It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Idea: a Netflix biographical drama on Michael Redmond and Go
Post #1 Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:44 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 1
I don’t think such a show exists yet, but just had this thought as titled and wondering if it could be moderately successful as a Netflix series/movie and for bringing Western and Eastern mainstream attention to Go.

Not everyone can manage the feat of Michael Redmond in studying Go, climbing the ranks and eventually becoming a 9p professional in Japan, and I would like to believe that if given the chance, he may have interesting stories about Go (in both technical and cultural perspectives) to tell even if only through an acted retelling of his involvement with Go.

In the meanwhile, I stumbled across a short video on his history with Go: https://youtu.be/gakDBinqr4M

If a Netflix biography of him becomes successful and helps boost the public’s awareness of and interest in Go, it would be a dream come true!

Post subject: Re: Idea: a Netflix biographical drama on Michael Redmond an
Post #2 Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:31 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 18
I am not sure if you are aware but there will be a netflix Movie about the Rivalry of Lee Changho and Cho Hunhyoen,"The Matcb" it will be published this year, it seems to have a good cast, it surely will get some attention!

Post #3 Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:41 am 
Beginner

baduk wrote:
I am not sure if you are aware but there will be a netflix Movie about the Rivalry of Lee Changho and Cho Hunhyoen,"The Matcb" it will be published this year, it seems to have a good cast, it surely will get some attention!

I think I have recently heard about that movie. I certainly hope it’ll get a good amount of attention, but a part of me still thinks most of the Western world may not care much unless the main cast features a Westerner if that makes any sense.

It may be too greedy of me wanting so much about Go from Netflix, but Go deserves more attention! ;-)

Post #4 Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:53 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 29
KGS: dankenzon
baduk wrote:

Just to clarify, it's not a Netflix movie. It was produced and done by others, Netflix only got the distribution.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:55 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 29
KGS: dankenzon
seloran wrote:
I don’t think such a show exists yet, but just had this thought as titled and wondering if it could be moderately successful as a Netflix series/movie and for bringing Western and Eastern mainstream attention to Go.

Not everyone can manage the feat of Michael Redmond in studying Go, climbing the ranks and eventually becoming a 9p professional in Japan, and I would like to believe that if given the chance, he may have interesting stories about Go (in both technical and cultural perspectives) to tell even if only through an acted retelling of his involvement with Go.

In the meanwhile, I stumbled across a short video on his history with Go: https://youtu.be/gakDBinqr4M

If a Netflix biography of him becomes successful and helps boost the public’s awareness of and interest in Go, it would be a dream come true!

I like your idea, but sadly such projects are not focused now by the producers.
I think the best aspiration for us would be a docu-series focusing each chapter in one player.
Something like "Mind Champions". then 30 mins letting us know about his/her travel thru all.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:08 pm 
Beginner

dankenzon wrote:
seloran wrote:

I think the best aspiration for us would be a docu-series focusing each chapter in one player.
Something like "Mind Champions". then 30 mins letting us know about his/her travel thru all.

When you mentioned "such projects are not focused now by the producers", was that some kind of well known or insider information?

It would be a shame to know such projects would not even be considered.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:57 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
dankenzon wrote:
baduk wrote:

Just to clarify, it's not a Netflix movie. It was produced and done by others, Netflix only got the distribution.

Release date is postponed: one of the main character actors got in trouble for drug stuff.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:28 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1018
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
dankenzon wrote:
seloran wrote:

How about one specifically about players that traveled to another country to play as a pro, from ancient times to Wu Qingyuan to Micheal Redmond and even the modern western 1p's. If The netflix people see not as a 囲碁 documentary, but a documentary about the trending topic of immigrants except they happen to be pro 바둑 players, then they are much, much, much more likely to consider it a viable project.

Post #9 Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:35 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Perhaps contacting the producers of AlphaGo and Surrounding Game would give you some background information on how to submit a concept and then push for funding and green lighting.