All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Names For A Few Common Moves
Post #1 Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:37 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Nothing profound here, just a visualization of a few common moves (since I’m in a ’shopping spree ;) ), and nothing new for the Old Hands here, but it may be useful for the tenderfeet :-)

Attachment:
Nobi-Tobi-Keima-Hane.png
Nobi-Tobi-Keima-Hane.png [ 890.51 KiB | Viewed 9324 times ]

Last edited by Bonobo on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Bonobo was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post subject: Re: Names For A Few Common Moves
Post #2 Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:09 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
Who couldn't love a nice daidai geima?

This post by wineandgolover was liked by: Bonobo

Post #3 Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:16 pm 
Oza

wineandgolover wrote:
Who couldn't love a nice daidai geima?

Well, that one is probably the most risky (dividable) of these moves, just recently I read somewhere that we should try to lure our opponents into playing it :-D

Post #4 Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:23 pm 
Oza

Uploaded a corrected version in the opening post … I had omitted part of the last sentence … next time I should sleep between creation and proofreading my own creation :-?

Post subject:
Post #5 Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:07 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Tom,

These "posters" are quite pretty --
are you a professional designer ?! :)

( A little caveat: when it says "board position & direction irrelevant",
it's not quite true: the 1-stone extension
has a few different names; it's not always nobi.
Example: in some cases, it could be a sagari (extends "downward", toward the edge of the board).
Another example: in some cases, when it's a horizontal 1-stone extension, it may have another name than nobi -- this is true in Chinese; but I'm not sure in Japanese. :)

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo

Post #6 Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:58 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 82
Was liked: 65
Nice illustrations of those moves, but.... do you think you could use another abbreviation such as "Jpn" or "Jp"?

This post by Nyanjilla was liked by: Bonobo

Post #7 Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:53 am 
Oza

Thanks everybody for all your friendly feedback :) I must repeat what I said elsewhere: your feedback gives me these nice warm and fuzzy feelings inside :-)

Marcel Grünauer wrote:
Should there be a comma between 伸び and ノビ?
Should it? That’s for “nobi”, right? I just copied the words from the SL page for “nobi”, and there is NO comma there, whereas for “hane” there clearly are two words, separated by a comma.

I’m thankful for any correction, though now I wish I had asked for some proofreading before I sent this out to all the Go networks where it has meanwhile been re-shared a (perceived) billion times :-?

EdLee wrote:
are you a professional designer ?! :)
Well, not easy to explain, I think … yes, I have worked in “prepress”/“pre-media” for a long time (layout/graphics/text & typography/image editing/…/ and six years of cartography … also done some freelance support/consulting for Mac and Windows users), then I’ve taught “(digital) media design” (branch: production, i.e. the technical side of prepress/pre-media) for almost ten years to future designers and media workers … currently I typeset boring industry machine manuals, extremely underpaid, after having some hard times with depression and unemployment, welfare, etc. So, yes, I am a professional, though not exactly “designer”. BTW I am thinking of quitting my job since I think I’ll rather be poor (at age of 58, soon 59, I probably won’t get a new job “out there”) but have more time for whatever I’d like to do (and whatever I’ll be able to do with much less €€) than continue doing a lonely, unloved and unsatisfying job. Friends at my age are dying all around, I urgently need to check my priorities. And it feels I’d rather spend my time creating such info graphics or the like for free than typesetting industry machine manuals in 20 European languages for too little money.

Quote:
( A little caveat: when it says "board position & direction irrelevant", it's not quite true: the 1-stone extension has a few different names; it's not always nobi.
YES, I know … the SL page tells a little about it, that’s why I wrote “extend/stretch/push/…”,and I had thought of adding something like “there are more terms for this, depending on the position on the board and game situation” but these were so many words :roll:

Quote:
Example: in some cases, it could be a sagari (extends "downward", toward the edge of the board).
Another example: in some cases, when it's a horizontal 1-stone extension, it may have another name than nobi -- this is true in Chinese; but I'm not sure in Japanese. :)
Yes, there’s also the Iron Pillar (is this your first example?

Ah, so much to improve … it feels as if I will never be finished with anything I touch …

Marcel Grünauer wrote:
[..] There's also narabi, hai for crawling and probably a few more. :)
Terrible, eh? So many opportunities to be confused :lol:

Nyanjilla wrote:
Nice illustrations of those moves, but.... do you think you could use another abbreviation such as "Jpn" or "Jp"?
Thanks, Nyanjilla – would you please explain why you believe “Jpn” or “Jp” are better? Or course I can use these in future if there are good reasons. Originally I had it written out as “Japanese” because that’s always best but then I had some space problems so I shortened it to “Jap.” … but after I decreased the font size I forgot to check again whether the full word would fit :-?

Post #8 Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:01 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 82
Was liked: 65
That three-letter abbreviation has a lot of baggage from the past. Not to native Japanese people, but to certain US citizens.

This post by Nyanjilla was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, illluck

Post #9 Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:28 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Bonobo wrote:
Friends at my age are dying all around, I urgently need to check my priorities.

You must be mixing with a group of unhealthy people. Perhaps you need a different type of friend - health conscious ones. I have friends who are dying as well, but most of them are closer to 80. I was one of the lucky one who semi-retired at 50 and am still trying to decide what I want to do for the next 20 years. I will be 64 this summer.

Post #10 Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:51 am 
Oza

DrStraw wrote:
You must be mixing with a group of unhealthy people. Perhaps you need a different type of friend - health conscious ones.
You may be falling for some “magic thinking” there … although I myself for sure must admit that I have always lived as if only micrometeorite impact could kill me, I know of many people who lived a virtuous and healthy life but died far too early nevertheless, as well as many people who lived like myself and got very old. It ain't that easy, I think.

Quote:
[..] I was one of the lucky one who semi-retired at 50
Good for you! Here in Germany they are currently discussing raising retirement age to 70 (SEVENTY!), lobby of the same people who don't employ people older than 50 :mad:

Quote:
and am still trying to decide what I want to do for the next 20 years. I will be 64 this summer.
I wish you good luck! Health and Happiness!

Post #11 Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:59 am 
Oza

Nyanjilla wrote:
That three-letter abbreviation has a lot of baggage from the past. Not to native Japanese people, but to certain US citizens.
Oh, I understand … you mean how “japs” was used as a derogatory word in WW2 … I have read about that … will do it differently next time, and maybe I’ll upload a new image here (but won’t promise the latter right now).

Thanks for educating me.

This post by Bonobo was liked by: illluck