It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions on scoring/ending of a 9x9 game vs my son
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:24 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Universal go server handle: GoHavoc13
I played a game on a 9x9 board with one of my sons and have several questions as we came to the end (or what we think was the end of the game). I was white with my son playing black with a 5 stone handicap placed on the traditional star points.

On a 9x9 game, both players would have 42 stones each. If black places 5 handicap stones down, he would have 37 stones left to play and as white, I would have 42 stones in my possession.

Question 1: Does the game end (ready to score) after he runs out of his 37 remaining black stones and I as white lay down a final stone, even though I have 4 more in my bowl unused?

On the board, there are some of my white stones that he would clearly capture had he not run out of stones to play.

Question 2: When you run out of stones, do you still count would be dead stones, or because you run out of stones, and fail to capture them, are they alive? (I know that when both players agree to end the game sooner, for sure those stones are dead and are counted for scoring, because had more stones been played from the position both players passed, assuming they had enough, it could be demonstrated. But, is it still true when you run out of stones?)

Question 3: On a 9x9 game, is it typical on a handicap game to give white 0.5 komi? I know you can agree to various komi values prior to a game, but thought a standard 9x9 game with handicap is 0.5 komi to white.

Questions aside, I think with the final position we ended up, territory and captured stones, my son won 25 to 24.5. :tmbup: The margin of victory is much larger if the stones in question 2 are dead for sure.... 43 to 22.5 I think. :D

Thanks in advance for responses...

Post subject: Re: Questions on scoring/ending of a 9x9 game vs my son
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:34 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Within the rules of the game, you can't run out of stones. If you really do run out of physical stones, hopefully you can exchange an equal number of prisoners (this doesn't affect your score difference) and keep going.

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:49 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi GoHavoc13,

As dfan explained, think of having an unlimited supply of :black: and :white: stones. In practice, of course each set has only a finite supply. Customarily, we can "recycle" the prisoners (re: post 2); and in the rare cases where even that isn't enough, we borrow from our friends at the next table. :)
Quote:
On a 9x9 game, both players would have 42 stones each. ...

Questions 1 & 2...
No; see above.

A "typical" full set usually has at least 181 :black: and 180 :white: stones ( to exactly fit the 361 on a 19x19 board ). If you frequently run out of stones on a 9x9, you may consider to get a full set.
Quote:
On a 9x9 game, is it typical on a handicap game to give white 0.5 komi?
Yes. ( Also true for 19x19 "normal" stone-handicap games. )

Post subject: Re: Questions on scoring/ending of a 9x9 game vs my son
Post #4 Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:23 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Universal go server handle: GoHavoc13
Ok, good to know. In that case, I got crushed by my son... :)

Post subject:
Post #5 Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:32 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Quote:
I got crushed by my son... :)
Also not uncommon. :)

To beat him (once again), you need to study. :study: