Post subject: Help wanted! Build a Go blog authoring tool
Post #1 Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:13 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 30
Was liked: 87
KGS: 5d
OGS: 1d-2k
https://forums.online-go.com/t/help-nee ... tool/34132

Was helping someone with whatever I can to set up go platform. One of the things I feel sorely missing is a Go Blog authoring tool. One where the author can write in prose and set up SGFs

In China there are blogs on Go but the real issue is that the goban sequences are NOT interactive.

See 【胡耀宇】申旻埈白84到底是不是好棋?-腾讯野狐围棋 https://www.foxwq.com/news/11484.html

This make it hard to follow and is a friction to enjoyment!

So we found something like https://prosemirror.net/ which is customizable editor I suspect we can add SGF editing ability to it. But we lack the technical know-how. I wonder if there are technically incline people here who can help out create such a Go blog author tool.

Please DM me or reply if you can help out.

Post subject: Re: Help wanted! Build a Go blog authoring tool
Post #2 Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:51 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 110
Was liked: 155
GD Posts: 1190
KGS: apetresc
IGS: apetresc
OGS: apetresc
Universal go server handle: apetresc
If all you need is displaying interactive diagrams based on SGFs, you already have a huge number of options for simple Javascript-based embeddable widgets like EidoGo (what this forum uses), jgoboard, or many others. They should be very easy to integrate with any blogging engine that lets you embed Javascript.

If you want your authors to actually edit the SGFs directly in the blog engine, that's probably a more complicated project (although it would still use one of those frameworks I mentioned above as a foundation). But it also seems unnecessary to me; I suspect authors would prefer to do their SGF editing in a full-featured desktop client and just paste the SGF in.

Does that answer your question, or am I missing something?

Post #3 Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:56 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 30
Was liked: 87
KGS: 5d
OGS: 1d-2k
Yeah Thanks. I just have to solve the issue of displaying a tree in a flow. Perhaps some kind of SGF processsor would do the trick. Thanks.

BTW I found this https://godokoro.net/en/ which is exactly the effect I want to achieve. Shame that it looks like it isn't being developed.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
apetresc wrote:

If you want your authors to actually edit the SGFs directly in the blog engine, that's probably a more complicated project (although it would still use one of those frameworks I mentioned above as a foundation). But it also seems unnecessary to me; I suspect authors would prefer to do their SGF editing in a full-featured desktop client and just paste the SGF in...

I have to disagree here. As a poster, I would really welcome the ability to add variations and commentary directly in L19. For OP's it may be more comfortable to work offline. However, when responding to a post, downloading the sgf, editing it, and then uploading it again is a lot more work. This is complicated by the cases where the download fails because the embedded sgf text is too long!

The problem that I would see is that we would not want posters to edit the original sgf, but we would like the ability to copy the file within a new post and edit it directly on screen.

This post by ez4u was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, hyperpape, xiaodai

Post #5 Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:57 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
I'm not a software creator, so this comes from a user perspective. There's another reason why I'm not often downloading and uploading edited sgf files and rather edit go diagrams in the format L19 and Sensei's Library foster: having an immediate, visual starting point. In SGF you have to make the reader jump to the position, or you'd have to convert the previous moves into stones.

SL had a kind of a first stab at a solution, with its embedded links, but it was still heavy on the WIKI-editor.

So, on top of editing an SGF online, I'd like to have a conversion step to "start at move x"

BTW - I don't know if people still remember this great function of SL, which I use for L19 too:

https://senseis.xmp.net/tools/sgf2diagram.php

Last edited by Knotwilg on Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, ez4u, hyperpape

Post #6 Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:11 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
I think that on a blog, you don't really want to be working with the sgf format. It's just not particularly sweet to use it for creating diagrams.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:52 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Javaness2 wrote:
I think that on a blog, you don't really want to be working with the sgf format. It's just not particularly sweet to use it for creating diagrams.

What would you suggest? Thanks. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.