It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L19 Ladder
Post #1 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:52 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Now that we have a new home, the ladder competition should also get a new name for the GD-Ladder: L19-Ladder (surprise!).

This thread is to collect and discuss some ideas how the ladder should work.

ross wrote:
I've definitely thought about it. If anyone else wants to collaborate, I have some great ideas on how it should work (i.e. integrating with the phpbb3 code), I just lack (a) time [right now] and (b) front-end GUI/HTML experience. But with a little effort we should be able to come up with something pretty seamless.

Please post your ideas here.

I'll start with some of my own:

- A link to the ladder is set on the forum front page, so that everybody can see it when entering the forum
- When logging in to the forum, this login should be valid for the ladder as well
- No explicit signup necessary. If you're not listed, you can automatically challenge one of the users (which one will be defined further down)
- Resign should be available on a single click (a confirmation popup seems reasonable though)
- A challenge should be available on a single click
- When a challenge is done, a personal message is sent to the challenged person.
- This challenge message contains a link that has to be clicked to accept the challenge within one week. If not, the challenger wins by forfeit.
- After accepting the challenge, both players have to make an appointment for a match which has to be held within one week.
- If there was no match, either player has to claim win by forfeit (I don't have an idea yet to find out which player has missed the appointment).
- If neither player claims a win after the week, the challenger is determined as winner
- If the game has taken place, any player can mark the challenge as finished. The system will check in the KGS archive and detect who was the winner.
- The winner will promote to the position above the loser (as already known from the GD ladder).
- Somewhere in one's user profile of the forum a KGS nickname should be maintainable. If it is empty, it is to be assumed that it is equal to the L19 nickname. These nicks are obligatory for playing the ladder. They can be changed anytime, except if there is an open challenge.
- A log of the ladder activities/results should be available to all L19 members (at least for - say - 6 months)
- If a ladder member has had no match for three consecutive months, he will be demoted one rank automatically. After that, he will be demoted every two weeks, unless he plays a ladder match (either challenging or accepting challenges). If the last ranked player is to be demoted, he will be dropped from the list.
- When you want to enter the ladder, the system will check for your KGS rank. Only stable ranks are accepted.
- You can challenge any user above you in the ladder 1) who is up to three ranks above you, 2) whose rank less than 20% above yours, 3) whose KGS rank is lower than yours. This is to get the ladder settled quicklier.

Post subject: Re: L19 Ladder
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:36 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I'm not quite clear on this. The games are to be played on KGS? If so, it might be better to put this thread in the KGS forum. Or maybe the generasl go chat. This forum is intended for games that are one move per post.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:41 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 24
Was liked: 36
GD Posts: 1315
Also, what about a DGS-based L19 ladder? GD had both, and although the DGS one was considerably less popular, I had fun playing those games.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:51 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Yeah, and both ladders are still active. I have a few concerns about servers, but I'll probably post something properly later!

PS The thread certainly needs moving :P

Post #5 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:56 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
It looks like one of my fellow admins copied this to the 'General Go Chat'. I guess that answers my question.

So now there are duplicate copies running in both forums. PLEASE USE THE ONE IN "GENERAL GO CHAT. In a few days, I'll delete the copy in the Malkovich forum.

EDIT 4 HOURS LATER: It looks like someone already deleted it. Problem solved.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:58 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
It looks like one of my fellow admins copied this to the 'General Go Chat'. I guess that answers my question.

So now there are duplicate copies running in both forums. PLEASE USE THE ONE IN "GENERAL GO CHAT. In a few days, I'll delete the copy in the Malkovich forum.

or just lock it

Post #7 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:52 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
So are sign-ups for this still open? Or should I wait pending the new implementation?

I guess part of this is a little moot, as I kind of want to get an established KGS ranking first... ;)

Post #8 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:58 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 18
GD Posts: 188
This can only lead to the ultimate combination of them all: Malkovich Ladder! FEARRR!

Post #9 Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:57 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 41
KGS: Laman
is the ladder active? i really enjoy all kinds of competing and this seems like something for me, too bad i found old GD ladder after community had moved here (i am a new member), so my challenge at GD wasnt answered.
so should i just use GD ladder system and write PM here on L19, or will be the system modified to L19, or is the ladder inactive at all now? i would really like to participate :)

I might be wrong, but probably not.

Post #10 Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:22 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Laman wrote:
is the ladder active? i really enjoy all kinds of competing and this seems like something for me, too bad i found old GD ladder after community had moved here (i am a new member), so my challenge at GD wasnt answered.
so should i just use GD ladder system and write PM here on L19, or will be the system modified to L19, or is the ladder inactive at all now? i would really like to participate :)

Yeah, register, and use L19 to message people - I will update the ladder and change it to l19.topazg.com at some point fairly soon, I just didn't want to do anything until all the chaos had died down :)