It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you think of sensei's library
Post #41 Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:04 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
jts wrote:
tapir wrote:
I don't see the point in even discouraging changes on typo, style or language (many contributors are not native speakers) problems. On pages I wrote I always prefer people changing whereever they believe it is necessary instead of adding overhead by asking "Your sentence is non-grammatical, may I change it.", please do change.

I brought it up because Bill had mentioned weaker players doing "grammar edits" on his pages that completely destroyed the meaning. Obviously if original editor would like a copy editor, that's fine with me. (As you know! :) )

Actually, I was not referring to grammar edits, which are almost always innocuous. I was talking about edits that destroyed or altered the context of certain material, thereby altering its meaning.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #42 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:32 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
I like SL. Often, I don't actually use it to look up specific information, but pick a random page and then "hop" from page to page, based on interesting sounding hyperlinks or linked sub/follow-up pages. Not surprisingly, I frequently do the same with Wikipedia. It's inevitable that I learn something new, even if it may be trivial, so it's a bit like an educational trip into the unknown wilderness of knowledge buried on the web. :)

(Hmm, now that I think about it, I did the same already as a child, just with encyclopedias and dictionaries.)

Post #43 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:06 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4634
If you want to see one of the things wrong with SL, look at the just posted "Bent Seven in the Corner is Dead". Having signed articles would help combat this type of moronic behaviour.

Post #44 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:27 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
I think that page is a (failed) attempt at humo[u]r. It's not linked from anywhere else on sensei's, so I don't think it's causing a great deal of harm... :)

Post #45 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:36 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
John Fairbairn wrote:
If you want to see one of the things wrong with SL, look at the just posted "Bent Seven in the Corner is Dead". Having signed articles would help combat this type of moronic behaviour.

I agree with your evaluation of that particular "article" but I don't blame SL for it. I doubt that having signed articles would make much difference even if "nicks" and "handles" were forbidden and only real names allowed. After all there are plenty of moronic postings on L19x19. That sort of thing is hard to avoid on the internet. As for "Bent Seven", waste of server storage though it is, it is flagged as humour and will most likely sink without much of a trace eventually. Actually, articles like that and the B-2 Bomber material are probably a reflection of people, likely rather young people, who don't really understand the game and are expressing their lack of self esteem and confidence.

Post #46 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:51 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
daal wrote:
... that a new structure for SL should include less discussions because discussions are better organized here. This makes a huge amount of sense. Discussions that clog SL could be fruitful if carried on here, particularly if the collaboration between SL and L19 were improved.

One idea would be to install a sub-forum specifically for SL and to link to it prominently on SL. ...

What do you think?

This sound like a great idea to me. A new forum is easy to make.

But what about the admins/owners at the SL end? Is it ok with them? After all, we are talking about coopting some of the functionality of their site. Also, it seems to imply that some of the results of discussions here would end up being achived there, thus using a lot more of their disk space.

ANY SL ADMINS/OWNERS READING THIS? IF SO, PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF.

Post #47 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:53 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
daal wrote:
... that a new structure for SL should include less discussions because discussions are better organized here. This makes a huge amount of sense. Discussions that clog SL could be fruitful if carried on here, particularly if the collaboration between SL and L19 were improved.

One idea would be to install a sub-forum specifically for SL and to link to it prominently on SL. ...

What do you think?

This sound like a great idea to me. A new forum is easy to make.

But what about the admins/owners at the SL end? Is it ok with them? After all, we are talking about coopting some of the functionality of their site. Also, it seems to imply that some of the results of discussions here would end up being achived there, thus using a lot more of their disk space.

I don't think this adds anything of value to SL.

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by 2 people: SpongeBob, tapir

Post #48 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:32 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 17
Was liked: 7
My biggest question is, why are so few SL contributors 4d+?

Why are the top players completely disinterested in submitting authoritative content?

It would be nice if some would answer with what they need as incentive. It can't be that they're holding out for the amazing book deals...

Post #49 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:08 am 
Gosei

Tsuyoku wrote:

Why are the top players completely disinterested in submitting authoritative content?

It would be nice if some would answer with what they need as incentive. It can't be that they're holding out for the amazing book deals...

I think many strong amateurs don't feel all that "authoritative" about a lot of things, for one point. For another point, answering specific questions based on opinions is relatively easy, writing good authoritative articles is much more difficult. For a third point, the basic ground has been covered fairly well on SL and no one wants to repeat things. Two things that I think are much needed on SL are (1) maintenance and repair of corrupted articles, and (2) organization and making things more easily accessible. The former is somewhat boring (but necessary), the latter, again, is difficult.

Post #50 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:22 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 176
GD Posts: 1072
Tsuyoku wrote:

Truthfully it's just not worth it. You're right, the book deals aren't there, and it's not a lot of fun sitting in front of a computer and typing for the length of time necessary to put together good stuff. If you want good stuff online, the best way is probably to get a lesson from a strong player, ask the questions you want and then post something authoritative online yourself.

Post #51 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:50 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Tsuyoku wrote:

I submitted authoritative content. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #52 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:16 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 17
Was liked: 7
Bill Spight wrote:

Why?

Post #53 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:47 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 19
DGS: willemien
Joaz Banbeck wrote:

I am one of the librarians ;-)

Last edited by willemien on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #54 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
HermanHiddema wrote:
I don't think this adds anything of value to SL.

As a user, I think I prefer to keep SL discussions/content on SL. After seeing what happened to GD, it would break SL if L19 went down and suddenly all the "interactive" discussion content would be lost. (Not saying I expect this, especially since L19 isn't just a one-man project, but it's a concern.)

An alternative approach might be to keep the discussions on SL more restricted to the /discussions sub pages rather than having them inside, or at the bottom, of the content pages.

Post #55 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:00 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Tsuyoku wrote:

Strong players get strong by playing and learning, not writing and teaching, that's why.

Since we all play Go for fun, it would stand to reason to assume that strong players, taking into account the above statement, have more fun playing and learning than writing and teaching. it sort-of sucks for the lower-rated players, but what can you do... If you want the strong players to contribute, you need to provide some kind of incentive, monetary or otherwise. We have had a discussion about this recently on L19, as I recall. The bottom line being that if you want somebody to do stuff they don't like doing, you need to pay them. Other than money, there is not that much weak(er) player have to offer... worship, maybe? ;)

You can see the same issue popping up all over the place - the issue of incentive and, ultimately, money. Pros play for money... they write for money... they teach for money... even if its not you who pays them. The whole discussion about European Championship - there is also a strong undercurrent related to money. The reasons for strong Asians visiting Europe... same thing, no matter how some wish to smudge it. And so on...

'Tis how the world turns.
We are all becoming americanized, I guess... ;)

The question is - given that these are the cards we have been dealt - what are we going to do?

Post #56 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:25 pm 
Gosei

Tsuyoku wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

Why?

I think Bill is a very generous man ;-) More important, perhaps, is why people stop contributing. There have been several major contributors who have either stopped contributing or have greatly reduced the amount they contribute, Charles Matthews, for example. Burnout and change in interest are two reasons.

Post #57 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:49 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
I wrote extensively on that matter on SL, indirectly causing this thread, everybody who cares is invited to join the discussion there. (You do not even need to create an account.) Just that: Even the worst discussion on SL inspires edits, improvements etc. to SL articles, but even the best discussions here rarely have any spillover to SL. I am e.g. not aware of any substantial contributions to SL resulting from about 10k (often insightful) posts in the Malkovich forum here. In the long run we will have to accustom to the fact there is more than one platform around, the earlier we foster a spirit of cooperation (as opposed to take-over) the better.

Post #58 Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:53 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
tapir wrote:
I wrote extensively on that matter on SL, indirectly causing this thread, everybody who cares is invited to join the discussion there. (You do not even need to create an account.) Just that: Even the worst discussion on SL inspires edits, improvements etc. to SL articles, but even the best discussions here rarely have any spillover to SL. I am e.g. not aware of any substantial contributions to SL resulting from about 10k (often insightful) posts in the Malkovich forum here. In the long run we will have to accustom to the fact there is more than one platform around, the earlier we foster a spirit of cooperation (as opposed to take-over) the better.

Perhaps librarians or other custodians of information can recognise where things being said on here may contribute to a particular SL article, and link to that article accordingly. In fact, whenever a topic is discussed, or a game review contains comments / advice particular to an article on SL, a link and a plea for contributions might help?

It won't resolve any article organisational issues, but it will keep people here thinking about the quality of information there

Post #59 Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
As a beginner I went to Sensei's frequently, but at some point, I switched over to learing from books. Also, when I looked up joseki after a game, I would use MoyoGo to see how professionals are playing the joseki. So I stopped going to Sensei's, almost forgot about it.

When I now look at it again, motivated by this very thread, I see how good the content actually is, regarding for example joseki. I would say it is the best free reference available for joseki, by far better than Kogo's. And it is also quite nicely done, the navigation is working perfectly for studying joseki.

On the other hand, here in the L19 forum, I hardly see any reference to SL content. I think we should all value 'our' Wiki more and reference it more often. For example the SL-tag here in the forum - it did not know that it exists ;-)

So my key message: We have a very great asset there - let's be proud of it and advertise it more often here on L19 - so that also beginners will visit it regularly and take advantage of it.

This post by SpongeBob was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, robinz, willemien

Post #60 Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
KGS: antispin
I used SL a lot as a beginner, and am still fond of it.

I use it to look up joseki, or life and death of common corner patterns.
Sometimes I just try to get my head round some of the the more advanced topics in there (e.g. tedomari, thousand year ko, eternal life, etc)

SL is messy in places, and feels a little out-of-date in terms of design, but I can't really complain, as I'm not spending my time on tidying it up either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next