It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two-fingered stone placement feels distant and cold
Post #1 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:33 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 50
Was liked: 8
OGS: wind&water
I can easily do the two-fingered stone placement; I just hate the way it feels. I like using my thumb. I feel more connection with the stone. I like to feel the stone in my hand as I place it on the board.

AND the no thumbs method seems stilted and formal!

I know it's a major faux pas, but I want it to change.

Yeah, it's tradition & culture, but...

Tired of being branded a "land lubber" and potentially losing cred and being judged.

It's time to broaden this area of Go.

Last edited by wind&water on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Two-fingered stone placement feels distant and cold
Post #2 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:59 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
wind&water wrote:
I know it's a major faux paux, but I want it to change.

Yeah, it's tradition & culture, but...

Tired of being branded a "land lubber" and potentially losing cred and being judged.

Ke Jie does it too so that's good company: viewtopic.php?p=239567#p239567

Personally, I've never cared much about it and won't look down on you for doing it how you like. In fact I find the people who obsess about it rather tiresome, and I was disappointed when a British player went on the radio following AlphaGo and ended up chastising the presenter about holding the stone wrongly: for gawd's sake man, you've got a few minutes to explain the game and attract people and you waste precious time with such negativity and irrelevant details (plus it's radio not TV).

This post by Uberdude was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, Charlie, Gomoto, wind&water

Post #3 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:32 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Personally, at the beginning I didn't find very natural to hold a go stone with my 2nd and 3rd fingers, but it quickly became a habit. After a go game, when I order a drink, I hold a coin in the same way. Nevertheless, I still occasionally use my thumb.

Last edited by jlt on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by jlt was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, wind&water

Post #4 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:45 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 24
Was liked: 21
Universal go server handle: kj01a
I've never met anyone who cared about this. If you're "losing cred" with your friends, they might be the weird ones.

This post by kj01a was liked by 7 people: Bill Spight, BlindGroup, Bonobo, Charlie, fireproof, Joaz Banbeck, wind&water

Post #5 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:50 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
Personally, I have no problem with any method of placing the stone on the intersections, as long as, after the move, the shapes are straight and the board wasn't moved or rotated. Some methods are faster than others, however, and you *must* press the clock with the same hand that places the stone and so you must be careful not to waste time by playing in a clumsy way. If you don't find it clumsy, that's perfectly fine.

HOWEVER... I do have a problem with opponents who leave the stones as much as 30% out of position (50% would be in the box, not on the lines, and 100% would be on the wrong intersection entirely) after every single move -- particularly in slow games where time allows for neatness. Some people do this a whole lot and even nudge other stones in the local area. Or leave stones overlapping each other, which becomes a problem later because those stones will "roll" off each other (given any impetus or vibration) and end up out of position when they settle.

If you can use your thumb and fore-finger to place stones in a way that's neat enough -- even in tight situations -- then go ahead. If it takes you longer, however, it's your decision.

This post by Charlie was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, wind&water

Post #6 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:44 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
I/we/all/most don't care. As long as you don't cause any hindrance.

This post by sybob was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, wind&water

Post #7 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
If I remember correctly, the Ing rules state that the stone must be placed with the index and the middle finger.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:42 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 27
There was a TV show in Korea where they put up amateurs against pros (with handicap), and if they managed to win, they gave them official Dan certificates. There was an amateur who was good enough to beat a pro handily with two stones, but he place the stones in the most awkward manner, because he never officially took lessons before. The pros commentating initially talked about how it was amusing that he holds the stones incorrectly every time, but had the skill essentially comparable to many professionals.

Moral of the story: Don't worry about judging. Let your skill speak for itself.

This post by negapesuo was liked by 3 people: Charlie, kj01a, wind&water

Post #9 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
How the stone is placed on the board is, in essence, immaterial. Just see how much it matters when playing on line. However, there is a culture and a gestural language in playing go. In that context the manner in which the a stone is played might matter. There is a well known description of playing go as "hand talk", well known in Japan and China and, probably in Korea, too. The "hand talk" comes from the meaning and intention of moves played on the board, the "hand" character also having the meaning move. However, the manner of placing the stone also conveys meaning, something that is almost entirely absent in playing on line. It conveys meaning if the stone is played with a crisp "click" versus gently, almost silently put on the board, or banged down energetically . The exchange of meaning this way greatly increases the enjoyment of playing. This aspect of playing is disappearing now, due to the decline of face-to-face playing in this era of playing on line.

This post by gowan was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, sybob, wind&water

Post #10 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 416
Was liked: 198
Quote:
Two-fingered stone placement feels distant and cold.

To me, it feels elegant and showing respect for the opponent.

This post by sorin was liked by: wind&water

Post #11 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:07 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 4
KGS: Seberle 8k
DGS: Seberle 7k
OGS: Seberle
Online playing schedule: KGS or OGS around 04:00-06:00 UTC most days
If the method seems awkward, I suppose you should avoid it. Go is a game and you should be enjoying it.

To me, the thumb and forefinger method seems awkward and it feels like the stone might slip. I got used to the two-fingered method very quickly the first time I played and it feels easier and more natural now. I always thought it developed not as an affectation, but because people realized they could place the stones more precisely and elegantly that way. I feel more in control of the stone with two fingers.

This post by seberle was liked by: wind&water

Post #12 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:56 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
sorin wrote:
Quote:
Two-fingered stone placement feels distant and cold.

To me, it feels elegant and showing respect for the opponent.

I sometimes feel like I'm giving the opponent the finger.

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: wind&water

Post #13 Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:23 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
As gowan points out, the two finger method allows you to make a click when you play a stone next to an adjacent stone on the point nearest to you. You can also make a click on an empty point, but you can do that with the thumb and forefinger, as well. The click is part of the esthetics of the game. Even computer programs make clicks when playing stones.

In addition, you can impress your non-go-playing friends when you take an M&M out of a bowl using your forefinger and third finger. :cool:

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 2 people: seberle, wind&water

Post #14 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:24 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 50
Was liked: 8
OGS: wind&water
I have noticed it's easier to get stones out of the bowls using the two-finger method; seems more natural.

This post by wind&water was liked by: seberle

Post #15 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:19 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
To me, the thumb and forefinger method seems awkward and it feels like the stone might slip. I got used to the two-fingered method very quickly the first time I played and it feels easier and more natural now. I always thought it developed not as an affectation, but because people realized they could place the stones more precisely and elegantly that way. I feel more in control of the stone with two fingers.

Correct - control is the key.

But two points:

1. It takes practice. Pros generally play with much thicker stones than amateurs. They therefore need to practise more. But when they can do it, it looks correspondingly more impressive. I think of it like the way NFL receivers can catch the ball an inch from the sideline and still land with two feet in play.

2. The ultimate test of control is to be able to bray the stone down hard enough to make it disintegrate. Kajiwara could do this. Of course there are people who cook their stones in vinegar or whatever so they can do this as a party trick. With Kajiwara it seems it was pure kiai.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 2 people: Gomoto, wind&water

Post #16 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:34 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
I can press down a switch on my keyboard in such a way that it desintegrates. :-)

This post by Gomoto was liked by: wind&water

Post subject:
Post #17 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:35 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Quote:
control is the key.
The two-finger mode is the result of natural evolution, with practice. Like many other skills, practice is a key. ( Ergonomic ways to hold a pen, a sword, a bat, a golf club, etc. -- no moral or legal requirements to hold a stone any particular way, but it's not unwise to study and research why the pros acquire this skill via natural evolution. )

Elegantly removing multiple stones is also quite difficult. :)

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo

Post #18 Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Bill Spight wrote:
In addition, you can impress your non-go-playing friends when you take an M&M out of a bowl using your forefinger and third finger. :cool:

Once I was introducing some young children to the game. After the M&M and Mentos stage of getting acquainted, and having instructed them to not put them in their mouth, I took a 'stone' (I put a Mentos in the bowl on beforehand) and ate it.
Made a good laugh.

This post by sybob was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, fireproof, yakcyll

Post #19 Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:27 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
“Two-fingered stone placement feels distant and cold” … like eating with chopsticks looked to me when I first saw it as a child … but as soon as I learned how to use them, it felt elegant and practical. Similar for me with placing stones with two fingers … like with chopsticks. Elegant, easier to place the stone without nudging other stones away when the board is full.

This post by Bonobo was liked by 2 people: Charlie, seberle

Post #20 Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:23 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
KGS: WinPooh
IGS: WinPooh
DGS: WinPooh
AlphaGo has no fingers at all. Which doesn't prevent it from playing at a rather decent level.

This post by WinPooh was liked by: Bonobo