All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Views of the game
Post #1 Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:01 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
GD Posts: 316
KGS: andd
EDIT: So rereading the OP it really just sounded like a frame for an angsty vent. The question was really what I wanted to focus on. We all play individual games with the intent of winning, but is that why many of us study go? I find that I pursue go for the enjoyment of getting better at go. I see the crafting of strategy and the stones, more important than the actual end result of the game. does anyone else feel this way? Or am I just deluding myself :D

Last edited by Andd on Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Views of the game
Post #2 Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:49 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 41
KGS: Laman
it is about honour. you gain honour through understanding the game, which can be measured by playing good moves and quality of moves can be measured through winning the game. however, if you try to win by continuing in a clearly lost position and waiting for the opponent's blunder, then you lose your honour. and if you have no honour, you can only take your wakizashi and end it once and for good

Merry Christmas :)

I might be wrong, but probably not.

This post by Laman was liked by: Tofu

Post #3 Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:35 pm 
Dies with sente

Laman wrote:
it is about honour. you gain honour through understanding the game, which can be measured by playing good moves and quality of moves can be measured through winning the game. however, if you try to win by continuing in a clearly lost position and waiting for the opponent's blunder, then you lose your honour. and if you have no honour, you can only take your wakizashi and end it once and for good

Merry Christmas :)

Hmm but if it's about honor, shouldn't I spend more time fighting for my lord on the battle field rather than playing a board game... oh darn look at all the time I've wasted thinking about this, not fighting or playing go, so much honor out the window. Where'd I put that wakizashi... :D

Post #4 Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:24 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 3
KGS: Frango
Hi,

as a ASR admin, my view is that you should resign that game that you escaped. I understand that it can be frustrating when the opponent takes desperate measures, but now that you're over it, time to do the right thing.

Thank you

Post #5 Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Was it you I played against on KGS this morning? :oops: I had a game I was probably losing by 15-20 points but tried to play the sente moves in the endgame, and found one where, if my opponent played the sequence wrong, I'd save a small group of mine and capture a group of five or six of his stones, just about enough to turn the game around. My opponent missed the right move and when he realized he'd blundered he resigned.

I don't think I deserved to win.... :shock:

(That having been said, I really need to go through the game and post it to the game review section.)

Post #6 Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:18 pm 
Dies with sente

Frango wrote:
Hi,

as a ASR admin, my view is that you should resign that game that you escaped. I understand that it can be frustrating when the opponent takes desperate measures, but now that you're over it, time to do the right thing.

Thank you

I thought I did resign!? I'll do fix that now.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:24 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 3
KGS: Frango
thank you, and good luck for your next games

Post #8 Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:00 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
I just watched your game, and sorry if you find this offensive, but I think it simply shows your impatience.

You started to get angry and basically asked your opponent to resign several times. This is very rude. Then you told him you were reading this time, implying you already lost a game like this against him, so you really should have been more careful.

I know, it sucks to lose like this, but if you can learn to stay patient, it's not a useless loss. Better luck next game! ;-)

Post #9 Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:58 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 41
KGS: Laman
well, by complaining about opponent's moves, you also lose honour, at least unless you prove them useless :D.

this should be your lesson to stay always calm and collected, especially in situations where your opponent starts trying something "unorthodox". some of the losing moves you played pretty quickly when you were still under no pressure (over 9 mins left before byoyomi) - next time in similar situation play really carefully and show your opponent this is not a way to win against you

about Andd's edited question:
i feel it similar and enjoy winning through better understanding the game. i was pretty disappointed (and disilusioned) when i tried playing at wbaduk and find out that players there, having less knowledge than me, still beat me with enough agressive style and fast reading

I might be wrong, but probably not.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:36 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 192
KGS: Str1fe, Midorisuke
I'm kind of the opposite of laman- I know a fair amount of strategy, but I prefer to win games through reading and fights (can't stand peaceful games, as counting is a chore), and I don't like to lose against players who can't or don't read very far.

Post #11 Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:58 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 103
KGS: redundant/silchas
Tygem: redundant
Wbaduk: redundant
DGS: redundant
OGS: redundant
Shaddy wrote:
I'm kind of the opposite of laman- I know a fair amount of strategy, but I prefer to win games through reading and fights (can't stand peaceful games, as counting is a chore), and I don't like to lose against players who can't or don't read very far.

It's nice to see that you've finally come to terms with the fact that you like to start fights.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:25 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 192
KGS: Str1fe, Midorisuke
I didn't say I like to start fights, I said I like to win by fighting. If my opponent starts a fight, that's their problem :twisted: