Post subject: Demand of Go Contents in English
Post #1 Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:24 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 9
KGS: zafuri95
IGS: zafuri
OGS: zafuri95
Online playing schedule: Playing on FoxGo majority of the time.

Find me @ gosenpai
Hello everyone!

It's been a while for me to post something in this forum, but time-to-time I find that this is the more comfortable place for me to write a thought and let the discussion happen naturally.

I am currently 2D in FoxGo, and has since running physical classes after the control order of Covid-19 is uplifted here in Malaysia. I've been teaching mostly beginners with 0 knowledge about the game, and my audiences are varied from children of 4 years old to adults in the 60s.

One thing I've learned is that there's really ALOT of people who totally has little to no knowledge about the game, only "slightly" recognize it from Korean Dramas or movies and to some extent, games. I am also taking into consideration not many are actually seriously consider improving themselves to Dan level. Most if not all, are looking for a good leisure activity that is brain stimulating and fun only.

I've been teaching mostly in Chinese language, which is my mother tongue, and I realized after teaching to students who speaks English natively, they struggled to find contents that can help them "after" the class.

It made me wonder if the struggle is the same to players of other countries, and I am assuming the same trend may also occur for Go players in the English speaking community, but I am not sure, so looking to verify it from experiences of everyone here in this forum on how huge is the demand of Go contents in English.

Post subject: Re: Demand of Go Contents in English
Post #2 Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:46 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 18
There is content iut there, but nothing really systematic;,but for people in the west its allright, one has to know about the keyeäwords to fimd good content

Post #3 Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:45 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
There is a lot of content for SDK players, but I didn't see much content for players between beginner and 10k.

P.S. This site is a good starting point: https://www.learn-go.net/

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:35 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
https://senseis.xmp.net/

There is a beginner section linked on the front page.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:56 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Since 2021 I've been watching more YouTube as I've gotten dumber and read less. For those who like YouTube,
Channels that started before AlphaGo, the OG's:
29 Aug 2006 Legendary OG Harry Weerheijm's EuroGoTV
03 Oct 2011 An Younggil 8p, David Omerond, Jingning Xue Sadly AlphaGo Overwhelmed the entire flow they had going on
14 Oct 2011 Kim Seungjun, Diana Koszegi's BIBA academy for finding your marriage partner through 바둑
13 Jan 2013 I'm including a Chinese Amatuear here because it covers pro content at a time it was scarce on YouTube
04 Dec 2013 Kim Yoonyoung A real OG among OG's, And this video is wholesomeness itself
27 Mar 2014 Inseong Hwang The ex-insei, the myth, the Legendary OG
16 Oct 2014 Hajin Lee aka Haylee Maas, Sadly a couple of ungrateful morons insulted her over microtransactions in the comments section of the BadukPop introduction videos, and then shortly after she stopped bothering . . .
2010 to 2014 Not YouTube but even better, the KBA's WBaduk with Lee Semi, Lee Seunghuk, Lee Hajin, Cho Hyeyeon, Choi Dongyuen!

Post-AlphaGo, AlphaGo, In 2019 and 2020, quite a few channels suddenly appeared . . .
5 Sept 2016 Lot's of pro-based content
04 Oct 2016 Stephanie Yin, Ryan Li
2 Apr 2019 Cho Hyeyeon A real OG who shockingly, when she was #1 in Korea and even since before she the #1 ranked native Korean women for a long time despite forfeiting some games, was generously traveling to Europe and then later the Americas teaching us baduk simpletons. for sure she has Continuous Grace . . .
30 Apr 2019 Yoon Youngsoon
16 Jun 2019 Do Eunkyo
12 Oct 2019 Cho Yeonwoo
17 Dec 2019 Park Youngwoon
15 Feb 2020 Evan Cho, like Inseong Hwang a former insei
29 Mar 2020 Micheal Redmond, the pro, myth, legend
13 Jun 2020 Antti Törmänen and friends of GoofTen and later NihonKiin pro exam fame where he played against the likes of Shibano Toramaru and Ueno Asami
04 Feb 2021 Cho Yeonwoo, Yoon Yunsoon combine to create pure awesomeness and epic dance moves
12 Mar 2021 Including Ichiriki Ryo, who was one of the pros who reviewed Ant
23 May 2022 It's Go, it's Magic, it's GoMagic!

Last edited by Elom0 on Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:19 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 24
DGS: bugcat
https://senseis.xmp.net/?Youtubers

https://senseis.xmp.net/?ProReviews

Post #7 Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:19 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 155
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
At the early levels, there are some books and leaflets free for use. I assume you're familiar with this page, but just in case. Almost at the end, there's a section for online books.

Take care