It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mainstream Go Sightings
Post #381 Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:45 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
Tygem: crecy
Two characters are playing Go in the main avengers Marvel comic (All-New, All-Different Avengers Vol 1 #13).

This post by crecy was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Inkwolf

Post #382 Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:32 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8259
Was liked: 923
Universal go server handle: trohde
Two screenshots of a scene in the French movie “The Hedgehog” (Le Hérisson), currently running on German TV.

Attachment:
IMG_0492.PNG
IMG_0492.PNG [ 638.22 KiB | Viewed 16389 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0499.PNG
IMG_0499.PNG [ 571.93 KiB | Viewed 16389 times ]

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_H%C3%A9risson_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hedgehog
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Eleganz_der_Madame_Michel

This post by Bonobo was liked by 2 people: fireproof, Inkwolf

Post subject:
Post #383 Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:12 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
AlphaGo mentioned at 06:00 ~ 06:30:

Feb 28, 2017 ( not sure which thread to put this :) )

This post by EdLee was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, fireproof, Inkwolf

Post #384 Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:42 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1102
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
On 'Billions', a Showtime series, the Brian Connerty character has a meeting of the local go club in his office after hours. He explains to his boss, Chuck Rhoades ( a thoroughly twisted character brilliantly played by Paul Giamatti ) that it was his turn to host but his apartment is too small.
Rhoades then offers unsolicited advice for Connerty's next play. ( "...block that monkey jump..." ) The camera hangs on the game long enough that we can see that it is indeed a reasonable game - not just some random placement of stones - and Rhoades' advice is probably correct.
For the serious go player, a few second's inspection of the board reveals that it is the only move, and that Rhoades is telling Connerty something that he already knows.

Upon reflection, there are several things that lead me to think that the producers are tossing in a gratuitous go game just to advance public knowledge of go.
1) The games does nothing to advance the plot. It does do some very, very minor character development - but the viewer already knows that Rhoades is an arrogant dick. That fact has been shown repeatedly in previous scenes. For the viewer who does not play go, the scene is a meaningless distraction.
2) Connerty claims that he doesn't have room in his apartment. But his office is crowded also. He is the #2 attorney in the U.S. Attorney's office for the Southern District of New York, which suggests a low 6-figure salary. He can afford an apartment with some room - even at New York prices.

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, moyoaji

Post #385 Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:31 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 295
Was liked: 64
IGS: 4k
Universal go server handle: BlindGroup
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Upon reflection, there are several things that lead me to think that the producers are tossing in a gratuitous go game just to advance public knowledge of go.

I think one of the writers must play. Last season, the US Attorney referred to one of his strategic moves in the case as a "kakari". That allusion worked more effectively because (a.) the metaphor plausibly fit the situation and (b.) it make the US Attorney seem smart when the person on the other end of the conversation acknowledged that he had used the "esoteric" term correctly.

I guess it is possible that a little go research might have allowed someone with no knowledge of the game to write this. But it seems like a lot of trouble for something that had such limited use -- presumably they could have found another way to make him seem smart by mining another esoteric hobby that one of the writers was actually into.

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Connerty claims that he doesn't have room in his apartment. But his office is crowded also. He is the #2 attorney in the U.S. Attorney's office for the Southern District of New York, which suggests a low 6-figure salary. He can afford an apartment with some room - even at New York prices.

The depends on where he lives. Here is the pay scale for AUSA's: https://www.justice.gov/usao/career-cen ... lan-charts. Top salary if I've got the right chart is 160k plus 30% for locality adjustment. That won't go very far house-wise if you want to live below 125th street in Manhattan. Don't get me wrong -- you can do it. I know plenty of people who make and live in very cramped apartments in "hot" neighborhoods.

Post #386 Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:24 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 235
Was liked: 77
Universal go server handle: fireproof
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
( a thoroughly twisted character brilliantly played by Paul Giamatti )

According to the British Go Association https://www.britgo.org/general/celeb/ Paul Giamatti plays go. Perhaps he has some influence over the scripts?

Post #387 Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:19 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 143
Was liked: 218
Universal go server handle: moyoaji
The YouTube channel Second Thought released a video today about AI, mentioning AlphaGo at the beginning and then talking about it more in depth later on. They don't go into any real detail about how to play go, but AlphaGo and Deep Mind are featured in the video from 4:27 to 5:56. https://youtu.be/M_8nAmvqC4Q?t=4m27s

-Kageyama Toshiro on proper moves

This post by moyoaji was liked by: Bonobo

Post #388 Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:25 pm 
Oza

moyoaji wrote:
The YouTube channel Second Thought released a video today about AI [..]

<sigh> What happened to reading? I just wish people would also provide transcripts to such videos …

I am 1) hard of hearing, 2) can read much faster than people can talk, and 3) English is not my native language … this way I alway get the impression that for it is more important for some people to hear themselves blabbering than to convey their assumedly important message :-?

<edit>
grammar correction
</edit>

Last edited by Bonobo on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #389 Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:11 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Bonobo wrote:
I just wish people would also provide transcripts to such videos …

I am 1) hard of hearing, 2) can read much faster than people can talk, and 3) English is not my native language … this way I alway get the impression that for it is more important for some people to hear themselves blabbering than to convey their assumedly important message :-?
Here is the relevant part transcribed from the video:
Quote:
..Then there are groups like DeepMind, now owned by Google, who developed AlphaGo, the AI that defeated Lee Sedol, the best Go player in the world. The revolutionary thing about this particular AI is that the ancient Chinese game we call Go is much, much more complicated than something like chess. Deep Blue, the IBM computer that defeated chess master Garry Kasparov in 1997, was groundbreaking at the time because until that point, no computer had ever bested a human at chess.

However, Deep Blue isn't really all that impressive. Due to the limited number of possible moves in chess, it was able to brute force its way through the calculations to pick the best moves. Go, on the other hand, has a staggering number of possible moves, as many as there are atoms in the entire universe. Because of this huge number of possibilities, AlphaGo had to take a different approach. In contrast to Deep Blue or Watson, AlphaGo is classified as a general artificial intelligence, meaning it's not restricted to performing a specific set of tasks.

Simply put, if you provide a general purpose AI with a task its never encountered before and allow it to run overnight for example, when you check on it the next morning it will have mastered the task. Of course, the time requirement varies with the complexity of the task, but in the case of AlphaGo, DeepMind did exactly that with the game Space Invaders. No experience with the game, then the best in the world the following morning. These general purpose AI learn from their mistakes in successes and build new and improved versions of themselves.

Self-improving AI like AlphaGo are the harbingers of stronger AI to come. And with the rate at which they've improved even in the last few years, many industry leaders expect to see exponential growth within the next decade. The potential next step for AI is what many people are afraid of, including high-profile scientists and innovators like Stephen Hawking, Bill Gates, and Elon Musk. The looming possibility that holds such appeal in science fiction is the potential development of what's called Advanced General Intelligence, or AGI. The distinguishing factor with AGI is that it's not only able to perform routine calculations and learn by trial-and-error, but also exhibit the use of biological cognitive functions such as planning, using common sense, and making complicated decisions under uncertainty.

Like any other artificial intelligence, an AGI would begin as software on a computer. As robotic technology improved, we would begin to see tests like the ones in the 2014 film Ex-Machina. This is where the all-too-common fear of a robot uprising comes from. In fact, Elon Musk is an investor in Google DeepMind, just to keep an eye on things. While there are a few high-profile people advocating caution, others such as Kurzweil maintain that there's really nothing to fear. He predicts that while yes, we will reach a point at which machines will outpace humans in intelligence, what we should expect to see first is a sort of synthesis of man and machine.

He is not necessarily talking about cyborgs, but rather advancements in medicine and nanotechnology that will dramatically extend and improve human life. Kurzweil isn't alone in thinking this way. Elon Musk is currently working closely with a non-profit called OpenAI, which has the goal of merging humanity with machines. Musk suspects that such measures will protect humanity from becoming irrelevant in the face of super-intelligent computers. It sounds like science fiction, but we've already made great strides in using technology to augment people suffering from Parkinson's disease.

The next step according to Kurzweil is to connect the human brain directly to the cloud, removing the smart device as a middle man to the aggregate of human knowledge. Such a plan may seem far-fetched, but Kurzweil is quick to point out that predictions thirty years ago were thought to be ridiculous. But now that they've happened, it seems unthinkable that there was ever a time without cell phones, search engines, and the World Wide Web, all of which he predicted.

The current goal is to create AI-driven nano-bots that could be implanted in the human brain and would function just like a wireless car for your neocortex, the region of the brain associated with intelligence, the higher motions, and creativity. In Ray Kurzweil's words, "We are going to add additional layers of abstraction and create more profound means of expression, so we are going to be more musical, we are going to be funnier, we are going to be sexier, and be better at expressing more loving sentiments."

So, before we can expect a robot uprising, we can hopefully look forward to disease-fighting nano-bots and a direct link to all human knowledge right from our own brains. Not exactly cyborgs, more like Humanity 2.0. While there will no doubt be strong opposition to putting any kind of technology in our heads, many people eagerly await the day they can upgrade and be on the cutting edge of this unparalleled new era of technology. Once we've reached THAT point, then we can start worrying about the potential legal, ethical, and societal ramifications of humanoid robots.

But that's a topic for another video.

This post by Solomon was liked by 7 people: Bonobo, daal, dfan, joellercoaster, Monadology, moyoaji, Waylon

Post #390 Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:07 am 
Oza

Thanks a lot, Solomon!

Post #391 Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:42 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 414
Was liked: 461
"Tonari No Seki-kun (My Neighbor Seki) The Master of Killing Time" is an anime made up of five-minute short episodes. Yokoi is a girl who sits at the back of the class, next to a boy named Seki, who spends his time doing anything but studying...he builds elaborate domino arrays, enacts period dramas with shogi pieces, plays miniature golf on his desktop, etc. Episode 4 is called "Go"

You can see it on Crunchyroll here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/tonari-no-se ... iod-648669
Attachment:
vlcsnap-2017-04-19-20h13m51s190.png
vlcsnap-2017-04-19-20h13m51s190.png [ 457.01 KiB | Viewed 15786 times ]

But since I know there are many people here from places where Cruhchyroll isn't licensed, I have prepared a transcription of the episode below. :D Sadly, I only seem able to attach three pictures...

Attachment:
vlcsnap-2017-04-19-20h12m55s753.png
vlcsnap-2017-04-19-20h12m55s753.png [ 477.09 KiB | Viewed 15786 times ]

Yokoi: I don't know how he can play in a serious setting like this. Go...something else that makes a lot of noise. Well, at least I don't know the rules, and I definitely don't know how the pieces battle each other, so maybe it won't bother me. I think I'll actually be able to listen in class today! Thank goodness!

(Seki keeps playing pieces dramatically. Yokai can't resist peeking.)

Attachment:
vlcsnap-2017-04-19-20h14m26s237.png
vlcsnap-2017-04-19-20h14m26s237.png [ 566.17 KiB | Viewed 15786 times ]

Yokoi: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

(Seki moves the pieces to make the bear punch the rabbit, then makes several other fight scenes.)

Yokoi: Oh! But they're fighting! The black stones and the white stones are fighting each other! Leave it to Seki-kun to find a weird way to play Go. Or...is this how you actually play?

(Yokoi imagines a professional Go match--)

Announcer: Player number one....2-8, Bear. Bear clothesline! Player number two...3-6. Bunny executes the Rabbit Chop! Cross Arm-breaker! Player number one...1-5, Bear. Bear German Suplex!

Timekeeper: Ten seconds.

Yokoi. Impossible. That can't be right! No adult can make those with a straight face! Yeah, there's no way. Not something like a bunny strangling a bear.

Teacher: This is going to be on the test.

Yokoi. Wha-? What's that? Now this and--

(Yokoi starts desperately writing notes, only to realize that she's actually drawn the bunny and bear fighting.)

Yokoi: Crap, I ended up copying the fight, too! Geez, this is all Seki-kun's fault! (Glares at him, only to notice that the Go stones are now randomly scattered.)

Yokoi: Man, everything's so messed up, I don't even know what's going on anymore...

(Seki dramatically starts placing Go stones again. Soon Yokoi sees a single back and white creature that looks part bear, part bunny.)

Yokoi: Whoa, they've been combined! A new character has been created! Looks like the battle has been decided. So, back to taking notes...

(Seki plays more Go stones, in even more dramatic scenes.)

Yokoi: He's starting something again. I can't help but be curious...WHAAAAAT?

(Seki has added a second creature identical to the first, except it has its white and black parts reversed, and it is attacking the first creature.)

Yokoi: A new enemy! And it's the opposite color! Is that his shadow self or something? Those are usually pretty tough...

(First creature hits the new creature.)

Yokoi: Yes! He went on the counter-attack! You can do it! Don't lose to your shadow!

(First creature kicks second creature)

Yokoi: Yes, you've got this!

(A flash of light between the creatures, made with white Go stones)

Yokoi: Whoa, is that a beam weapon? No fair, that's totally unfair! (Seki moves Go stones around) A flying punch? That's WAY unfair! So the Shadow's a bad guy after all! What? The Shadow can't win!

Teacher: Hey, Yokoi! Stop daydreaming, young lady. This is going to be on the exam!

Yokoi: I, uh, wasn't, uh, sir. It's not my fault! Seki-kun was, uh--he, uh...was, uh... (She points to Seki, but the Go stones are gone and he is innocently sitting and reading his textbook.)

Yokoi: Uh....uh... (stands up holding notebook, showing everyone the drawing of the bear and rabbit) All right! Here's the PROOF of his misdeeds! RIGHT HERE!

Silence....

Teacher: What's that supposed to be?

Yokoi: Uh.....aaaagh....now it looks like I was the one messing around. I'm sorry, sensei.

This post by Inkwolf was liked by: Bonobo

Post #392 Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:47 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 235
Was liked: 77
Universal go server handle: fireproof
Adventure Time - Five Short Tables (Season 7, Episode 35) shows Prince Gumball (the gender-swapped Princess Bubblegum) playing a Go-like game with Butterscotch Butler. The board and pieces look right, for a cartoon, but the rules seem a little different -- and in fact, the pieces, when stacked, apparently become sentient and can leave the game.

The short match ends with a nuclear tesuji, as it appears the butler is a stronger player.

Attachment:
File comment: Prince Gumball plays Go
1280x720-MnS.jpg
1280x720-MnS.jpg [ 122.61 KiB | Viewed 15594 times ]

This post by fireproof was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #393 Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:30 am 
Honinbo

Armani has some interesting ideas to sell fashion:
New York:
Go/Shogi signage (4:47 - 4:51) :

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo

Post #394 Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:18 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 238
Was liked: 60
A friend of mine sent me these 2 pictures she took from the 57th International Art Exhibition - la Biennale - in Venice, yesterday.
Attachment:
IMG-20171020-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20171020-WA0010.jpg [ 149.02 KiB | Viewed 14878 times ]

Attachment:
IMG-20171020-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20171020-WA0011.jpg [ 124.26 KiB | Viewed 14878 times ]
I always perceived Go as a form of art :D
Galation

Post #395 Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:37 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Isn't that a 5 in a row game? :shock:

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #396 Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:27 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 238
Was liked: 60
Bill Spight wrote:
Isn't that a 5 in a row game? :shock:
it is entirely possible that it is a Gomoku game! :D
It doesn't looks like a Go game for sure.
I tried to understand if the two lonely stones on the corner area are maybe ladder breakers in a strange TsumeGo, but they are not.
Galation

Post subject:
Post #397 Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:22 pm 
Honinbo

AlphaGo, north Hollywood :)
Attachment:
AG.jpg
AG.jpg [ 496.35 KiB | Viewed 14664 times ]
This particular audience had exactly 3 people:
our party of 2, plus a person visiting from New York:
while her daughter is working in Hollywood,
she enjoys various indie movies: trying to learn something new and interesting.
( In this case, Go and AI. :) )

Laemmle theater: /'læm-lɪ/

This post by EdLee was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Galation

Post #398 Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:36 am 
Oza

Last night, while working, I watched, from the corner of my eye, an international news show on German TV (“Weltspiegel” — “World Mirror”), and one of the topics was the situation in Spain re: Cataluña, a Spanish professor of psychology was being interviewed when this suddenly caught my eye …
Attachment:
IMG_0505.PNG
IMG_0505.PNG [ 712.12 KiB | Viewed 14429 times ]

I was, like, “WUT? This is a political reportage, what’s this to do with it?”

Attachment:
IMG_0506.PNG
IMG_0506.PNG [ 729.25 KiB | Viewed 14429 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0507.PNG
IMG_0507.PNG [ 844.88 KiB | Viewed 14429 times ]

I find it interesting how, after AlphaGo has helped move Our Game more into mainstream news, people find it “sexy” to adorn their products with “Go” images; no idea, though, whether the book ever actually mentions the game, and the board looks like the person who laid it out doesn’t understand Our Game. Well, maybe somebody wanted to show how little a chance of staying alive the black stones have? But a bad example board then because how should such a constellation appear in any normal game?
Oh well, at least I can’t see any illegal positions here :roll:

Post #399 Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:38 am 
Oza

Later I googled for author name and book title and found the complete cover:
Attachment:
Adolf Tobeña - La Pasión Secesionista.jpg
Adolf Tobeña - La Pasión Secesionista.jpg [ 200.34 KiB | Viewed 14428 times ]

Post #400 Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:42 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Well, maybe not exactly mainstream, and maybe not exactly go, but dig this headline:

Quote:
The Cyberlaw Podcast: Did AlphaGo Launch an Arms Race With China?

from https://www.lawfareblog.com/cyberlaw-po ... race-china

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 27  Next