It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Internet Go School
Post #1 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:11 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 0
How do you guys use the internet go school at its maximum value?

Post subject: Re: Internet Go School
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:41 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 14
KGS: wiseMouse
Universal go server handle: WiseMouse
Hi Glummie,

As of this post, I have a one hundred and sixty-three-day streak with the internet go school training system. I have a years subscription to both the lectures and the training system. I'm outlining how I use the program, your mileage may vary.

The high points are

1. I always watch and pay attention to, the lecture before adding the problems to my problem set.
2. I don't watch a lecture every day. Instead, I only add new lectures when I have zero problems in the new column, and less than 10 in the learning column.
3. I won't add multiple lectures from a series at a time. I will add a problem set from up to three distinct tracks, however. Life and death: corner shapes, star point joseki, and 3-4 joseki for example.
4. Even if I remember the solution I still think about the problem for a bit.
5. If you are from the west, you might have serious problems with your fundamentals and will pick up value from very basic lectures that patch holes you did not know you had.

Number two is the key in my opinion. I would also start by only doing one lecture track at a time if you have no problem quickly meeting the criteria to add a new lecture start experimenting with multiple lecture tracks.

This post by WiseMouse was liked by 2 people: Kirgan, serbes

Post #3 Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:59 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
I posted some thoughts in this thread a few months ago.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:58 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 25
Hi Glummie,

My way of using the site is much the same as WiseMouse.

Some times I'll watch more than one lecture at a time; e.g. the step-by-step course, as I watched some of them a few years ago when I last had a subscription, or if I feel the content is not really new for me. Generally I'll only add 10 new problems a day, but it depends on how difficult they are. I aim to do around 100 problems every day. I think with a system like this it's not so important the actual number, but to do them consistently.

When initially learning the problems, if I have any trouble at all recalling the variations, I'll use the 'not yet' and repeat them the next day, and continue to do so until I feel like I've really gotten a good grasp of them. Once I've "learnt" the problems, if I make any mistakes I either use "forgotten" or "hard" so that I can have a chance to repeat them again. My feeling is that if I repeat problems until they become almost boring, then I'm more likely to be able to actually apply those things in my games.

Like wisemouse, I only have problem sets that I've actually watched the lectures for, often something quite vital is missing from just doing the problems. Also when solving the problems, I try and recall from the lecture why things are good/bad, the other possible variations etc. If I find that I'm getting a lot of problems from a particular set wrong, I'll re-watch the lecture.

I think there is a temptation to jump around between topics, because there is so many interesting things on the site. I try and be fairly disciplined with what I study, and try and have some kind of logical progression. e.g. I did the opening training level A set, then moved on to some lectures for the Chinese opening because that particular opening interested me. I didn't go too far with those, as they began to get beyond what is really reasonable for my level.

I also like to have the opportunity to apply what I'm learning in my games. I'd really like to watch the mini-Chinese lectures as well, but have set myself a rough goal of playing 100 games with the Chinese opening first before watching any other specific opening lectures. Being able to continually solve the problems is good, but applying the concepts in real games is even better.

Usually it's things that come up in my games that guide what to study next. I lost two games because I mishandled L+2 groups under time pressure, so I watched the lectures on them. Reviewing my games I realised that unless I could get an early lead in my games, I would lose- the problem being that I was unsure and afraid to invade positions. So now I'm doing Mingjiu Jiangs lessons on invasions. These have been very eye opening, but learning all the variations is taking a long time. So I go back to some more basic things in between, like finishing off the step-by-step lectures.

I think it's important to remember that there are other important things to be doing to improve, learning theory is fine, but you need to have the experience from games, and strong reading to back it up. I love the site, and rave about the lectures + training system to anyone that will listen. Still, playing games and solving L&D//Tesuji problems still takes up the majority of the time I dedicate to the game.

All the best, and I hope you enjoy using the site.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:29 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 0
Thanks for the reply guys!