It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A poem on Go by Monk Jigong (濟公和尚)
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:42 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
At the Lingyin Temple in Hangzhou, there is a big scroll at the front entrance with a poem written by Jigong. The joy and excitement of playing Go is well expressed in this poem. While visiting there, I was asked by my Japanese friends if I could provide a translation, which I did. The original and the translation are shown below -- my New Year's present to you! I also welcome any corrections/improvements.

濟公和尚詩

無為堂上,敵手相逢。
移來一座水晶盤,傾下兩行碧玉子。
據三掣五,奪角爭先。
靜悄悄向竹塢松軒,冷靜靜對茅亭菊檻。
排成形勢,黑叢叢萬里干戈;擺定機關, 白皎皎一天星象。
休言國手,漫說神仙。
遍九州奪利于蠅頭,布三路圖名于蝸角。
縱橫在我,敲磕由他。個中訣破著精神,要使英雄滿天下。

咦!除非有個神仙路,衝破從來七九棺。

A poem by Jigong

Idling in the house, I am visited by a Weiqi opponent.
Move out a crystal board and pour two lines of jade stones.
Occuping the corners, extending to the center –- we fight for initiatives.
Silently, we sit by the bamboo deck and the pine loft; calmly, we gaze out the straw hut with the chrysanthemum sills.
Setting a strong layout, the black stones are ready for a fight; laying traps, the white stones make a stellar board position.
Don’t tell us about the national champions; the fairies do not impress us.
We have traveled the nine states, but are now fighting for a couple of points; we have plotted three careers, but now our fame hangs in the balance on a corner fight.
I move around freely; let him ponder my intentions. The secret is to apply the spirit that makes us the hero of all.

Eeh! Give me a God’s move to get out of this difficult position!
(Translated by Thomas Hsiang)

Jigong (1130-1209, South Song Dynasty), originally named Li Xiuyuan, was the most famous monk from Lingying Temple in Hangzhou. He wore the trademark of a torn hat, torn clothes, shoes with holes and a torn fan, giving the appearance of a mad man. Breaking away from the Buddhist tradition, Jigong liked meat and drank wines and spirits. But he was also a very knowledgeable man, having written the ten volumes of “Xi-feng quotations” and many poems. He provided free medical care to people and, as a martial-art master, fought against hoodlums to protect the village folk. He preached Zen Buddhism and became a folk hero to many. After his death, he was listed as the fiftieth Zen Buddhist Master.

Last edited by Hsiang on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

This post by Hsiang was liked by 5 people: apetresc, ethanb, ketchup, lorill, rubin427

Post subject: Re: A poem on Go by Monk Jigong (濟公和尚)
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:50 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 262
Thank you for sharing!