Soon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Within Hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A week 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Who knows 31%  31%  [ 19 ]
Never 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
I am just fed up/Don't Care anymore 51%  51%  [ 31 ]
other:_______(please specify in Post) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 61
 Post subject: When Will GoDicussions Come Back up?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 121
Universal go server handle: Jordus
Here is a poll to pass the time....

Post subject: Re: When Will GoDicussions Come Back up?
Post #2 Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:34 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I just don't know anymore you know? :(

Post #3 Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:32 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I say a week. It can't be down forever right?

Post #4 Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Isn't the most reasonable answer: who cares? It's time once again to start looking for another site and this time stick to it. Don doesn't have the time to manage the site and he won't let anyone else have real admin control. The writing was on the wall last month and now it's a permanent placard. I've had enough. What more do we need to convince ourselves?

Post #5 Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
As Kirby suggested on the GD Sensei page, this forum would be a perfect alternative. Is it configured to be able to post sgf files, malkovich games, etc? I think Ross had developed a way for posting games on the phpBB format. I say let's do it! :idea: Ok, it's already done but I'm willing to help in any way I can. ;) Thanks Jordus!

Post #6 Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 121
Universal go server handle: Jordus
Déjà Vu wrote:
As Kirby suggested on the GD Sensei page, this forum would be a perfect alternative. Is it configured to be able to post sgf files, malkovich games, etc? I think Ross had developed a way for posting games on the phpBB format. I say let's do it! :idea: Ok, it's already done but I'm willing to help in any way I can. ;) Thanks Jordus!

Sgf posting works. i may need to tweak the size of the goban depending on user input(only takes seconds).

Diagrams do not work yet. keep updated on the issue here http://lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47

Post #7 Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:19 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 1
well, thanks to everyone getting angry at GD, I doubt that its gonna come back up again.
This being said, there are lots of useful conversations on GD, so I really hope that it'll come back up. (so that we can save it on sensei's and provide more stuff for it)
That probably will not happen because it will take a huge amount of effort.

"Complexity is Magic: The Gathering, lots of tiny rules and special cases, and basically every single card is a unique case. Depth is Go: the game has 4 rules, and it takes literally decades to learn how to play that game well."

Post #8 Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:34 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
When will it come up? Or, perhaps a better question is: when will it go down again? Or yet a better question: does Don really care about it?

After the last problem was fixed a few months ago, I offed to help, even be a mod if he needed it. Lots of other people offered to help too. I thought that the failure might be an isolated incident.

I wanted to give Don the benefit of the doubt on this latest failure. It started on a weekend, and I was hoping that a message would appear on Monday that someone was now back at work on Monday morning and doing something to fix it. But here it is Tuesday, and no message.

I've been publicly advocating getting the facts before making decisions. Now it looks like Kirby's comment that "We have the facts: the site is not functioning and nobody here knows why," may be the most accurate decsciption of the situation.

I'm disgusted.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
I am surprised that Don doesn't share root passwords. If a moderator could have gotten in and repaired the database this incident would have been just an hour or so of irritation then it's over. Heck, three people know the KGS root password, and I'm processing money so there is much more risk than there is with a forum. But oh well, it's Don's site so he can run it how he wants I suppose.

Post #10 Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 353
KGS: freegame
I voted "who knows"
seemed like the best choice since nobody seems to know what is going on with GD at the moment.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:03 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
I voted "I'm fed up" but then I have been for many months.

This site is really showing what a community effort can do. Within a day or so the diagrams are working and feature capabilities have caught up with GD. I expect that most of the other features people have wanted will get incorporated in one way or another. When things break, and they always do, we have people who are interested in the community at the wheel, instead of a lumbering dead elephant that hadn't fallen down yet. As much as I hated to lose what we had w/ GD, the potential here will be well worth the pain of the loss.

I am not looking back any more....

Post #12 Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
mdobbins wrote:
I voted "I'm fed up" but then I have been for many months.

This site is really showing what a community effort can do. Within a day or so the diagrams are working and feature capabilities have caught up with GD. I expect that most of the other features people have wanted will get incorporated in one way or another. When things break, and they always do, we have people who are interested in the community at the wheel, instead of a lumbering dead elephant that hadn't fallen down yet. As much as I hated to lose what we had w/ GD, the potential here will be well worth the pain of the loss.

I am not looking back any more....

I agree.

I'm also glad to see the solid flow of consistent members moving over here. The only way this is really going to work is if we get good, solid, adoption across the board from old (and even new) members. This will make more of a difference when GD comes back online.

Post #13 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:44 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 446
I chose other. I not a programmer so I dont know how to fix or what the problems consist of. I dont know when it'll be back up but Im not quite fed up yet...

I do agree 100% with the idea of giving the admins some passwords.
I dont anyone wants to take over the site. :?

But hey, life has got to have some downs with its ups.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:50 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
At this point, it's more-or-less closing the barn door after the cow has already gone to market. :D I think most of us wouldn't go back. The go features of this forum already outstrip those on godiscussions.com (and they'll continue to improve!)

I feel a little bad that Don has been badmouthed, and that he's pretty much lost a community that he created. I know what it's like to not have time for some personal project, which then proceeds to fall into disrepair. But if the community is going to continue to exist, there wasn't much choice but to move on.

Post #15 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:56 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
It'll come back up as soon as Encarta does.

Post #16 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:16 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
fwiffo wrote:
I feel a little bad that Don has been badmouthed, and that he's pretty much lost a community that he created.

And he did an awesome job in helping shape this community in the first place.

Post #17 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:47 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
xed_over wrote:
fwiffo wrote:
I feel a little bad that Don has been badmouthed, and that he's pretty much lost a community that he created.

And he did an awesome job in helping shape this community in the first place.

Yes he did. But this is common in many start up ventures. Once it outgrows the founder, they often can't let it go to grow beyond their capabilities to lead.

Post #18 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 30
To me, "Who knows" and "I am just fed up/Don't Care anymore" connotes more or less the same thing. And this is where most of the votes went to.

Post #19 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:32 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
I think it's very sad that Don has been badmouthed, as I certainly don't think he deserved that with the time and effort he put in.

However, at the same time, he obviously doesn't have the capacity (time or energy) to steer the framework for the community any more, and I don't feel bad that we have all decided to move on. GoDiscussions.com was his baby, and he managed to make an excellent Go community when there just wasn't one. Now he can move on himself without having the stress of looking after a community he's no longer involved in, and we can have the community we've been wanting recently. Sounds like a win-win for me, and for my part I'm thankful for him for what he did - I'm not feeling guilty about the move though, it feels like a natural progression now.

Post #20 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:09 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
topazg wrote:
I think it's very sad that Don has been badmouthed, as I certainly don't think he deserved that with the time and effort he put in.

However, at the same time, he obviously doesn't have the capacity (time or energy) to steer the framework for the community any more, and I don't feel bad that we have all decided to move on. GoDiscussions.com was his baby, and he managed to make an excellent Go community when there just wasn't one. Now he can move on himself without having the stress of looking after a community he's no longer involved in, and we can have the community we've been wanting recently. Sounds like a win-win for me, and for my part I'm thankful for him for what he did - I'm not feeling guilty about the move though, it feels like a natural progression now.

This.

I completely agree.

For better or worse, we still need to thank Don for getting this community to the point it's at. If everybody hadn't been brought together and all become close, the sort of outpouring we're seeing on this forum (all the time and effort from a lot of different people!) wouldn't be here.