It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Do you play less Go since you started posting in a Go forum?
No, I play more. 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
No, nothing changed. 43%  43%  [ 20 ]
Yes, I play less. 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
No, I stopped playing years ago. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Richard Nixon 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 46
 Post subject: Do you play less since you started posting on l19/godisc ?
Post #1 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:43 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
I wondered about the Go activities of some posters... got the impression that a lot of people start talking about Go instead of playing it. Please prove me wrong :)

Post subject: Re: Do you play less since you started posting on l19/godisc
Post #2 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
This forum doesn't affect my overall play frequency.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:40 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
No, but l19 led to me joining the ASR League this month and that, weirdly, has led to my playing much less.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:48 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
I don't play less, despite my high post count. The thing with browsing/talking on a forum is that it can be done even when you don't know how much time you will have before something comes up, whereas playing a game requires finding an hour of time where nothing else will be happening and I have nothing more important to do. As well, talking on a forum is a whole lot easier than playing a game of Go, and is something I can do even if I'm not in the mood to play online Go.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
I guess you normally spend more time on L19 reading the posts than actually posting yourself. This reading is like reading a magazine or newspaper, you always have a little time for that, helps me relax. Gerenally this forum definitely makes me play more Go.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:51 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 35
I've played more, though that's correlative not causative.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:52 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
There is a lot more to Go than just playing it. To me, the most important metric is - are we still enjoying Go? Do we still want to deepen our own understanding? Or did we abandon the game, just another former hobby?

The first time I found Go in the 1990s, I was in isolation. I didn't connect with the local group of players. I didn't find a way to play online. I just had an obtuse book to learn from and a travel sized board. I quickly lost interest.

The second time around, GoDiscussions and Lifein19x19 (and also KGS and a small local club) have all worked together so that I've sustained interest this time. Specifically, the online forums helped me connect with the larger community of players. The forums also helped me find the sources of study material and sources of Go history and Go Culture.

This post by rubin427 was liked by: lorill

Post #8 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:02 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
I play less (but not because I post), which gives me time to post more.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:44 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I play less when I post more. I study less when I post more. I feel more worthless when I post more... I guess I'm half kidding.

Post #10 Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:01 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
I don't play more or less, since I am on a playing hiatus anyway. The forum gives me an opportunity to stay connected with go playing people.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
rubin427 wrote:
There is a lot more to Go than just playing it.

That's a very good point which I too often forget. Even though I rarely find time recently, whenever I do have some time to spend with go, I almost exclusively play.

It is like you are interested in poetry but the only thing you do therefor is trying to write poems (the result being horrible, of course :)). It may still be enjoyable but it is too shallow, it doesn't show to the game the respect it deserves.

These forums are nice places to exchange ideas, get some news etc. A useful addition to mere playing.

This post by entropi was liked by: ethanb

Post #12 Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:46 am 
Lives in sente

entropi wrote:
rubin427 wrote:

That's a very good point which I too often forget. Even though I rarely find time recently, whenever I do have some time to spend with go, I almost exclusively play.

It is like you are interested in poetry but the only thing you do therefor is trying to write poems (the result being horrible, of course :)). It may still be enjoyable but it is too shallow, it doesn't show to the game the respect it deserves.

These forums are nice places to exchange ideas, get some news etc. A useful addition to mere playing.

It is funny how some answer look like - no surely i don't play less but playing isn't very important anyway.

Post #13 Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:19 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 18
GD Posts: 188
I play the same amount. Some of the progress on here makes me want to play more rather than less though. A supportive community is nice to have.

karaklis wrote:
The forum gives me an opportunity to stay connected with go playing people.

I agree with this a lot as well.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:36 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
tapir wrote:
entropi wrote:
rubin427 wrote:

It is funny how some answer look like - no surely i don't play less but playing isn't very important anyway.

I don't know if you refer to my post but I assume so since you quoted it.

I don't think "playing isn't very important anyway" is a valid interpretation of what I wrote. Neither is it what I intended to say. Or maybe it depends on what you mean by "important". Playing is (or is not) important for what?

Post #15 Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:50 pm 
Lives in sente

entropi wrote:
I don't know if you refer to my post but I assume so since you quoted it.

I don't think "playing isn't very important anyway" is a valid interpretation of what I wrote. Neither is it what I intended to say. Or maybe it depends on what you mean by "important". Playing is (or is not) important for what?

To be honest I answered no change, but only for the reason that the amount of actual game play decreased with my activity on Sensei's Library already. And I feel people are uncomfortable to address this.

Post #16 Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
After some reflection, I think my previous answer just deflected the question. So I'll answer again. Yes, I play less frequently after having joined Godiscussions.com and later Lifein19x19.

Verbose:
Now that GD has gone down, it is actually very difficult to get accurate information as to when a person joined the site. Jan 6th, 2009 was the earliest record I could find of me being active on GD. so I use that date.

The following graph charts my rank and my level of effort being put into Go over time.

Now, I've been doing other go related things all the while, such as attending or running a local club (weekly), attending the US Go Congress in 2009 and 2010. But still, I think graph is at least personally interesting.

I've been complaining that I've been stuck at a the same rank for what feels like years. In all honesty, it now seems that this is also the same duration that I haven't been putting much effort into the game at all.

I doubt if either GD or L19 are the cause of my decreased efforts. But the timing sure is... suspicious.

Recently, I have been making an effort to play more game (with shorter time limits), and I am doing daily Tsumego. So far the benefit of that seems to be solidifying my rank at 6k. That's positive, but It's getting embarrassing to admit the number of players I used to play even that could now spot me four stones or more.

This post by rubin427 was liked by: Kirby

Post #17 Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:56 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 5
Posting/reading here at L19 has nothing to do with how much I do or don't play go. Another game played on 64 squares has a fair amount to do with it though. But it was probably in large measure thanks to that game that I knew pretty much on first sight that I would be playing go for the rest of my life.

Where've you been? Zatoichi could slice the board in half, put it back together again and rearrange the position so fast that no-one even knew he'd drawn his sword - and he was blind. ~ John Fairbairn