All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trip to Shanghai
Post #1 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:30 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 2
GD Posts: 89
Hi all,

I'm going to Shanghai for 3 weeks in July on a government-funded trip called 'Study China'. I'm thinking of extending the trip a bit to study go. Any suggestions? I'm interested in: go clubs/salons/schools in Shanghai, go summer camps anywhere in China which I might be able to join for a couple of weeks, and any other options you think of.

Thanks,

Will

Post subject: Re: Trip to Shanghai
Post #2 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:12 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
Hey Will!
Sounds amazing hope you'll have a great time in china.

Regarding go-locations in shanghai:

There was a thread in the german go forum ( http://www.dgob.de/yabbse/index.php?topic=2081.0 ) if you're not able to read german I try to translate the important parts for you.

Marco, who visited Shanghai in 2006 recommend the "Xiang-Yang" park, another user the "Fuxing"-park, but according to marco most of the players are now playing at the Xiang-Yang ~ anyways, both parks are located only a few hundred meters away from each other.

Also there should be a Go-Club in Duolun Lu (south of Lu-Xun-park between Sichuan Beilu and Boashan Lu) but according to marco the place is VERY uncomfortable and full of cigarette-smoke.

Gunnar (another shanghai visitor) recommended "Heping Gongyuan (和平公园, Heping Park)" daily 7am - 5pm

Remember that the chinese goranks are roughly 1 stone below egf-ranks (@higher dan level this seem to revolves)

Hope you're making some nice pictures and have a superb trip ^_^

Post #3 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:30 am 
Beginner

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the reply! I should know enough German to be able to make sense of that thread.

Will

Post #4 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:01 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 70
Was liked: 29
GD Posts: 48
KGS: Darrell
Will wrote:
I'm going to Shanghai for 3 weeks in July ... Any suggestions?

Get a suitcase full of cheap problem books at City of Books, ground floor, along right-hand side wall.

There is some places listed for Shanghai in Weiqi Places in China on Sensei's Library. On my trips I could not figure out the vague directions to find any of these.

I did visit an after-school go school and got clobbered by several 8-year old 3-dans. The KGS user Ecoli teaches there and can give you directions. She told me that they welcome English visitors so that the kids can practice their English. She speaks very good English herself.

Post #5 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:12 pm 
Beginner

Thanks Darrell. I'll get in touch with Ecoli.

Post #6 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:05 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
you could ask JeffChang or MilanMilan (on KGS) about their program
they do classes 2-3 month during the summer in china and they're flexible about arriving/leaving students.

Post #7 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:42 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 14
I know a good place in Wuhan. If you have to be in Shanghai throughout your stay then it might not be practical, but if you have time to go to Wuhan, then there is a go school there that is foreigner friendly. If you are interested you should contact Guo Juan. Here is her website: http://internetgoschool.com/, you can find more info about the school under 'study go in china'

Post #8 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:24 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
nami wrote:
they do classes 2-3 month during the summer in china and they're flexible about arriving/leaving students.

I believe Su Yang nowadays uses "Finnish8d" more than "JeffChang" on KGS. You can find his email on his account information of both accounts.

Post #9 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:45 pm 
Beginner

Thanks nami, Dante31 and tj86430. I can't really extend my trip for more than a week at either end, which may mean I don't have long enough to visit a go school. The Wuhan school doesn't have any places left this summer and I've inquired about Experience Go in China.

Post #10 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:27 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 38
nami wrote:

They are in Beijing though, a bit away from Shanghai

/Mats

Post #11 Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:49 am 
Beginner

I'm in Shanghai now, and have just been to the class of school kids which Li Tianzhu (echoli) teaches. It was a fantastic experience, and I'd recommend it to anyone else going to Shanghai. The kids were all about 2-4 dan, but I think that's considerably weaker than European 2-4 dan. I'm 6 kyu on the BGA rating list, but Li Tianzhu said she thought I was Chinese 1-2 dan from watching me play. I lost all 3 games that I played, although I was very close to beating the 3 dan. I hope to be able to go back next week, though the trip that I'm on has a lot organised so I'm not sure if there'll be time.

Post #12 Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:11 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
Will wrote:
I'm in Shanghai now, and have just been to the class of school kids which Li Tianzhu (echoli) teaches. It was a fantastic experience, and I'd recommend it to anyone else going to Shanghai. The kids were all about 2-4 dan, but I think that's considerably weaker than European 2-4 dan. I'm 6 kyu on the BGA rating list, but Li Tianzhu said she thought I was Chinese 1-2 dan from watching me play. I lost all 3 games that I played, although I was very close to beating the 3 dan. I hope to be able to go back next week, though the trip that I'm on has a lot organised so I'm not sure if there'll be time.

Sounds you have a good experience there.
Thanks for the update, where is the school? Do they have a web page?

Post #13 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:23 am 
Beginner

You can see more details of my visit, and other go-related experiences (I played against two old men in a park yesterday), at my blog: http://shanghaiwill.wordpress.com for the homepage or http://shanghaiwill.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/li-tianzhu/ for the specific post about this visit.

I got off the tube at Zhenping Road station, and the school is quite close to there. I can ask Li Tianzhu for the address if you like. I'm not aware of a webpage, but there may be one.

Post #14 Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:10 am 
Beginner

kokomi wrote:
Do they have a web page?

Turns out they do have one (Chinese only): http://www.qisedu.com/pxdw/index.asp?p_id=434