It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How should we clean go equipment in light of COVID-19?
Post #21 Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:34 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 63
Was liked: 18
sybob wrote:
SeattleGo wrote:
And no, for this particular species of coronavirus, I don't think detailed testing has been done for different surfaces.

Apparently, the U.S. CDC just released an article about this specific virus lasting on different surfaces (wood, metal, carton).
Haven't read it myself though.

I just read a New York Times article about a study that appeared yesterday in the New England Journal of Medicine. Apparently this virus can survive for three days on steel and stainless steel (contrary to what I said above) and plastic. On cardboard, 24 hours. On copper, only 4 hours.

Most troubling is that it seems likely that it can be transmitted by aerosol, and remain suspended in the air for about 30 minutes. But the "virus does not linger in the air at high enough levels to be a risk to most people who are not physically near an infected person". Which gives some rationale to the 6 feet / 2 meters distance requirements. Still, it's a real concern for health care workers.

Editing to add this from the Chemical and Engineering News from March 13, 2020.
  • Soap, detergent, bleach, alcohol, and probably ammonia products should deactivate the novel coronavirus, based on their efficacy against similar viruses.
  • The EPA regulates antimicrobial products (as pesticides), and has an "emerging viral pathogen" program that gives manufacturers an expedited way to claim their products work against the novel coronavirus -- though such information probably won't appear on labels, but rather on websites etc.
  • It's important to follow the directions on the label, which often say to leave the surface wet for ten minutes. Many people wipe it off too soon, leaving the surface looking clean but not actually disinfected.

Post #22 Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:29 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
In my place of the world we have now rules in place that stopped offline go completely. Skype and online go is a pretty nice combination to stay in contact with the go friends.

This post by Gomoto was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #23 Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
In my go club we use KGS + Discord, it's quite convenient to review games afterwards (or to chat about any topic).

This post by jlt was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, SeattleGo

Post #24 Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:14 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 63
Was liked: 18
jlt wrote:
In my go club we use KGS + Discord, it's quite convenient to review games afterwards (or to chat about any topic).

We're doing the same now with Seattle Go Center, though it seems like OGS is more popular than KGS these days. We're running a Discord server, and a Google Hangout, and the Discord server is about 3x more popular than the Google Hangout. I guess that Discord already has a strong following among gamers.