It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem wih the new interface of GoChild
Post #1 Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:39 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 26
KGS: Nagilum
Hi, perhaps the interface is not really new anymore, but the last time i visited the GoChild-website http://gochild2009.appspot.com/ i used an interface where i could select at first a problem pack. Than i there was a list with the problems. At the moment only the growing-mode works but the problem are now group in packs of five problems. And the app switches now automatically to the next problem. The last time i could do this with a simple click on the board. That was better
The "practice" section doesn't work on my computer.

There is a big "NO Internet Explorer" symbol on this site. So i am not sure, if the owner has build in some errors in order to convince me to install Firefox or Google Chrome.

I would like to know if other users who are using IE 9 have similar problems.

Post subject: Re: Problem wih the new interface of GoChild
Post #2 Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:10 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
Nagilum wrote:
There is a big "NO Internet Explorer" symbol on this site. So I am not sure if the owner has built in some errors in order to convince me to install Firefox or Google Chrome.

More realistic is the scenario that he has not put in workarounds for the IE non-standard-compliance.

This post by Harleqin was liked by 3 people: illluck, Redundant, topazg

Post #3 Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:25 am 
Dies in gote

Harleqin wrote:
Nagilum wrote:
There is a big "NO Internet Explorer" symbol on this site. So I am not sure if the owner has built in some errors in order to convince me to install Firefox or Google Chrome.

More realistic is the scenario that he has not put in workarounds for the IE non-standard-compliance.

I hope so. But:
I heard that the IE9 follows the standard. The browser has a compatibility mode that works like the old browsers following only the "microsoft standards". And GoChild only works in this mode, so with the microsoft standards. I have tried to deactivate this mode but than i only saw a blank site.

Yes, you are right. Assuming that someone builds in errors with intention is a little bit ridiculous. :) I think i was just frustrated that site doesn't work anymore in the usual way.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:34 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Nagilum wrote:
Harleqin wrote:
Nagilum wrote:

I hope so. But:
I heard that the IE9 follows the standard. The browser has a compatibility mode that works like the old browsers following only the "microsoft standards". And GoChild only works in this mode, so with the microsoft standards. I have tried to deactivate this mode but than i only saw a blank site.

Yes, you are right. Assuming that someone builds in errors with intention is a little bit ridiculous. :) I think i was just frustrated that site doesn't work anymore in the usual way.

IE9 is better than MS have managed so far, but it's still frankly very poor:

http://people.mozilla.com/~prouget/ie9/ie9_vs_fx4.html

The link is obviously somewhat partisan, but the numbers are also based on actual tests with cited sources, so it still has fair merit.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
Why wouldn't you use Firefox or Chrome? You're not playing go on a chess board, either.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:34 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
I use Opera and have never had a problem with gochild

Post #7 Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:58 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
karaklis wrote:
I use Opera and have never had a problem with gochild

I use Opera too, but I have had occasional glitches. For example with Opera, my GoChild interface is always automatically set to German when I sign in. :shock: Here's a line you've probably heard before: "it doesn't happen when I use Firefox."

Post #8 Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:03 am 
Dies in gote

Mivo wrote:
Why wouldn't you use Firefox or Chrome? You're not playing go on a chess board, either.

:lol:

Another question: Do you think that a linux-user would install a Windows system just for playing on wbaduk.com ? ;-)

I have not enough arguments for facing a technical-best-browser discussion, but it feels wrong that using a single website should force me to install redundant software.

I have installed firefox on a virtual machine. With this browser the interface was working. And no Anti-IE-picture. :-? But the website still always asks for installing quicktime. :shock:
All in all i am leaved with a strange impression of this site.

Never change a running system. GoChild worked in he past.
But i suppose that convincing users with a picture that they are running :evil: microsoft software can be even more satisfying. :sad:

Because gochild is a free contribution to the community i probably don't have the right to criticize, so i should just say: "Thank you for your contribution."
Ok: Thank you!
But to be honest: I'm sad to say, that in my opinion the quality of this contribution is not very good anymore.

Whatever! I am feeling that it is ridiculous and strange to be frustrated from this issue consindering the problems i am seeing in the news in the last days.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:34 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 57
Was liked: 19
Quote:
But i suppose that convincing users with a picture that they are running microsoft software can be even more satisfying.

Your posts makes it sound like a policy decision, where the maintainer of gochild has an active interest in users moving away from IE. The reality is however that working around the bugs in IE takes extra time which is difficult to justify when anyone can just install a browser that works. In fact, users like you not moving away from non-standard compliant programs are responsible for the problem not getting addressed, and microsoft continuing to put out one shitty product after another, causing trouble for webdevelopers everywhere. Also i doubt gochild is the only website with this problem and you don't need a virtual machine to run firefox.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:50 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
Quote:
Another question: Do you think that a linux-user would install a Windows system just for playing on wbaduk.com ? ;-)

Nope, we just use Wine.

But anyway, like averall and Harleqin said, I doubt he's displaying that Internet Explorer message simply for political reasons. The real issue is, Internet Explorer is far less standards-compliant than other browsers. You should blame Microsoft for its defective software (i.e. Internet Explorer), not web developers.

To draw the analogy you did earlier, I use Linux, and as a result, I accept that there are some applications I cannot run, and others which will be more of a hassle to run using Wine than if I were on Windows. That is one of the consequences of my decision to use Linux. One of the consequences of you choosing to use Internet Explorer rather than a more standards-supporting browser is that not all web developers will feel like spending the extra time making their website work for your browser.

Edit: Actually, I don't really like the analogy above. Web standards exist so that you may use any browser you wish and still get the same web experience (which is different than what is going on with operating systems). But when one browser is significantly behind the others in terms of compliance to such standards, that's when issues like this one arise. You should be able to view the entire web in any modern browser you like, but that requires the browser you like to work properly.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:15 am 
Dies in gote

Dusk Eagle wrote:

To draw the analogy you did earlier, I use Linux, and as a result, I accept that there are some applications I cannot run, and others which will be more of a hassle to run using Wine than if I were on Windows. That is one of the consequences of my decision to use Linux. One of the consequences of you choosing to use Internet Explorer rather than a more standards-supporting browser is that not all web developers will feel like spending the extra time making their website work for your browser.

Mmm. Nothing is perfect, isn't it? ;-)
Probably you are right, but sometimes it is just no fun to accept that fact.

Post #12 Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Dusk Eagle wrote:
The real issue is, Internet Explorer is far less standards-compliant than other browsers. You should blame Microsoft for its defective software (i.e. Internet Explorer), not web developers.

While I do agree with you here -- on the other hand, Microsoft does still have the market share, allowing them to set their own standards, thus compelling everyone else to eventually follow suit.

And Web developers will "fix" their sites, because it will benefit most of their users.

Post #13 Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Quote:

Nagilum wrote:
Another question: Do you think that a linux-user would install a Windows system just for playing on wbaduk.com ?

Dusk Eagle wrote:
Nope, we just use Wine.

By the way: on WBaduk through Wine, can you still see the Korean, Chinese or Japanese characters in the commented Live Games with Diagrams?
So far, all I can get is some binary nonsense, although I tried hard to solve the problem.