It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The January Tourney Sign Up Thread.
Post #21 Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 0
And Sink and I will play at 11am UTC, Saturday
cheers,

Post #22 Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:30 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 15
KGS: robinz
And, to complete the fixture list, Rafa and I are going to play at 2pm GMT on Saturday.

Post #23 Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:28 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 22
KGS: Mnemonic, dude13
I won the first game between me and Koroviev.

Post #24 Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:54 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 35
Thanks for the game Mnemonic, I enjoyed it. Fuming about my L&D blunder at the top :grumpy: , but I think you had it won anyway. Bring on the rematch!

Any comments on the above game would be appreciated.

Post #25 Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:44 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Mnemonic and Koro: a few thoughts...

7: Not big on this one. It doesn't seem to do enough of anything. In a similar situation last night, I had O5 used against me, which is similar, but I like the shape more. Alternatively, options like attaching at R3 seem interesting.
20: Good timing on this move. The opening thus far has been fairly reasonable and sensible. Good job to both.
29: At a glance, I would like to be even more aggressive, and play D14. If you can break through above or below that attaching stone, you'll hurt white.
30: This seems to be trying to prevent black from getting the middle? Each player has lots of access to the middle, so it's unlikely that the middle will become a large territory anytime soon. Instead, let's look for areas that are big. Are there weak groups? The white group in the bottom left and the attached stones in the top left look dicey. K4 would help the bottom group, or D12 would take control in the top left. Either are fairly urgent.
32: Diagonal stones count as a contact play, and if you're going to try to attack with contact plays, you want to have a clear idea of what you're going to get out of it. I recommend being prudent and pulling back to a cap with G15 or a looser enclosure with H15.
35: Better to get out than to live small inside (especially if you're not sure you'll live). Keep pushing up with G15 until either you're out or your opponent draws a line in the sand.
36: Good. Sealing is always worthwhile.
45: Again, try to get out. L16 is a good place to start.
50: While this is by no means small, I think there's a bit better if you zoom out and look at the global position. The bottom left group is still weak, so helping that more directly would be nice. However, take a look at the top. Sure, black lived inside your turf. However, you got great local thickness. Now's a good time to throw your weight around to pressure local stones there. For example, D12 solidifies territory on the left and will also let you cut off some of black's stones in the area to start building a decent middle territory as well.
51: Good, for the reason that it's where W really wanted to play. Helps your stones, and the added strength helps nullify white's new thickness. Just in time.
55: I prefer B11. You'll get to capture C11 or B12, so your stones will be fine.
61: This shape is bad/weird. If you want to cut off J6, unless you've read out a full sequence with this move, just use J5.
65: Connecting at H5 is more urgent.
145: H19.

Good game overall! Thanks for sharing!

Post subject: Re: The January Tourney Thread.
Post #26 Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:15 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
KGS: S1NK

1-0 to SinK

My (Dead) Study Journal
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2058

Post #27 Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:46 am 
Lives with ko

My thoughts on the game:

7: Wierd approach F16/17 is more usual. This isn't horrible but is gote.

9:A general rule is don't attach to weak stones attack them more indirectly in this case N/O17 encloses the corner while attacking OR J17 builds a base while attacking but does mean the natural response for white is a corner approach and a base builder.

18: See my Study journal thread for a fantastic explanation of 3-3 invasions with and without the approach stone by Chew, Marcus, Redundant and Judicata (link in signature, starts on page 2)

32: This is a shoulder hit you almost always respond by extending into the stone like so:

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$c Position at move x
$$ --------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . 1 2 . . . .
$$ | . . . , W . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . . .[/go]

43: F18 is a better move to fight for the corner and G17 is better for giving up and building a basse on the outside your move creates a weak group and a dead group here for you.

54:This is an elephants jump. Never do it (it is horrible shape) and almost alway cut it when someone else does it.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$c Position at move x
$$ --------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . B . . . . .
$$ | . . . , 2 . . . .
$$ | . . . . . 1 . . .[/go]

69: and again.

71: Just build a base you move does nothing to settle and little to escape. C5 builds a base and if it works the whites F6 group starts looking very attackable.

73:E9 or F8 to start connecting is better. You will need to sacrifice something here or risk losing it all you have weak groups everywhere and most move that save a group help white attack the other.

82: Look at what happened here perfectly natural moves here and pretty much the but result you could hope for from the invasion but you have practically forced white to attack the C8 + E7 stones, take away the base from from the G4 stones and reinforce his own F5 stones and he gets to do all this in sente.

94:Here is where the game ends to my mind this sequence is what I mean about saving the one group forces white to attack the other. The left side is cut off and in horrible shape to make eyes and white has a way into your massive framework moyo on the right.

Those are my thoughts on the game... obviously my rank of 11k should act as a caveat. Anything I say could be wrong... except the bit about elephant jumps that stuff is gospel.

My (Dead) Study Journal

Post #28 Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:06 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 24
Was liked: 59
GD Posts: 227
KGS: Aphelion02
G16 is fine, I see high dan players play it all the time :). I don't know a single joseki for it, but it certainly looks good and completely playable.

Post #29 Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:10 am 
Lives in gote

Rafa won our first game - I had an advantage early on, but he played very well to take advantage of some poor play from myself :) Aphelion has just given us a very comprehensive review, but if others want to add any comments (try not to point and laugh too much about my obvious blunders, which became bigger as the game went on ;-) ) then feel free.

We have agreed to play our second game tomorrow night at 7pm GMT - and I promise I will try to be more awake when the time comes ;-)

[sgf-full]http://files.gokgs.com/games/2011/1/8/Camarao-robinz.sgf[/sgf-full]

Post #30 Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:13 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 2
GD Posts: 21
KGS: Rafa
This game was awfully played by me,black should have won calmly. I hope next game will come out smoothly without any major errors like this was.

Post #31 Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:31 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 22
KGS: Mnemonic, dude13
robinz wrote:
(try not to point and laugh too much about my obvious blunders)

Some of those bad comments might have been mine. :oops: And you are probably going to wipe the floor with me when we meet next round or something :lol:

:blackeye:

Post #32 Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:39 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 0
SinK wrote:
My thoughts on the game:

Those are my thoughts on the game... obviously my rank of 11k should act as a caveat. Anything I say could be wrong... except the bit about elephant jumps that stuff is gospel.

Thanks for the comments.
The biggest mistake I made in the game is that I make too many weak groups. (plus many many defects...)
Hope I can do better today :bow: :bow:

Post #33 Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:08 am 
Lives with ko

Tried out a tengen opening thinking I could try something new against an 18k and rely on my vastly superior go skills to deal with any novelties... Thank you viprr for teaching me that hubris is a sin.

viprr 1-1 SinK :grumpy:

My (Dead) Study Journal

Post #34 Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:32 am 
Lives in gote

Mnemonic wrote:
robinz wrote:
(try not to point and laugh too much about my obvious blunders)

Some of those bad comments might have been mine. :oops: And you are probably going to wipe the floor with me when we meet next round or something :lol:

:blackeye:

hehe, I like the psychological warfare already :D

You're perfectly entitled to have made whatever rude comments you like during the game - many of my moves thoroughly deserved them, especially K3 (insert "head banging against wall" smiley - I've seen them on other forums, and think this one needs one too ;-)) We'll see what happens if we play, but you're 1-0 already with a chance to go 2-0, whereas 1-1 is the best I can now manage in this round, and after yesterday I'm under no illusions whatsoever that it's going to be easy (S1NK's game just posted is further evidence of this) :cool:

Post #35 Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:15 pm 
Lives in gote

I did win the second game against Rafa, so our score finishes at 1-1 - but he certainly didn't make it easy for me! It felt like a very strange game, and I didn't really know what I was doing for most of it. Was a long way behind part-way through, but managed to pull off an invasion that probably shouldn't have worked, followed by being able to cut off and kill one of his groups. Thanks very much for the games Rafa - on this form you'll be able to at least give anyone else in this tournament a run for their money :tmbup:

The game follows - note that the nonsense I perpetrate at around move 100 is entirely due to my somehow missing that black had a liberty at P10 :scratch:

[sgf-full]http://files.gokgs.com/games/2011/1/9/robinz-Camarao.sgf[/sgf-full]

Post #36 Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:32 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 2
GD Posts: 21
KGS: Rafa
Thanks to Robinz for the game which i enjoyed a lot, commenting on game game i was very very greedy and ended up loosing the game, i hope i can change that in the future

Post #37 Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:39 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 35
Chew Terr wrote:
Mnemonic and Koro: a few thoughts...

7: Not big on this one. It doesn't seem to do enough of anything. In a similar situation last night, I had O5 used against me, which is similar, but I like the shape more. Alternatively, options like attaching at R3 seem interesting.
20: Good timing on this move. The opening thus far has been fairly reasonable and sensible. Good job to both.
29: At a glance, I would like to be even more aggressive, and play D14. If you can break through above or below that attaching stone, you'll hurt white.
30: This seems to be trying to prevent black from getting the middle? Each player has lots of access to the middle, so it's unlikely that the middle will become a large territory anytime soon. Instead, let's look for areas that are big. Are there weak groups? The white group in the bottom left and the attached stones in the top left look dicey. K4 would help the bottom group, or D12 would take control in the top left. Either are fairly urgent.
32: Diagonal stones count as a contact play, and if you're going to try to attack with contact plays, you want to have a clear idea of what you're going to get out of it. I recommend being prudent and pulling back to a cap with G15 or a looser enclosure with H15.
35: Better to get out than to live small inside (especially if you're not sure you'll live). Keep pushing up with G15 until either you're out or your opponent draws a line in the sand.
36: Good. Sealing is always worthwhile.
45: Again, try to get out. L16 is a good place to start.
50: While this is by no means small, I think there's a bit better if you zoom out and look at the global position. The bottom left group is still weak, so helping that more directly would be nice. However, take a look at the top. Sure, black lived inside your turf. However, you got great local thickness. Now's a good time to throw your weight around to pressure local stones there. For example, D12 solidifies territory on the left and will also let you cut off some of black's stones in the area to start building a decent middle territory as well.
51: Good, for the reason that it's where W really wanted to play. Helps your stones, and the added strength helps nullify white's new thickness. Just in time.
55: I prefer B11. You'll get to capture C11 or B12, so your stones will be fine.
61: This shape is bad/weird. If you want to cut off J6, unless you've read out a full sequence with this move, just use J5.
65: Connecting at H5 is more urgent.
145: H19.

Good game overall! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot Chew, lots to think about.

Post #38 Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
Stefany93 was unable to make it to our previously arranged match because of a sudden departure for England. We've rescheduled for this evening around 5-6 EST.

Post #39 Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:38 am 
Lives with ko

Monadology wrote:
Stefany93 was unable to make it to our previously arranged match because of a sudden departure for England. We've rescheduled for this evening around 5-6 EST.

Thanks to everyone for getting these done within the week. I will have the results and next round match ups done tomorrow morning so we can keep this on track.

My (Dead) Study Journal

Post #40 Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:31 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
Since KGS was down this evening, Stefany93 and I missed our second appointed time. Count this one as a no-go, since the time difference means there won't be a chance for a match by tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next