It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Frustrated
Post #101 Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:17 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Jeansburger wrote:
Quote:
Are you saying that you don't see how :b9: at 10 is better than :b9: in the actual game?

I see why it is better, it stops white from completing a capture of a stone and it also allows black to cut white apart. My problem is why I don't see those moves unless it's way after the fact.

Well, Black can't cut White apart, but the underneath hane does allow Black to save his stone. :)

Excuse me, you are a beginner. Sure, there are things that you don't see. But the fact that you learn them quickly, as you did in this case, means that you can advance rapidly. Some people are slow starters, that's all. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #102 Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:24 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
sybob wrote:
Jeansburger wrote:
I was told by one of the 1d that were at my local go group to not bother playing a bigger board until I'm about 5k :-? (or until my handicap was no stones on a 9x9 against him).

I say b.s.

I say double BS. And those are my initials! ;)

sybob wrote:
jeansburger wrote:
It didn't sound right to me but even when I asked for game reviews on the Baduk subreddit I was told I'm not ready to play on a larger board.

I say b.s.

I say double BS, again. Play on whatever size board you want to.

Edit: And play with a proper handicap, one that gives you around a 50-50 chance of winning. :)

----

That said, I am a fan of small boards and the capture game, where the first player to capture a stone wins. I have a friend who I would have to give many, many stones to on the 19x19, but the capture game on a 7x7 board makes a good game for us. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #103 Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 83
KGS: Pio2001
Hi,
Seeing that Black 3 and 5 could have been connected is maybe a bit technical for your level.

The biggest mistakes in my eyes are moves 21 to 27. You are defending a small amount of points while a much larger amount are at stakes on the top side of the board. You should let White take the small and play on the middle top star point in order to take the big.

Move 29 is locally very good. You didn't make the mistake of playing the hane just above it, that could not work.

Moves 31,33, 35 are correct for your level.

Then, with move 37, it is better to play on the 3-3 point instead of the 3-4. It secures the corner more effectively.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6