It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Procrastination Makes Me Stronger?
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:48 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 49
I'm experiencing a weird phenomenon for which I have no explanation.

I'm very busy at work right now, but I don't really feel like working. So instead of working when I know I should, I sometimes log on to one of my KGS accounts and play a few quick games.

Here is the thing. I feel guilty when I play games on KGS (because I know I have work to do), and I worry about getting my work done. However, notwithstanding my poor mental state, I tend to have a much higher winning percentage when I play in these circumstances. In fact, my best runs of wins seem to happen when I know I shouldn't be playing. :-?

Anyone else experience this? Anyone have an explanation? I would think on general principles that peace of mind and an easy conscience would be the ideal state in which to play go, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me.

Post subject: Re: Procrastination Makes Me Stronger?
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:42 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 0
KGS: Nakamura
Sometimes, I think it's just the passion for Go coming through. The reason we play. And there's the fact that when you know you shouldn't be doing something, it makes it sweeter.

Maybe it makes you more aware? Who knows, but I have experienced something like this before. Not necessarily a better winning percentage, but more intensity and drive when I play.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:29 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
It could be that work is simply the time of day when your concentration is better. I know if I tried to play in the morning, for instance, I would play like crap.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:38 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
fwiffo wrote:
It could be that work is simply the time of day when your concentration is better. I know if I tried to play in the morning, for instance, I would play like crap.

I think this hits it on the head. People are more awake or more alert at different times. My bet is that the middle of the day is when you are processing things the best. Your memory is probably the best then as well.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:49 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 18
GD Posts: 188
I think overall, you can probably say your work improves when you play go as well. All I can think is that "balance" is needed. Work vs Play in this matter

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:17 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 9
Or it may be just that you think less about winning or losing in such circumstances, as you are preoccupied with the guilt.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:46 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
It could be related to the time of day when you are playing and the current set of times around the world. I know the Japanese opponents I tend to get in the middle of the day are quite different from the North American players I get more when I play in the morning and evening.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:43 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 49
Thanks, some interesting ideas here.

It's probably not related to the time I play because - except on the weekends - I almost always play in the evening. I can't actually play at work because access to KGS is blocked. :sad: Usually, I am bringing work home with me and then procrastinating.

I think it must be a psychological reason. Nakamura, Helel, and hiyayan have all given me some food for thought. I wonder if there is a way to test these kind of theories?

I want to be able to recreate this state, whatever it is, when I am not procrastinating. I'm not usually this busy at work, and working so hard seems to be a heavy price to pay for an extra stone or two in strength. I want to figure a way to be both lazy at work and play at my top strength. :)