It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how to compare gnugo AI with kyu level?
Post #1 Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:54 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I was playing against godroid on my phone, it was my first "serious" game after I just read several tactis and background and did some "dirty" games without thinking a lot against the phone. I won the game by 20:14.5 with 2 stones handicap and 5.5 komi and AI strength level 1.

Now I wonder, what kyu represents AI strength 1? Somewhere I read, that

Quote:
GNU Go is an AI engine that plays Go at about 8 to 12 kyu strength.

so that means, level 1 strength is 12kyu? That would make me kyu14 if I can steadily win that configuration (and of course would to have test this against human players as well), but I dont really think that is true because I just started.
So, can you even compare the gnugo AI that way to know in what range of kyu you are?

Post subject: Re: how to compare gnugo AI with kyu level?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:42 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
It's hard to make good comparisons with human levels for bots using traditional methods like that. First, they tend to make weird mistakes compared to humans, and so beating them at a level doesn't necessarily translate to a specific human level, but more of a range. Second, their strength is often based on their computation resources, and so depending on your phone and whatever else is running on it, it may be higher or lower.

If you're curious about your specific level, just play 5-10 games on KGS or OGS or something and see where you stand.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:53 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
The bot GnuGo2 is 11k on KGS (a few years ago, GnuGo was 12k, so KGS ranks may have become weaker). I don't know how this compares to AI Level 1 on GoDroid.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:04 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
If a (non learning) bot plays in a server, with many different people, it will tend to be in a specific rating. If the rating system of the server sucks, then that's another issue.

But if you play the same bot several times, you will notice that it becomes easier and easier to beat it, even if you are not becoming a better player. That's because, as a human (you are human, right?) you adapt your style and way of playing to that specific player (=bot) even if you don't realize. You aren't improving, you just learn how to take advantage of the bot's flaws.

So I wouldn't use gnugo to rate your own strength.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:30 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
If you post some game record then I think you might get some advise on how to set your rank on servers or in real life. However, ranks are mostly about playing games in a setting that you like against other humans so comparing to GnuGo won't be a good estimate. For one thing people often play GnuGo without a clock and often have played hundreds of games with it already. It is a bit like a solitaire because you just get a little bit better at beating GnuGo every time you try because it makes similar moves in the same situations and is easily tricked.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:56 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
shia wrote:
I was playing against godroid on my phone, it was my first "serious" game after I just read several tactis and background and did some "dirty" games without thinking a lot against the phone. I won the game by 20:14.5 with 2 stones handicap and 5.5 komi and AI strength level 1.

Now I wonder, what kyu represents AI strength 1? Somewhere I read, that
There is an Android phone application for the Online Go Server.

If you want a decent idea on your rank, there are a few easy options on the OGS app. Don't click "Play Against AI" because that is playing against the strong KataGo AI. Instead, click "Custom Game" and then for "Opponent" you can choose weaker AI bots across a wide range of ranks, 26kyu, 21kyu, 12kyu, and so on, up to 9dan.