It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Book suggestions.
Post #1 Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:46 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
As a relative newcomer to the game, I recently purchased a book called, "Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go" by Toshiro Kageyama. It didn't take me long to realize that the book is not really a begginer's book.
I have played at Go for some time. I've known the rules since High School (a long time ago) I've played against programs specifically GoDroid which crushes me every time. There aren't any Go clubs where I live. So bearing in mind that I'm not a complete beginner. What book(s) would you suggest I read?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Book suggestions.
Post #2 Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 83
KGS: Pio2001
Hi Rickgarel,
If you are just above beginner (25 to 15 kyu), Learn to Play go vol II - The Way of the Moving Horse, by Janice Kim and Jeong Soo-Hyun, presents all the basics about strategy and tactics.

I've not read Robert Jasiek's books, but they have good reviews too.

Above 15 kyu, there are three good books about the opening : In the Beginning, by Ishigure, Opening Theory Made Easy, by Otake, and Fundamental Principles, by Yilun Yang. I've got the three of them and it's difficult to tell which is best. Ishigure explains more in depth. Yilun Yang presents more clearly what is important and what is less, but the book goes quickly above the beginner level after the two first chapters. Otake's book is the most complete, but it has less explanations than Ishigure, and doesn't guide the beginner as clearly as Yilun Yang.

For the middle game, Learn to Play go vol IV - Battle Strategies is good for 15 kyu players.
Attack and Defense, by James Davies and Akira Ishida is excellent, but not suited for players below 10 kyu.

Other concepts are developed in the last volume of Learn to Play Go (vol V - The Palace of Memory) : shapes and endgame basics. Some joseki and opening principles are also given.

All the above is about pure theory. You might need a book with problems too, especially life and death problems (tsumego), and tesuji. Beware not to get one too difficult.
I have hardly any book with problems, so I can't recommend any.

Post subject: Re: Book suggestions.
Post #3 Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:26 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
The first book I purchased was Janice Kim's The Way of the Moving Horse. I knew the rules but wanted some basic strategic guidance; it was a good fit. Richard Bozulich's The Second Book of Go is another book that is frequently recommended for advanced beginners. I haven't read it, but I understand it is a little more advanced than the Kim volume I recommended.

(If you do want a book of problems, the Graded Go Problems for Beginners series is excellent. Depending on how much you already know, you might want to start with volume 2.)