Post #1 Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:00 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I decided to take a look the the Euro team championships to see how it had gone and noticed this

Board 1 Rob van Zeijst 7d (vanzeijst) – Ondrej Silt 6d (manocska) 1-0
Team Czechia challenged the result before the appeals commission

http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/euroteamchamps

Anybody know what happened that's causing an appeal?

Post subject: Re: Euro Team Championship match appeal
Post #2 Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:22 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 41
oren wrote:
I decided to take a look the the Euro team championships to see how it had gone and noticed this

Board 1 Rob van Zeijst 7d (vanzeijst) – Ondrej Silt 6d (manocska) 1-0
Team Czechia challenged the result before the appeals commission

http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/euroteamchamps

Anybody know what happened that's causing an appeal?

oops, I missed this thread. The time limits were not set correctly. Additionally there is a claim that the 'league manager' said the time limits were ok when asked by one player. Obviously, this is unverifiable, unlike the time limits.

The relevant rule is: If mistakes in colours or time-settings are found within the first six moves the game should be stopped and restarted with correct parameters. After move seven the (wrong) settings are valid for the game. Wrong komi can be adjusted at the end of the game

Post #3 Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:53 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 162
Was liked: 15
Universal go server handle: betterlife
As the league A manager i can clarify a little i hope.
Javaness wrote:
oops, I missed this thread. The time limits were not set correctly.

There is no proof of that. When Ondrey entered byoyomi it appeared to run out very fast. I was not present at this very moment so i can not tell. But both players said afterwards that it run out very fast.
Javaness wrote:
Additionally there is a claim that the 'league manager' said the time limits were ok when asked by one player. Obviously, this is unverifiable, unlike the time limits.

This is wrong. I said "i don't know". In fact i still don't know if it is possible to see the byoyomi settings when a game is running. In the games overview there was the number 0, but i have seen it only after the game was over. Don't know if it was at 10 when it started or if it changes when byoyomi has run out ...
Javaness wrote:
The relevant rule is: If mistakes in colours or time-settings are found within the first six moves the game should be stopped and restarted with correct parameters. After move seven the (wrong) settings are valid for the game. Wrong komi can be adjusted at the end of the game

Correct.
Additionally there is rule 10.4 ..cut .. The last date and time to start any game in the match is the original planned date (Tuesday) at 21:30 GMT. Games played after this date are not valid and will be counted as not played for both parties (see §15)

Post #4 Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:04 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks for the clarification. In glGo I may not be able to set up matches easily, but I can clearly see byoyomi settings and maintime in ongoing games.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:10 pm 
Dies in gote

Javaness wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. In glGo I may not be able to set up matches easily, but I can clearly see byoyomi settings and maintime in ongoing games.

Do you know if the number changes if you run out of time? Or does it stay the same? And where do you see the number of stones used, e.g. 25?

Post #6 Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:20 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
It's nice to see that IGS is finally deciding to make some improvements.

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #7 Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:54 am 
Lives with ko

betterlife wrote:
Javaness wrote:

Do you know if the number changes if you run out of time? Or does it stay the same? And where do you see the number of stones used, e.g. 25?

Well actually it might not be as simple as I first thought. In the "Room Listing" I can see the number of minutes selected for overtime - but I can't see the number of stones. I can't actually see the maintime - although if I join the game I can see the maintime.

Attachments:
Snapshot 2010-11-25 18-46-05.jpg
Snapshot 2010-11-25 18-46-05.jpg [ 84.2 KiB | Viewed 9774 times ]

Post #8 Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:31 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 41
Judging from that listing, the majority of those taking white were unaware that they might have to adjust komi to 6.5 before starting the game - something to make clearer for the next round, I think.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:07 pm 
Dies in gote

rottenhat wrote:
Judging from that listing, the majority of those taking white were unaware that they might have to adjust komi to 6.5 before starting the game - something to make clearer for the next round, I think.

Yes definitely.

In the pandaGo-Client: Menu of the game window "edit" -> "Change Komi" -> enter "6.5"

Or type in the console "Komi 6.5"

The opponent has to accept the "new" komi in a little window with an ok button!

Post #10 Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:30 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 41
betterlife wrote:
Yes definitely.

In the pandaGo-Client: Menu of the game window "edit" -> "Change Komi" -> enter "6.5"

Or type in the console "Komi 6.5"

The opponent has to accept the "new" komi in a little window with an ok button!

Well, a further problem was not being able to set the match conditions correctly from GoPanda - neither I nor my opponent could get it to accept main time of 60 minutes. Eventually we got the game set using the console. I am not entirely surprised that my opponent did not notice that komi was set to -5.5 - I am not sure what he was presented with on the receiving end of the Match request or whether he had any indication at all that komi would not be the standard 6.5.

But these are just little teething problems - overall I think it's a terrific event and I very much appreciate the work that is being put into it by the organisers.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:26 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 259
Any news on this topic?

Post #12 Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:49 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 51
GD Posts: 300
KGS: breakfast
I guess, referee (appeal commission) will ask to finish this game with correct settings.
It will be my decision (if I am a referee)

Post #13 Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
And I thought after the EGC that if people can't handle their clock it is their own fault and nobody else is to blame. ;P

Post #14 Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 19
DGS: willemien
tapir wrote:
And I thought after the EGC that if people can't handle their clock it is their own fault and nobody else is to blame. ;P

seeing the rules (http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/euroteamchamps/4 )
Quote:

Article 3 Playing on the internet – general aspects

4. Both captains are responsible that their players choose the right rule-set, colours, thinking time, komi and byoyomi
5. If mistakes in colours or time-settings are found within the first six moves the game should be stopped and restarted with correct parameters. After move seven the (wrong) settings are valid for the game. Wrong komi can be adjusted at the end of the game
6. The player with the black stones invites the player with the white stones at the beginning of the game
7. A game is lost by time if a player fails to play 25 moves in the defined byoyomi period (10 minutes)

3.5 implies that the time settings stands after 6 moves. (but at least 3 people are involved in it)

The komi settings can be corrected at the end " Wrong komi can be adjusted at the end of the game" but must it been noticed and claimed before the seventh move?

The sad thing is that (if everything was done according to the rules that Rob van Zeijst should have set the timesettings (rule 3.6) and that both captains are responsible (it is not mentioned anywhere who they are)

luckely the appeals commission ( http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/euroteamchamps/13 )

has representatives of both countries (and a Russian) What if only one country was represented?

Lot to think about :ugeek:

Post #15 Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:33 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
willemien wrote:
tapir wrote:

seeing the rules (http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/euroteamchamps/4 )

I think tapir was referring to breakfast's post, where he advocates a course of action that is inconsistent with the one in his own dispute with Rob van Zeijst at the EGC 2010. There it was ruled, in Alex' favor, that the clock is the responsibility of the players themselves. Here he advocates that faulty clock settings should not be the responsibility of the player.

Quote:
Quote:

Article 3 Playing on the internet – general aspects

4. Both captains are responsible that their players choose the right rule-set, colours, thinking time, komi and byoyomi
5. If mistakes in colours or time-settings are found within the first six moves the game should be stopped and restarted with correct parameters. After move seven the (wrong) settings are valid for the game. Wrong komi can be adjusted at the end of the game
6. The player with the black stones invites the player with the white stones at the beginning of the game
7. A game is lost by time if a player fails to play 25 moves in the defined byoyomi period (10 minutes)

3.5 implies that the time settings stands after 6 moves. (but at least 3 people are involved in it)

The komi settings can be corrected at the end " Wrong komi can be adjusted at the end of the game" but must it been noticed and claimed before the seventh move?

No, the six move limit is specifically mentioned a only applying to colours and time settings.

Quote:
The sad thing is that (if everything was done according to the rules that Rob van Zeijst should have set the timesettings (rule 3.6) and that both captains are responsible (it is not mentioned anywhere who they are)

Why is that sad? :scratch:

Quote:
luckely the appeals commission ( http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/euroteamchamps/13 )

has representatives of both countries (and a Russian) What if only one country was represented?

Normal procedure is for any player with a personal stake in the dispute to be replaced by a reserve member. In this case, I guess they will have to find two reserve members.

Post #16 Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 19
DGS: willemien
HermanHiddema wrote:
willemien wrote:

if it waa Ondrej Silt who had to set the time settings he (Ondrej Silt) would have less ground to complain. (There is no ground to complain if you made the mistake yourself)

Post #17 Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:30 pm 
Lives with ko

willemien wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:
willemien wrote:

if it waa Ondrej Silt who had to set the time settings he (Ondrej Silt) would have less ground to complain. (There is no ground to complain if you made the mistake yourself)

If you download the game you can see that the byoyomi time setting is 25 in 10

Post #18 Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:23 am 
Dies in gote

Long story short end. Ondrej Silt accepted his loss on time. I suppose the appeals committee decision will be made public somewhere ... The appeals committee decided that the game should be continued were it stopped with the correct byoyomi settings. Both team captains agreed on this but Ondrej didn't want to continue the game, he preferred to accept the loss on time.

Post #19 Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:25 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 259
betterlife wrote:
Long story short end. Ondrej Silt accepted his loss on time. I suppose the appeals committee decision will be made public somewhere ... The appeals committee decided that the game should be continued were it stopped with the correct byoyomi settings. Both team captains agreed on this but Ondrej didn't want to continue the game, he preferred to accept the loss on time.

I think he made the right decision. I mean, the rules clearly say that the game is a loss on time. At least that is how I see them :D