It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: War in Austria
Post #1 Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Last weekend I noticed that the Vienna Open was going on. As I went to check the crosstable, I found out that sadly two of the greats of the game there had died this year. That led me to read through 'Pok's Go Space' again where I was reminded of the article here https://pokspace.goverband.at/essays/beginnings.htm

Code:
Yet, for reasons, which appear to me at the same time too boring and too ridiculous to reconstruct them in detail, the Go-scene in Vienna split into two opposing camps in the late 70ies. This conflict entailed even a court-suit and paralyzed Austrian Go for years.

Is there any reasonably neutral account of this fight?

Post subject: Re: War in Austria
Post #2 Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:47 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
Is there any reasonably neutral account of this fight?

I can't recall any details but I can confirm it was a major spat, and the horrified Japanese tried to intervene a little.

But, actually, warring factions within European and US go associations seem to be the norm. In Japan and Korea, too, come to that. China is more controlled institutionally, but there are plenty of spats between top players.

There was another bit of friction in Central Europe in the early 70s and that was the presence of a Czech player who was mysteriously able to travel to all the European events at a time when travel overseas by almost all people in the Communist bloc was close to impossible. He was assumed to be a spy (and one of the chapters in Art Of War is on espionage). Maybe he was also an agitator. After all, Czecho and Vienna were right next door...

But in go administration it seems you don't actually need a Third Man to start a fight. Two will do nicely.

Post subject: Re: War in Austria
Post #3 Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:34 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Javaness2 wrote:
Last weekend I noticed that the Vienna Open was going on. As I went to check the crosstable, I found out that sadly two of the greats of the game there had died this year. That led me to read through 'Pok's Go Space' again where I was reminded of the article here https://pokspace.goverband.at/essays/beginnings.htm
Snip...

Thanks for this link!