|Life In 19x19
|Replies to Redditt Threads
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||RobertJasiek [ Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:20 pm ]|
|Post subject:||Replies to Redditt Threads|
Currently, Redditt is so extremely buggy that I cannot post anything there using Firefox. Redditt jumbles my message drafts up. Therefore, I reply in this thread.
The value of each opening move
https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments ... ning_move/
Speaking of "the value of each opening move" uses the definitive article to suggest that there would be exactly one value of each opening move. One can, however, think of different kinds of values. Furthermore, citing a value generated by a particular AI engine version contradicts the idea of exactly one value because every version of every AI engine can generate a different value. It is necessary to define what kind of value one means. Possible kinds of values include these:
1) The perfect play score after the move.
2) The difference of the perfect play score after the move minus the perfect play score before the move.
3) The difference of the perfect play score after the move minus the perfect play score after a pass.
4) An evaluation of the move by some particular evaluation theory, such as related to komi, positional judgement or endgame evaluation.
5) A particular value generated by a particular AI engine version.
We do not know (1) to (3), which would be the most meaningful values. There are several evaluation theories for (4). For (5), we must first of all understand that values should only be interpreted relatively to each other and that they contain prejudice, such as overlooking perfectly valid alternative early opening moves. We must not believe in such values as if they were a religion. Nor must we believe in old opening principles as a gospel.
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]|
|Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group