It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: go9dan usage questions
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:19 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Has anyone been able to use this new server successfully yet?

With the upcoming Lee Sedol vs Andy Liu match, I wanted to be able to watch those games.

I ran into a few issues and tried to send an email to info@go9dan.com, but the email bounced immediately.

I couldn't figure out how to observe a game. Maybe because there aren't any games yet to observe. I saw a few games "in progress" but by players who don't seem to be "online". There were no stones on the board.

I also saw a few people online that I know personally. I tried to chat with some, but it didn't seem to be working either. I guess there's no general chat feature? Only in-game chatting and personal chatting? And the personal chatting seems to interfere with watching/playing a game (which I haven't been able to do yet)

I tried adding them to my friend's list, but nothing happened -- although later when I looked at my account, I see I've been charged multiple times for adding 2 or 3 friends which were never added. (cost 5 gold to add a friend)

Post subject: Re: go9dan usage questions
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:40 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
I tried to use it too. Automatch didn't function. I was not sure about creating a room/tournament - is that a game?
In short, good luck to anyone who is setting up a pro match there. Nice choice on no undo! :o
Seriously though, has anyone seen the user manual?

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
I think, to start a game you right click a name and choose 'Invite'

But not so many people are on. Tomorrow is supposed to be grand opening, so maybe a new version will be uploaded?

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:56 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Apparently Andy won on time, I wonder what the board was like and if Lee has problems with the server, it doesn't exactly seem robust.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:25 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 63
GD Posts: 150
KGS: aokun
Uberdude wrote:
Apparently Andy won on time, I wonder what the board was like and if Lee has problems with the server, it doesn't exactly seem robust.

Not a win ... time ran out due to lag and all agreed to play another game tomorrow.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:10 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 68
KGS: Unusedname
Hmmm that sounds bad for the server ]:
I really like what go9dan is doing with these events and publicity.
I hope they are able to fix whatever the problem was.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:43 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 91
Was liked: 254
aokun wrote:
Not a win ... time ran out due to lag and all agreed to play another game tomorrow.
This sounds pretty sad. Their server does not look ready for action. It does not make sense to me that lag was an issue unless the organizers dropped the ball. Are they going to be ready for the promotional go league? A lot of people, including myself, are quite excited about that. If the event goes south because they were not ready to hold it on their server...well that's going to leave a lot of people disappointed.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:31 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
it seems that when the go9dan server has issues, we come here to "chat" -- because g9d has no real chatting capabilities (except in game)

and if you switch from the game to the lobby, you lose the chat history. annoying, but not the end of the world.

and once the game is over (for whatever reason), you can no longer join to chat. so don't refresh your browser if you think you've timed out.

you could start a "test" game with really long time limits, and people can join that one to chat with each other.

I found I could open the game(s) and lobby each in multiple browser windows/tabs (which is not the same as logging in multiple times from different browsers or OS).

Apparently I can't login from work, because my browser at home is still "logged in", even though that machine is not even online (or on). Either that or they are still having other major server issues. (or I'm being blocked by work -- which is quite possible)

When I am logged in, I can't tell how long my session is good for. Does the session ever expire? I think it does, because I have to refresh the whole page sometimes to get new information (and wipe out current information). But there's no status indicator to tell if I'm still connected or not. I've come back hours later to see chat popups or game invite popups in the lobby.