It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

In the situation below, do you take the stones?
Yes, of course. Winning is about taking advantage of mistakes, after all. 48%  48%  [ 34 ]
Yes, but only if a casual game. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but only if it's a serious game. 34%  34%  [ 24 ]
No, I'd always have mercy. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Depends on my mood. 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Other (Please explain) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 71
 Post subject: Re: Capture the stones, or have mercy?
Post #21 Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:24 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 42
KGS: Nikolas73
DGS: Nikolas73
I never ask for an undo (unless it is a misclick, but even then I will sometimes decide the misclicked move is more interesting and I go with that). This thread reminds me of a recent game I played on KGS...

Both sides made a lot of mistakes, but at the end Black (me) was able to play A11 (which White's previous move should have been at, I think) and save a huge group which should have died. White immediately requested an undo. I hesitated for about 30 seconds before deciding the game was unimportant, and I wanted to keep on playing a little since it was my last game for that night. I was about to grant the undo request when my opponent resigned.

Usually I will only "have mercy" if I have a clear lead and the capture will not affect the result of the game; it is more fun that way.

Post #22 Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:31 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 18
GD Posts: 188
In a tournament game, I do not believe undos CAN be given. In any case, I do not think I would give it. I just don't think it's the spirit of this game to be treating a tournament casually as this should be your best/top game.

Usually if an undo is requested in a normal KGS game, I grant it for misclick that seems relatively obvious. Usually, if it is a misclick, the undo request is very quick. I do not enjoy giving undos for obvious reading errors though, as I don't expect it to be given to me if I requested it(I wouldn't anyways).

In person/ in a club environment, I honestly don't see that many asking for an "undo". In all honesty, I've never seen someone asking to take back a move in person. Most people just resign and then start a new game :).

Post #23 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:55 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
ketchup wrote:
In a tournament game, I do not believe undos CAN be given. In any case, I do not think I would give it. I just don't think it's the spirit of this game to be treating a tournament casually as this should be your best/top game.

The rules don't cover it, and you're not supposed to, since it may favor an opponent, but I've seen people give undos in tournament games. Don't forget that usually only the result of the match gets reported to the TDs

Post #24 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:24 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 185
KGS: SolarBear
Unless it was a slow, casual game with a close friend on a saturday afternoon with a nice, cold beer, I'd take the stones and I would expect my opponents to do the same. I don't learn much from having my mistakes pointed out to me, but I do learn from having them shown to me in a quick and merciless way.

Post #25 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:07 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 16
GD Posts: 498
KGS: Invader, gilgil
Online playing schedule: Teaching, tournaments, and CGL (UofT)
In the past, I always took mercy. Now, I've realized that taking the stones probably makes more sense. We all make mistakes in the game, and we all make blunders now and then. Mistakes and blunders are no different! WHy? Mistakes are a part of our skill, and blunders are also a part of our skilL. Let me rephrase - They are a part of our strength as a Go player. Anything that affects the result of the game is part of playing strength. That means good eyes, or good health, mental stamina, concentration and others are all part of skill. Go is not all on the board. If your opponent played a Monkey jump reduction, then realized he loses Sente and should play Kosumi or Keima instead, do you let him take back? How about if he plays a 1-point Gote when there is still a 3 point Gote left? Id this so different from putting himself in Atari? YOu can argue that one is a natural art of his skill, and the other was an accident, but the reason he blundered must have been because og low mental stamina, or low concentration on the game. Even if it was because his vision is not so good, it is a part of his skill, and he or she must learn that the hard way. I did, many others did. I simply learned to accept it when I realized I'm not the only one who makes these mistakes. With that in mind, I was easily able to start embracing it as a part of my strength, or rather, my weakness.

It really depends on the circumstances. If it is a rating or tournament game, the above applies, but if it's a friendly free game, especially an in-person one, I will let them undo most of the time.
Despite my strong belief in what was first posted by Magicwand, I find myself too much of a softy to deny such an undo even in a tournament >< I contradict myself quite powerfully.

Post #26 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:04 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 2
GD Posts: 27
If it's a good friend, yes. I only play very casual games against friends anyway. If it's a teaching game, then yes. Capturing the stones doesn't cement any lessons, any more than pointing out the group would.

99% of cases, I take the stones.

Post #27 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:33 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 32
Was liked: 10
GD Posts: 60
On a related note, this is another reason why beginners should consider playing on smaller boards. When you make a dumb mistake and suddenly lose the game, it's a lot easier to just clear away the stones and have another go.

I do think it is a weakness of the game of go (OMG am I saying something negative about go? Cover your children's ears!) that a momentary blunder can suddenly erase everything you've been building up. Fortunately, once you reach a certain level (say, SDK), this is essentially no longer a factor.

Post #28 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:30 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
MountainGo wrote:
...a momentary blunder can suddenly erase everything you've been building up. Fortunately, once you reach a certain level (say, SDK), this is essentially no longer a factor.

I don't think I agree with this. I think that momentary blunders that mess up everything you've been building up exist at dan levels, too. :)

Post #29 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
Magicwand wrote:
i take the stone.
if he feels bad and not play me anymore i dont play him anymore.
when i make mistake i never take back even it means i lose the game.
i think it should be same for all go player.

agree.

in teaching game, i'll offer an undo.

Post #30 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Araban wrote:
If it were a club game or free online game, I'd probably show mercy.
If it's a ranked online game or a tournament game then definitely not.

oh, yes, i think i agree this one. when i saw the question, i thought about kgs only...

Post #31 Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:41 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 9
Kirby wrote:
MountainGo wrote:
...a momentary blunder can suddenly erase everything you've been building up. Fortunately, once you reach a certain level (say, SDK), this is essentially no longer a factor.

I don't think I agree with this. I think that momentary blunders that mess up everything you've been building up exist at dan levels, too. :)

Pros are not immune to it either. This Chinese article (http://sports.sina.com.cn/go/2010-05-24 ... 9844.shtml) listed a few past incidents during dame filling period.

Post #32 Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:54 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 8
GD Posts: 163
KGS: GoCat
topazg wrote:
Yes, if it is the biggest move, irregardless of it being about winning.

Agreed, regardless of the grammatical error. ;-)

Two points: 1) the result of a game is the end product of our good plays and bad, so a bad move by my opponent is simply part of the game, and if I'm clever enough (not often) to take advantage of it, that's part of the game, too; and 2) I play for fun so being captured doesn't bother me, and I hope the same is true for my opponents.

Post #33 Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:03 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
GoCat wrote:
Agreed, regardless of the grammatical error. ;-)

Hehe, but it's such a fun and interesting "error". I defend my right to use a non-word that possibly combines "irrespective" and "regardless" to accentuate the lack of regard for the final result in a given Go game :lol:

Post #34 Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:22 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 8
GD Posts: 163
KGS: GoCat
topazg wrote:
Hehe, but it's such a fun and interesting "error".

Okay... I give up; if it has its own entry in Wikipedia, I throw in the towel on this one. I hereby will never complain about this word, again.

(But if I'm ever forced to do the same for "a whole nother", I will simply stop using verbal language and instead speak only with my Go stones.)

...or something like that.

:)

Post #35 Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:43 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
GoCat wrote:
topazg wrote:
Hehe, but it's such a fun and interesting "error".

Okay... I give up; if it has its own entry in Wikipedia, I throw in the towel on this one. I hereby will never complain about this word, again.

(But if I'm ever forced to do the same for "a whole nother", I will simply stop using verbal language and instead speak only with my Go stones.)

...or something like that.

:)

I will continue to complain, but knowing that the author using the word does it fully aware that it is a non-word does ease the sting.