It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Are the avalanches still joseki?
Post #21 Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:21 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 916
Well, there's always some chance, however slim, that buried in the resulting fighting or in the future aji of the position is a blind spot that is much bigger than 20%. Bots have had blind spots bigger than that...

This post by lightvector was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #22 Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:48 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
lightvector wrote:
Well, there's always some chance, however slim, that buried in the resulting fighting or in the future aji of the position is a blind spot that is much bigger than 20%. Bots have had blind spots bigger than that...

True. Two human blind spots include making the 4-4 corner opening obsolete in even games for more than 300 years, AFAICT, and making the mini-Chinese obsolete for around 200 years. ;)

IMO not playing the 4-4 was simply prejudice against it as suitable only for handicap play or old-fashioned as a setup stone. Yes, play was more territorial than it had been under the setup stones, but the 5-4 was played, and it is less territorial than the 4-4.

As for the mini-Chinese, it was played in handicap games with an open corner adjacent to one with a 4-4 stone. I don't know why it became obsolete. AFAICT, it was revived after the Chinese opening became popular. A few years ago I chanced across it with a number of examples in one of the ancient go books online.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: sorin

Post #23 Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:00 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 129
Was liked: 27
Universal go server handle: Applebaps
Online playing schedule: Evenings M-F UTC-9, Saturday mornings
In this age of AI, everyone now speaks the language of AI. Reviewers talk about "win rates" and percentages based on what the computer tells them, as if it was their idea. 90% of the posts on this forum are just AI-related.

It's probably for the best, since AI are the strongest players now and we're not really qualified to say what's optimal without their help. But it still kills a lot of the joy, imo.

Personally, I say you should play what you want to play and let your opponent show you why it's wrong, if they can. Disclaimer: I'm DDK :lol:

Post #24 Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:26 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 208
Was liked: 265
GD Posts: 200
Don't worry, the novelty will wear off soon enough.

It's as if some new players have just turned up at our go club. They're very strong but inarticulate. So we're all figuring out the best way to interrogate them, how to get them to talk sense.

It's only a few months since we've been able to put superhuman software onto a home PC at low cost, so it's still all very new. Give it a year and it will be just one thread of the discussions, not an obsession.

But please do stick around during that year and keep enjoying the non-AI content! If I've got time after work I'll post a (human) tsumego problem for you: I saw something interesting in a book yesterday. Yes, a printed paper one. They're still out there!

This post by xela was liked by: Applebaps

Post #25 Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:04 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 129
Was liked: 27
Universal go server handle: Applebaps
Online playing schedule: Evenings M-F UTC-9, Saturday mornings
xela wrote:
It's as if some new players have just turned up at our go club. They're very strong but inarticulate. So we're all figuring out the best way to interrogate them, how to get them to talk sense.

I like this analogy a lot!

Post #26 Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
Having translated Fujisawa Hideyuki's book on the avalanche I took a special interest in a couple of the comments here and an a related thread. I even made time to write a long article giving chapter and verse for my own claims, but just as I finished I got the infamous Windows blue screen. I haven't the will to do it all again. You'll have to trust me when I say I made my assertions on the basis of five joseki dictionaries, plus commentaries. I'll just give the headlines here.

First, Gomoto said:
Quote:
nuff said
(Go Seigen and Alpha Go agreed on this move, the matter is closed ;-) )

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X X . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . O O X B . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

This was meant to prove that a fairly standard human move, the connection at the 3-3 point, in place of the circled sagari, was wrong.

Various problems with this claim. One is that Go never played it, but he did play the 3-3 point (in 1931). The sagari was first played against Go by Fujisawa Hosai in 1958, and very many top pros have played it, too, well before AlphaGo.

Trying to back the claim that there are things that bots are teaching us that we have to "unlearn", Bill took this up later and said:

Quote:
Well, now the bots tell you to play :b1: below, instead. :)

G
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bc
$$ . . . . . . |
$$ . . b a . . |
$$ . . O X . . |
$$ . . O X . . |
$$ . O X . . . |
$$ . . 1 . . . |
$$ . . . . . . |
$$-------------+[/go]

Do you say, Oh, no! I couldn't? Or do you say, Thanks?

Some things wrong with this, too, though not all directly in the quotes above. One claim is that pros say the 3-3 move is joseki, and that's what we have to unlearn. My "chapter and verse" was to prove that pros haven't claimed it was joseki. They use phrases such as "common shape", and what they said specifically was that Black can make this move if he wants to avoid complications such as ladders and kos, and if he does he does not necessarily get a disadvantage. Nothing about equality, It is in fact a fuseki move. There are a couple of josekis that do follow from this starting point. It seems often overlooked that almost all josekis have fuseki moves within them, and not all josekis start on move 1.

But the main mistake is that the bots haven't proved the 3-3 move is either wrong or bad.

It is true that LZ gives the sagari a very slight preference over connection on an otherwise empty board - 45.6% to 44.8% after 18k playouts for the sagari alone, which I've been given to understand in any case lies within the margin of error.

But in the following position, LZ gave the 3-3 connection at A as best at 46.2% (17k playouts) and the sagari didn't get a rating. The second best was the nobi at B and the small avalanche hane at C got a good work-out early on before fading. The play envisaged on the rest of the board seemed to be all in the lower left. Note that White has a stone in the lower right, so the complications of ladders (which Black, in pro opinion, wants to avoid) would generally favour White. LZ seems to be thinking like a pro.

In the following case, however, the sagari A was the top move after 26k playouts (46.0%).

What I found interesting was that the presumed subsequent play was now mostly in the lower right, and the variations shown there looked very ladderacious (may be my imagination as I'm not sure how that ties in with LZ's alleged weakness in ladders).

So what I infer from all that is:

1. The pros have been misrepresented in their opinions, in part, and overall are actually supported by LZ.

2. We don't have to unlearn the 3-3 move yet. We just have to learn to play it for the right reasons (like Go Seigen).

And I can't help but note again that a slew of joseki books and commentaries by humans gave very clear and useful advice using words. What LZ offered could be made sense of, but only by using the words and principles already learnt from the human corpus.

At the very least the matter is not closed.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, gowan, sorin

Post #27 Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:34 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Like Sorin (on another level OC) I long stopped playing the avalanche. When I approach high and they attach, I'll hane. When I attach and they play into my arms and hane, I'll connect. Case closed. I don't like long corner patterns that dominate a quarter of the board. For similar reasons of complexity and "longness" I don't do early 3-3 but rather approach. So, John, I'm much more conservative in my play than in my study of the game :)

I'm with Gomoto on the term "joseki" and interpret it as "established corner pattern". Not all established corner patterns are the best choice in each situation and some have gone out of fashion altogether. At my level, the margin of error in choice of corner pattern is irrelevant in the light of the errors I make in the middle game. That doesn't mean the evolution of positional judgment doesn't interest me, on the contrary!

Post #28 Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:07 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
If I recall correctly, the heyday of the avalanche pattertns would have been in the 1950's through the 1970's. Around the time of Rin Kaiho and Ishida Yoshio, I think, many games in the Honinbo title matches involved avalanche patterns.

I wonder whether the long corner patterns that dominate at least a fourth of the board could be seen as a form of kettei uchi? After the large pattern has finished a lot of the shape in that area has been settled.

Post #29 Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:09 pm 
Honinbo

xela wrote:

Is goboarding legal? ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #30 Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:29 pm 
Honinbo

John Fairbairn wrote:
But the main mistake is that the bots haven't proved the 3-3 move is either wrong or bad.

Not guilty, your honor! I think you are reading too much into brief comments.

That said, your post is excellent! :D

Quote:
At the very least the matter is not closed.

Indeed not.

However, as I explore the Elf commentaries, I don't remember finding one where the 4th line push that creates the large avalanche is a good play. I think there is a Go Seigen game where the 4th line stones are already there and then the hane is played against them. So I'm pretty sure that the large avalanche is, at best, situational, rather than joseki. The earliest I might be able to write an article on the large avalanche would be next fall, if anybody cares. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #31 Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:03 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 916
Things that Bill Spight thinks are worth writing about are things I'm interested in reading.

Post #32 Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:55 pm 
Honinbo

lightvector wrote:
Things that Bill Spight thinks are worth writing about are things I'm interested in reading.

Thank you, sir. Likewise. And, like many people, I am interested in John Fairbairn's writings, as well. Among the writings of many others who post here. :)

Visualize whirled peas.