Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
I let my KGS account expire, and I was trying to get it re-rated. (man it's hard to get a game when you have no rating!) So I played some fast/blitz games a couple days ago to speed the process along. I was tired and still on tilt from not doing as well as I wanted at a tournament on saturday, and managed to play my account down to 7k?.

Last night I played twice, completely demolishing some poor 6k and 5k (i.e. triple-digit margins if they hadn't resigned). Anyway, I feel bad now. It says I'm aga 1k in my user info, so it's not like I'm hiding it--but I wasn't advertising it, either, for fear no one would play me.

Actually the 5k could have won his game. The 6k I do feel bad for though. In real life I would pull punches but that's risky when the clock is ticking.

Hopefully another few wins will put me into the range where people have a legitimate chance against me... and hopefully I will crush them, too. :)

Post subject: Re: Sandbagging accidentally
Post #2 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:33 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
Eh, not sure what else you can do. Sandbaggers are a bigger problem at beginner levels because it can be humiliating for new players to be crushed by someone who they think is supposed to be about the same strength as them. And they haven't been playing long enough to recognize a stronger player or a sandbagger. It's the kind of humiliation that can make them not want to play. A 6 kyu has been playing long enough to know when they've been sandbagged and not get too discouraged by it. Anyhow, they should be experienced enough to know what the ? in your rank means and how hard it can be sometimes to get a good starting rank on a new account.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:45 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
daniel_the_smith wrote:
I let my KGS account expire, and I was trying to get it re-rated. (man it's hard to get a game when you have no rating!) So I played some fast/blitz games a couple days ago to speed the process along. I was tired and still on tilt from not doing as well as I wanted at a tournament on saturday, and managed to play my account down to 7k?.

Last night I played twice, completely demolishing some poor 6k and 5k (i.e. triple-digit margins if they hadn't resigned). Anyway, I feel bad now. It says I'm aga 1k in my user info, so it's not like I'm hiding it--but I wasn't advertising it, either, for fear no one would play me.

Actually the 5k could have won his game. The 6k I do feel bad for though. In real life I would pull punches but that's risky when the clock is ticking.

Hopefully another few wins will put me into the range where people have a legitimate chance against me... and hopefully I will crush them, too. :)

Um, seriously, you just put in your info when you post a game that your real rank is around whatever, and you accept games as if that is your rank. Is that hard to do?

Post #4 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:53 am 
Gosei

I never like it when other people try to give me more stones than the system says than should, so I don't do that. (That is, in general I trust what KGS says their rank is more than what they say their rank is.)

Post #5 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:07 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 156
Eh, this isn't any big sin. I'd just think of it as a few games you'll play until your rating reflects your ability more closely. You wouldn't be the first or the last person to be playing with an inaccurate rating on KGS. I'd say advertising your actual rank would be nice, but far from needed.

Bruce "Aesthetic Ethicist" Young

Post #6 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:12 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
daniel_the_smith wrote:
I never like it when other people try to give me more stones than the system says than should, so I don't do that. (That is, in general I trust what KGS says their rank is more than what they say their rank is.)

But you knew yours was off, and now you're paying the price, wracked with guilt. You'll have trouble sleeping, and you'll have dreams of walking go stones until you atone.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:16 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 353
KGS: freegame
play some bot's to get back to your "normal"rank.

bots don't care about sandbagging :D

Post #8 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:24 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
I don't consider this to be sandbagging. Malicious intent is the major factor behind sandbagging (imo), which is clearly not the case here - you just had to do what you had to do.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:30 am 
Gosei

kirkmc wrote:
But you knew yours was off, and now you're paying the price, wracked with guilt. You'll have trouble sleeping, and you'll have dreams of walking go stones until you atone.

Hahaha, I don't think I'm quite to "wracked," more like just past "twinged." :)

Post #10 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:15 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
daniel_the_smith wrote:

Once you see that you are ahead, stop punishing your opponent. Just play moves that progress the game to the end as quickly as possible, I mean simple solid moves w/o trying to complicate things. This will help you get better at winning a won game, increase your positional understanding and not embarrass the weaker player with a huge slaughter. You don't have to worry about pulling your punches if you give your opponent nothing weak to attack.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:54 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Don't feel bad about it. A lot of KGS users don't play weaker or ? mark players, so such games are inevitable... Now the key is to keep winning once you get past 1k. :-p

Post #12 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:58 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 1
Darn, if only I had come by to get thrashed. If it was me, I would even do a rematch. :D

Don't worry too much Daniel, people at this stage should be happy to face a strong opponent.

"Complexity is Magic: The Gathering, lots of tiny rules and special cases, and basically every single card is a unique case. Depth is Go: the game has 4 rules, and it takes literally decades to learn how to play that game well."

Post #13 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:58 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
I don't think you have too much to worry about. Anybody who's going to get upset is taking themselves way to seriously. And since you're not doing it on purpose, not much else you can do until you get your rank up. And people shouldn't really have to worry about their rank because you should be able to get yourself back up to the appropriate rank before too long. :)

Post #14 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 283
GD Posts: 484
I have sometimes made new accounts on KGS and, when I am getting my rating up towards my "normal" level, I have played similar games. I now apologise beforehand, and give some teaching afterwards. Don't lose sleep over it; it was not deliberate.

Best wishes.

Post #15 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:34 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 0
KGS: EugeneZ
Don't know what's the big deal with sandbagging. People sometimes so desperately looking for a game with stronger player (me including) and in this case you get it for free. Looks more like a blessing than a curse to me.

Post #16 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Gene wrote:
Don't know what's the big deal with sandbagging. People sometimes so desperately looking for a game with stronger player (me including) and in this case you get it for free. Looks more like a blessing than a curse to me.

that seems to be the consensus here in this thread... but you'd think the world was coming to an end in the KGS chatroom whenever someone encounters a sandbagger.

Post subject:
Post #17 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:12 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Seems like it depends how it's handled. If someone does it to be mean or trounce some easy wins, it'd be annoying. Bu if I knew going in, I bet I could treat it more as a friendly game and try to learn.

Post #18 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:40 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
Like the others, I can't really see the problem. The significance of your wins against these players will be marginal once you have gained several stones and return to your proper rank.