All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Time Going to Go Congress
Post #1 Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:37 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 2
Universal go server handle: zonepark
Hi All,

I am going to the US Go Congress for the first time this year and am very excited!

There is a major price difference for Registration Fee between Adult and Non-Participant ($425 to $110). Does anyone know the differences between them?

I don't plan on competing in the main tournament. I was hoping to play with others casually, meet a larger Go community, pick up some merch, watch games and attend lectures.

Do you need to be Registered Adult to play in the side? tourneys and go to lectures??

The website is not very clear on this.

Either way, I am looking forward to going and will do the full fee if it is definitely a better package. Just hoping for some guidance.

Any other advice about attending is welcomed and much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your time reading and responding.

Best,
ZP

This post by zonepark was liked by: Kirby

Post subject: Re: First Time Going to Go Congress
Post #2 Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:41 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
AFAIK, you can use the cheaper option if you won’t participate in the US Open, but I’m not 100% sure.

I will be there, though. We should meet up :tmbup:

Post #3 Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:59 pm 
Beginner

Kirby wrote:
AFAIK, you can use the cheaper option if you won’t participate in the US Open, but I’m not 100% sure.

Thank you Kirby, I was just looking at one of your self review posts. Make sure you get some sleep before Congress :) We will have to meet up.

This post by zonepark was liked by: Kirby

Post #4 Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:03 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Welcome! I will be there too. My advice would be to write to someone official (here is the contact page) and ask.

If you look at the 2018 site it says that "non-participants" means "attendees who are not participating in tournaments, simuls, lectures, or workshops." So officially it limits you to doing things like just hanging out, playing casual games, and buying merch, and side tournaments and lectures are pretty explicitly excluded. I think it is mostly meant for people like parents and spouses.

I guarantee you that once you show up you will want to attend lectures, check out some game review sessions, maybe play in a side tournament. And I would also encourage you to play in the Open! It is really the main event bonding everyone together. There is something about being in a big room with hundreds of people concentrating very hard that I find very calming and energizing at once.

That said, there are (almost certainly) not going to be any security guards scrutinizing everyone's passes with a baleful eye, so it wouldn't be hard to sneak into lectures (though you didn't hear it from me). But if you have no problem paying the full fee and being a full participant, I would go for it.

This post by dfan was liked by: Kirby

Post #5 Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:38 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
@dfan - if I'm not mistaken, it may be the first time we meet, as well. I'm looking forward to it :tmbup:

This post by Kirby was liked by: dfan

Post #6 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:53 am 
Beginner

dfan wrote:
Welcome! I will be there too. My advice would be to write to someone official (here is the contact page) and ask.

If you look at the 2018 site it says that "non-participants" means "attendees who are not participating in tournaments, simuls, lectures, or workshops." So officially it limits you to doing things like just hanging out, playing casual games, and buying merch, and side tournaments and lectures are pretty explicitly excluded. I think it is mostly meant for people like parents and spouses.

I guarantee you that once you show up you will want to attend lectures, check out some game review sessions, maybe play in a side tournament. And I would also encourage you to play in the Open! It is really the main event bonding everyone together. There is something about being in a big room with hundreds of people concentrating very hard that I find very calming and energizing at once.

That said, there are (almost certainly) not going to be any security guards scrutinizing everyone's passes with a baleful eye, so it wouldn't be hard to sneak into lectures (though you didn't hear it from me). But if you have no problem paying the full fee and being a full participant, I would go for it.

Thank you for this information and see you there!

Maybe I will play in the Open! I play on the internet and I have not played a full game over a real board so my counting could be bad. Are there people to help count if both players can't settle on a score?

I promise not to sneak into lectures haha tho I appreciate the looking out. I think I would regret not taking the leap and being able to experience everything.

Post #7 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:04 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
zonepark wrote:
I play on the internet and I have not played a full game over a real board so my counting could be bad. Are there people to help count if both players can't settle on a score?

A suggestion: before rearranging stones, take a photo of the board, so that you can refer to the picture if you and your opponent disagree on the score.

This post by jlt was liked by: zonepark

Post #8 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:53 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Agreed on taking pictures of the board before counting. I still do it in tournament games. You will find that the players are very welcoming of newbies and will be eager to help out. If both you and your opponent need help with manual counting, it will be easy to get help.

This post by dfan was liked by: zonepark

Post #9 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
zonepark wrote:
Maybe I will play in the Open! ...

If you don't you will be missing the essential experience. I say do it.

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: zonepark

Post #10 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:14 pm 
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement all!

Post #11 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:29 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
Kirby wrote:

Currently scheduled for Tuesday afternoon of congress :)