It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please give general advise on posting here
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:51 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 145
Was liked: 17
Hi,

having posted several questions in the beginners' section I've been wondering what the active forum members or moderators would advise or prefer:

I like being able to ask questions, and having a separate thread for each might make the topic clearer and maybe more attractive for people to see if they want to answer.
However, I do not want to clutter the beginners' section with my multiple questions.

I've seen there are study journals, and I've been thinking about creating my own, so I can track my posts/questions and the answers there, and just add new questions as they arise.
I don't know if the board etiquette considers a beginner's study journal a bit exaggerated?

And will people be likely to reply to a study journal question, or more likely to reply to a new (specific) topic?

What would you advise or prefer?

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:18 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Jika,

Either way is OK, imo. :)

This post by EdLee was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Jika

Post subject: Re: Please give general advise on posting here
Post #3 Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:25 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Jika wrote:
Hi,

having posted several questions in the beginners' section I've been wondering what the active forum members or moderators would advise or prefer:

I like being able to ask questions, and having a separate thread for each might make the topic clearer and maybe more attractive for people to see if they want to answer.
However, I do not want to clutter the beginners' section with my multiple questions.

Often beginners ask questions that other beginners have asked. How to score is a frequent question, for example. That means that if you have a question, you may find that it has already been answered in the beginners section. You can search or browse the section to try to find the answer. OTOH, you may have a question that nobody else has asked, such as how to play a particular position, The answer to that question may be of help to other beginners. Such a question is not clutter. :)

Quote:
I've seen there are study journals, and I've been thinking about creating my own, so I can track my posts/questions and the answers there, and just add new questions as they arise.
I don't know if the board etiquette considers a beginner's study journal a bit exaggerated?

Not at all, and there is nothing wrong with asking questions in the beginners section and also having a study journal. :) There is also nothing wrong with cross-referencing the two. For instance, you may ask a question in your study journal and get answers and later, if you think that other beginners might profit from the Q&A, provide a link to the discussion in the beginners section. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Jika