It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: yet another fundamentals discussion
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:33 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
After some deliberations I came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as fundamentals. It's the biggest lie in the go world used for artificially explaining why some people are stronger than others.

It is used in a similar fashion religions were initially used for explaining why some people were richer, stronger, smarter, etc. Rich people were saying "it's god's wish, I pray more, I believe in god more and you see the result". Then, no further questions... But that's not the truth. The bitter truth is that some people are simply stronger, smarter, quicker, etc. No need for other explanations.

The discussion about fundamentals reminds me of that, partially thanks(!) to Kageyama. Weak players (such as myself) think that they are weak because they did not grasp the fundamentals well enough. But that's not the truth. The bitter truth is that some people visualize better, learn the shapes and sequences quicker, can concentrate for a longer time, etc. That's all. Even the slow learners do learn, and that's why they improve, even if it's slow. Then they get a relief by thinking "oh thanks god I must have had a better understanding of fundamentals".

So, my conclusion is that strength has nothing to do with fundamentals, of which a clear definition does not exist anyway.

Unfortunately, I don't have a proof for that. But I think the burden of proof is on those who claim that there is such thing as fundamentals.

EDIT: This thought was initiated by my rereading Kageyama yesterday and watching some korean high dan players crazy fights.

This post by entropi was liked by: daal

Post subject: Re: yet another fundamentals discussion
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:00 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 793
Of course, abilities of visualization, memorization and reading play a great role for strength. IMO, knowledge plays another great role. Knowledge of whatever (tactics, strategy, concepts etc.). Knowledge is better for strength than missing knowledge. Knowledge can be about fundamentals or about more advanced things.

As an author of a book with Fundamentals in its title, of course I do "believe" in the existence of fundamentals.

You need to be convinced of their existence. Ok. You have just killed a group, you think, and so later you are going to play elsewhere all the time. This is not enough. a) You should have verified that what you think is right: that the group is indeed dead. b) You should update the verification after every new move "elsewhere" on the board. Reminding oneself to do both tasks at all belongs to the fundamentals. It is very easy to do such tasks (of reminding oneself to do something at all) - fundamentally easy. However, if nevertheless you neglect that, then suddenly the opponent will awake you when resurrecting the group.

A clear definition of fundamentals? An interesting request:)

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 36
Was liked: 63
KGS: Toge
What do you mean by fundamentals? Is this a critique of Kageyama's view on fundamentals?

Saying that there's no such thing as fundamentals sounds odd. Fundamentals are the foundation of play. For instance, reducing eyespace is the first thing one should do in order to kill a group. Group with access to center can escape and playing inside can turn out to be a terrible mistake. There are of course cases where further reducing eyespace won't work, so we have to turn into vital points.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:04 am 
Judan

Toge wrote:
reducing eyespace is the first thing one should do in order to kill a group. Group with access to center can escape

Repeating falsehoods does not make them correct. (Replace "the" by "one of the", "do" by "consider" and "can" by "usually can" and we come closer to the truth.)

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:24 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
I agree that the way we use the word "fundamentals" it is just a cover-story for a lot of things, we don't bother to explain or we can't explain, respectively point out.
The fundamentals in Go are all the things, which make Go Go.

The saying, one lacks the fundamentals is just a lazy way to say, here you didn't read well enough because of..., here this shape is inefficient because of..., here you had this possibility to..., here this Josekis doesn't work well with your stones/strategy because of... and so on. This applies to every level of strength, for a beginner it's just easier to point out in most cases.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:26 am 
Lives in gote

RobertJasiek wrote:

But a valid one isn't it? If someone tells me "study the fundamentals and you will be xy dan in no time", then I should have the right to ask "ok, what exactly should I study?"

Toge wrote:
What do you mean by fundamentals? Is this a critique of Kageyama's view on fundamentals?

Yes. What I mean by fundamentals is what Kageyama calls fundamentals.

Toge wrote:
Saying that there's no such thing as fundamentals sounds odd. Fundamentals are the foundation of play. For instance, reducing eyespace is the first thing one should do in order to kill a group. Group with access to center can escape and playing inside can turn out to be a terrible mistake. There are of course cases where further reducing eyespace won't work, so we have to turn into vital points.

I know it sounds odd. I must admit that I used the sentence in a provokative manner :) For example making two eyes to live, is a fundamental thing, of course. What I mean is that I don't know what exactly to study when someone suggests me to study the fundamentals. Thus, the suggestion becomes equivalent to "study everything, joseki, shape, life&death, haengma etc etc etc". With all due respect, such a suggestion is meaningless.

This post by entropi was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #7 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:47 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 44
GD Posts: 627
RobertJasiek wrote:
(Replace "the" by "one of the", "do" by "consider" and "can" by "usually can" and we come closer to the truth.)

That itself is pretty fundamental advice ;)

Don't just play the [shape|proverb|fundamental] move. Read! (But read the proverb move first).
(Perhaps not so surprisingly, Kageyama also repeatedly makes this point in his book.).

entropi wrote:
Yes. What I mean by fundamentals is what Kageyama calls fundamentals.

[...]

What I mean is that I don't know what exactly to study when someone tells me to study the fundamentals. Thus, the suggestions becomes equivalent to "study everything, joseki, shape, life&death, haengma etc etc etc". With all due respect, such a suggestion is meaningless.

I don't think that "fundamentals" means everything. On the contrary. When Kageyama talks about fundamentals, he means relatively simple things that are often neglected by strong amateurs in favor of studying more "advanced" things.

He definitely does not mean you should study haengma. He advises us to study simple things, like capturing stones in the best way. I agree that he does a bad job in explaining how exactly to do that. But I think that's beside the point. He often points out that "dan players" like to study [insert some advanced concept], while still not having a firm grasp on [insert some simple concept]. Basically, his book is a reminder that we should get a firm grasp on the simple things ("fundamentals") before turning to advanced concepts. And his book also contains a list of examples what he considers to be "fundamentals".

The only problem is that sometimes he just tells us "what" to study, but not "how" it actually works ;)
That's the reason why I think "Lessons in the fundamentals" is not so good for low-level players. I think it's actually targeted at a high level audience, that is, at least strong kyu, probably dan.

This post by flOvermind was liked by 2 people: Li Kao, Toge

Post #8 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:08 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
entropi wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't have a proof for that. But I think the burden of proof is on those who claim that there is such thing as fundamentals.

I'm in the camp that do believe in fundamentals and as one who has discussed (and tried to define) fundamentals in earlier threads, I'll take a shot --

Fundamentals are a set of principles and techniques that when applied in common positions are unlikely to greatly reduce a player's chance of winning.

I say this because it is not uncommon for a player to look back at the game and find a "losing move" where their position was dramatically worse (for some value of dramatically) after a given play. A fundamental move is one that, while not necessarily the most effective move, is unlikely to leave a large opening, or allow for a large gain by your opponent. In short, fundamentals might not win you a game, but they will prevent you from losing it. Many times it is not a race to win, but holding out long enough to not be the first to lose.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:26 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
entropi wrote:
If someone tells me "study the fundamentals and you will be xy dan in no time", then I should have the right to ask "ok, what exactly should I study?"

http://www.igoindonesia.org/tutorial-go ... -hard.html
Perhaps this article will be able to help you figure out exactly how to study to become xy dan if you are willing to spend enough time.

If you want someone to tell you "how to be xy dan in no time", it looks like it's just not possible without hard tedious effort.

This post by tchan001 was liked by: Loons

Post #10 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:44 am 
Judan

entropi wrote:
But a valid one isn't it?

Sure. I would take the challenge if I had enough time for it.

Quote:
If someone tells me "study the fundamentals and you will be xy dan in no time", then I should have the right to ask "ok, what exactly should I study?"

The, uh, fundamentals of every topic or skill. Study reading, strategic concepts, decision making etc. For each topic, study all the fundamentals you can find, that is the basic principles, basic methods and other basic bits.

Quote:
Thus, the suggestion becomes equivalent to "study everything, joseki, shape, life&death, haengma etc etc etc". With all due respect, such a suggestion is meaningless.

You got it, except that it is not meaningless. Do it! Don't complain about having to do it but do study the basics of all the topics. And since finding the fundamentals by oneself can be tedious, read books that have done the tough work for you and you only need to read and learn and learn to apply what you read.

You dislike Kageyama because he only tells you to do it. Read my books because they provide a great number of the basics (except the ability to read and solve problems). Read more books on fundamentals because they provide alternative views.

Post #11 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:51 am 
Lives in gote

Mef wrote:
entropi wrote:

I'm in the camp that do believe in fundamentals and as one who has discussed (and tried to define) fundamentals in earlier threads, I'll take a shot --

Fundamentals are a set of principles and techniques that when applied in common positions are unlikely to greatly reduce a player's chance of winning.

I say this because it is not uncommon for a player to look back at the game and find a "losing move" where their position was dramatically worse (for some value of dramatically) after a given play. A fundamental move is one that, while not necessarily the most effective move, is unlikely to leave a large opening, or allow for a large gain by your opponent. In short, fundamentals might not win you a game, but they will prevent you from losing it. Many times it is not a race to win, but holding out long enough to not be the first to lose.

What you define sounds like a "proper move" that leave as little aji as possible. But is it the same thing as "fundamentals"? It may be one interpretetation but others may very well interpret in a completely different way.

For example flOvermind interpreted it as something like "simple things", which is clearly different than your interpretation. Both interpretations may be valid.

Further interpretations may easily be found all of which may also be valid. But this is a proof (or let's say an indication) that there is indeed no clear definition of the concept of fundamentals. I said it in simpler words like "there is no such thing as fundamentals".

Post #12 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:58 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
If you want the simplest explanation of the fundamentals of go: efficiency

Post #13 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 36
Was liked: 63
KGS: Toge
RobertJasiek wrote:
Toge wrote:
reducing eyespace is the first thing one should do in order to kill a group. Group with access to center can escape

Repeating falsehoods does not make them correct. (Replace "the" by "one of the", "do" by "consider" and "can" by "usually can" and we come closer to the truth.)

- What appears to be repeating the alleged "falsehoods", some say, pertains to "truth" in some subjective sense of word, which may or may not at some part have relation to experience of an individual.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:04 am 
Judan

tchan001 wrote:
http://www.igoindonesia.org/tutorial-go/115-article/846-to-become-a-master-of-go-is-not-easy-but-became-an-amateur-5d-or-6d-its-not-hard.html

When he describes how his joseki tour was wasted time, then it's because he learnt them by heart. The right way is to study joseki for the sake of understanding fundamentals and meanings.

Quote:
If you want someone to tell you "how to be xy dan in no time", it looks like it's just not possible without hard tedious effort.

There is an exception: 1 dan. The amount of work to reach 1d is small enough for such a saying. But "no time" is, of course, misleading.

Post #15 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:08 am 
Judan

entropi wrote:
For example flOvermind interpreted it as something like "simple things", which is clearly different than your interpretation. Both interpretations may be valid.

Further interpretations may easily be found all of which may also be valid. But this is a proof (or let's say an indication) that there is indeed no clear definition of the concept of fundamentals. I said it in simpler words like "there is no such thing as fundamentals".

flOvermind's description is very good. Maybe you can adapt to the idea of "relatively simple". If you try to advance to difficult levels, then the simpler levels are more or less presumed.

Post #16 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:10 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
entropi wrote:
What you define sounds like a "proper move" that leave as little aji as possible. But is it the same thing as "fundamentals"? It may be one interpretetation but others may very well interpret in a completely different way.

I would say that fundamentals are proper moves, I would say "leaving as little aji as possible" is not at all in my definition and perhaps something that you yourself have added in interpretation (=

Perhaps I need to clarify the principle my definition is starting from -- First of all, I would say it is impossible to make a move that will (by itself) increase your chance of winning. This is because the position prior to your move contains all options available as the position after your move, as well as additional options. This means that if you play a perfectly optimal move, you will maintain your winning chance. When your opponent makes an error, your winning chances improve.

Fundamentals are not necessarily optimal moves (in fact, I would reckon they are rarely optimal moves), however they are moves that will likely suffer only minimal loss. They are moves that will not be blunders. This is not incompatible with "simple things", in fact I would say it is in exactly the same vein -- moves that sacrifice the benefit of an in depth search for optimization, accepting that they are likely sufficiently close given the time, energy and ability available.

If your claim is that different people interpret the exact definition of fundamentals differently, therefore fundamentals do not exist... we can try to play the definition game, however we may end up losing thickness, tesuji, sabaki, etc to this battle, and certainly will find no Scotsman ever playing go (=

Post #17 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:14 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
entropi wrote:
After some deliberations I came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as fundamentals. It's the biggest lie in the go world used for artificially explaining why some people are stronger than others.

It is used in a similar fashion religions were initially used for explaining why some people were richer, stronger, smarter, etc. Rich people were saying "it's god's wish, I pray more, I believe in god more and you see the result". Then, no further questions... But that's not the truth. The bitter truth is that some people are simply stronger, smarter, quicker, etc. No need for other explanations.

The discussion about fundamentals reminds me of that, partially thanks(!) to Kageyama. Weak players (such as myself) think that they are weak because they did not grasp the fundamentals well enough. But that's not the truth. The bitter truth is that some people visualize better, learn the shapes and sequences quicker, can concentrate for a longer time, etc. That's all. Even the slow learners do learn, and that's why they improve, even if it's slow. Then they get a relief by thinking "oh thanks god I must have had a better understanding of fundamentals".

So, my conclusion is that strength has nothing to do with fundamentals, of which a clear definition does not exist anyway.

EDIT: This thought was initiated by my rereading Kageyama yesterday and watching some korean high dan players crazy fights.

It appears to me that your rationale for not believing in fundamentals is that some people are more talented than others, and simply learn faster.

However, I don't feel that this is inconsistent with the idea of "fundamentals".

When I read Kageyama's discussion on fundamentals, I had a different idea in mind. I didn't think of it so much as, given a body of players, the skill lies in those that know fundamentals.

Instead, I thought of it more like this: Given a particular individual, if he studies the fundamentals, he will advance. This is not the same thing as saying that those that have studied the "fundamentals" are automatically better than those that have not studied the fundamentals.

That being said, I think that the real question comes down to: If I am to study go, will my progress be more efficient if I study "fundamental" topics, or if I study "non-fundamental" topics. If I rephrase this to match my interpretation, I would say that the question is, "Will my progress be more efficient if I study basic topics, or if I study more advanced topics".

I think that it's natural to think that advanced understanding of a topic is easier if one has a solid grasp on the concepts that lead up to that advanced understanding.

So I'm inclined to agree that studying the fundamentals/basics of a particular topic allows one to get a more solid foundation of understanding. The more solid foundation of understanding that you have of the basic topics, the easier it is to understand topics that are more advanced.

In other words, it is natural to understand advanced topics in go if you already have learned the prerequisites well. However, it is difficult to understand advanced topics if you have not learned those prerequisites.

I see Kageyama's advice as simply saying that one ought to learn the prerequisites of go knowledge before moving on to subjects that they don't know well about.

Do you disagree with that?

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: snorri, Toge

Post #18 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:39 am 
Lives in gote

Kirby wrote:
entropi wrote:

It appears to me that your rationale for not believing in fundamentals is that some people are more talented than others, and simply learn faster.

However, I don't feel that this is inconsistent with the idea of "fundamentals".

When I read Kageyama's discussion on fundamentals, I had a different idea in mind. I didn't think of it so much as, given a body of players, the skill lies in those that know fundamentals.

Instead, I thought of it more like this: Given a particular individual, if he studies the fundamentals, he will advance. This is not the same thing as saying that those that have studied the "fundamentals" are automatically better than those that have not studied the fundamentals.

That being said, I think that the real question comes down to: If I am to study go, will my progress be more efficient if I study "fundamental" topics, or if I study "non-fundamental" topics. If I rephrase this to match my interpretation, I would say that the question is, "Will my progress be more efficient if I study basic topics, or if I study more advanced topics".

I think that it's natural to think that advanced understanding of a topic is easier if one has a solid grasp on the concepts that lead up to that advanced understanding.

So I'm inclined to agree that studying the fundamentals/basics of a particular topic allows one to get a more solid foundation of understanding. The more solid foundation of understanding that you have of the basic topics, the easier it is to understand topics that are more advanced.

In other words, it is natural to understand advanced topics in go if you already have learned the prerequisites well. However, it is difficult to understand advanced topics if you have not learned those prerequisites.

I see Kageyama's advice as simply saying that one ought to learn the prerequisites of go knowledge before moving on to subjects that they don't know well about.

Do you disagree with that?

No, such an obvious thing is hard to disagree with :) But then the question is what does the advice "study fundamentals" tell me apart from repeating the trivial.

If I study math, of course before learning multiplication, I must learn addition and I must understand it as deep as possible. But would my book have the reputation of math's bible for saying that?

Post #19 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:44 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1104
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I propose a statistical definition of 'fundamentals'.

Let us assume that there are millions of separate ideas that one can learn about go. And that some of those ideas are used more often than others. A common one might be: 'If it has no liberties, it is dead.' ( We use that a lot in games, though we probably do not think about it. ) A very uncommon one might be: 'If you have this ladder from the east, and this fight brewing to the north, and a long geta to the south, you play exactly here, and your opponent's ears will turn red'. ( That, of course, has been used once in the history of go. )

Once we have them ordered from common to rare, we pick a point on that list and say that everything before that point is so common that they are fundamental.

When Kageyama says that one should study the fundamentals, he is not making some mystical statement about the nature of go. Rather, he is saying that one should have a well-ordered list, and that one should start at the proper end.

Post #20 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:45 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
entropi wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:

But a valid one isn't it? If someone tells me "study the fundamentals and you will be xy dan in no time", then I should have the right to ask "ok, what exactly should I study?"

"Graded Go Problems for Beginners"

Sakata's "Killer of Go" series. "Killer of Go" and "Tesuji and Anti-suji" have been translated into English.

Takagawa's "Go Reader" series. Not translated.

Maeda's Tsumego series, vol. 1 and vol. 2.

Ishida's joseki books in English.

BTW, whoever told you that is lying. I do believe that almost anyone can become amateur shodan in 2 - 5 years with a good teacher and the desire to learn. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: snorri