It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: online go capture and the learning curve
Post #1 Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:34 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hi

I'm completely new to go and completely new to this site. Having recently started to play go against the comp and online and having lost all games, I eventually found capture-go

http://361points.com/capturego/

I found this a fantastic introduction to go! Having started off with a 7x7 and losing, I now am able to win 13x13 games against recommended high settings. It was a great learning curve and I had a lot of fun because I understood why I lost.

Is there a something similar intuitive, instructive and fun that teaches the next or other steps?

Cheers
Chris

Post subject: Re: online go capture and the learning curve
Post #2 Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
barrayw wrote:
Hi

I'm completely new to go and completely new to this site. Having recently started to play go against the comp and online and having lost all games, I eventually found capture-go

http://361points.com/capturego/

I found this a fantastic introduction to go! Having started off with a 7x7 and losing, I now am able to win 13x13 games against recommended high settings. It was a great learning curve and I had a lot of fun because I understood why I lost.

Is there a something similar intuitive, instructive and fun that teaches the next or other steps?

Cheers
Chris

Not that I know of. (IMO) the best way to get the hang of standard go is to play your first few games with someone who knows what they're doing, and who can point out the basic mistakes you might be making. If you aren't able to do that on a real board, KGS' beginners room (and KGS teaching ladder) are great to find friendly people to do it with.

Post subject: Re: online go capture and the learning curve
Post #3 Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
Just play Igowin for a bit, perhaps solve a few easy go problems and then jump on KGS. The automatch will find opponents around your skill-level.