It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Impact of AI on Pro Study and Teaching Appraoches
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:12 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Teaching with understanding and explanation is an advantage to teaching by example because the former includes the latter. This, however, does not mean that typical Western teachers would be just better than typical Eastern teachers, who also have other qualities: fast LD reading, fast value calculation. AI may have been a wake up call for overcoming too example-focussed teaching but AI does not do wonders other than strong AI play and learning from that as an alternative source of examples.

Post #2 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:30 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 18
I heavily disagree that the european teachers are superiour by any means,the teachers at least in my experience in China have always excellent ways to explain ais move with tewari or comparing it with well known positions,they force the children to think for themself so much more than in europe that is more focused on fun and joy,its a very big misconception that they only rely on ai and that they play moves they dont understand,its basicly the opposite
I can not figure out any single point that could be better here than there.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:58 pm 
Judan

Apparently you know the wrong European teachers when you suggest that they would not force the pupils to think for themselves, would emphasise fun, would rely on AI and would play moves that they don't understand. Tewari applies only occasionally so should not be over-emphasised. Your experience in China does, however, suggest that Chinese teaching must have improved greatly compared to what I have seen Chinese professionals explaining at European tournaments.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:18 am 
Dies with sente

I think they might be lost in translation, so they cant express themself as good as they want to,also I believe they threat us more like a customer when they are in europe, i think forcing the student to think is also applied here,but i meant not the same degree and consequence as in for example china.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:37 am 
Judan

Usually, they speak English or good translation has been provided. Of course, there are occasional cases of language barrier.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:57 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 4
RobertJasiek wrote:
Apparently you know the wrong European teachers when you suggest that they would not force the pupils to think for themselves, would emphasise fun, would rely on AI and would play moves that they don't understand. Tewari applies only occasionally so should not be over-emphasised. Your experience in China does, however, suggest that Chinese teaching must have improved greatly compared to what I have seen Chinese professionals explaining at European tournaments.

After all, everyone has their own goals in the game. Someone learns strategic thinking, and someone does not want to strain, and just gets fun.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:22 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 83
KGS: Pio2001
Four things are important in order to study go, in no particular order:
-Study theory
-Practice tsumego
-Study pro games
-Play a lot

The impact of AI affects the third point only.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:53 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Pio2001 wrote:
Four things are important in order to study go, in no particular order:
-Study theory
-Practice tsumego
-Study pro games
-Play a lot

The impact of AI affects the third point only.

Most professionals I heard or saw on the matter highlight 3 activities:

1. play
2. review (preferably with someone else, preferably stronger)
3. tsumego

AI now affects #2

AI also affects the often but not always mentioned "studying pro games"

On topic: in my own reviews, I will always consult AI. The added value of human tutoring at any level is that you can spot patterns in the reviewee's mistakes and suggest a prioritized learning. That can close their mind too. The benefit of a teacher beyond expertise is discipline and motivation, depending on what drives a student.

On the topic of culture in teaching: I know a few things about why the Chinese excel at table tennis. Westerners go there to learn the latest secrets. Not everything translates well in our language or transfers well from teacher's expectations to pupil attitude. We tend to magnify the repetitive aspect of their training and ignore the short but focused explanations that precede it, which carry a lot of attention to detail.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:54 am 
Judan

Knotwilg wrote:

1. play
3. tsumego

They also highlight evaluation (positional judgment or endgame calculations) and strategy but often do not explain these well enough.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:41 am 
Dies with sente

RobertJasiek wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:

1. play
3. tsumego

They also highlight evaluation (positional judgment or endgame calculations) and strategy but often do not explain these well enough.

Yes in Asia they put high emphasize on it and study it separately, its also the funniest difference of skills, an average european player rarely counts (from my experience) and in china it seemed even 1kyu count faster and more accurate than 6dans in europe,its a different world

Post #11 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:44 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
If 1k count better in China than in Europe (seems like a broad generalization, by the way), some other aspect of their play must be worse. Otherwise, they wouldn't be 1k, right?

Post #12 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:55 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Kirby wrote:
If 1k count better in China than in Europe (seems like a broad generalization, by the way), some other aspect of their play must be worse. Otherwise, they wouldn't be 1k, right?

The other hypothesis is that counting isn't very important! :mrgreen:

Post #13 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:29 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
dfan wrote:
Kirby wrote:

The other hypothesis is that counting isn't very important! :mrgreen:

Hehe, right.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:32 pm 
Dies with sente

Well it depends if one prefers winning more often or not;)

Post #15 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:36 pm 
Dies with sente

Kirby wrote:

Absolutely their opening and direction is bad,(compared to european standards) it is generalzaton,but the general idea is true for sure although i have no factual proof,rather experience

Post #16 Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:29 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
I also disagree that Western teachers are better. I don't remember being taught mindfulness at school. Now on YouTube I find many trainers of the body of Chinese youtubers who really explain much better.

Post #17 Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:23 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
afibigidea wrote:
I also disagree that Western teachers are better. I don't remember being taught mindfulness at school. Now on YouTube I find many trainers of the body of Chinese youtubers who really explain much better.
I find that mindfulness is increased after a period of effortful study. One is able to visualize better than when one is a beginner. There are things of which I am aware now more than before. For one, direction of play is a bit easier for me now, even though this is one skill that will always require improvement.

Post #18 Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:38 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 33
RobertJasiek wrote:
Teaching with understanding and explanation is an advantage to teaching by example because the former includes the latter.

I don't think you're making a real point here. Your distinction between teaching methods does not seem valid to me.
I have never seen anyone "teach by example" without giving some explanation and without trying to make the student understand some point/concept.
How would that even work? Seems like a straw man argument, even though I don't get what for.

Examples are absolutely essential to learning. I would even argue that it's possible to learn by example alone - without explanation (as AI has done - as well as the first humans who ever played Go).
However it's not possible the other way round.
Of course explanation can speed up the learning process tremendously and is therefore super important for teaching.

And used by basically every teacher I've seen.

Communication and presentation skills are a different matter of course.

Post #19 Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:29 pm 
Judan

I have seen many Asian professionals teaching only / almost only by example, showing it without explanation.

Learning without examples is possible. I sometimes use it in or outside go. It works by general, always correct statements. Learning by combining general statements and examples is also possible.