It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upper Right corner
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:13 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: Brisket21
I was always told that when you are black you should play your first move there as a sign of respect. But there is someone who when I play them they start of by immediately playing and threatening my stone as opposed to taking another corner because they say they feel like I invaded there side of the board. Is there something with that I am missing.

Post subject: Re: Upper Right corner
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:57 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Brisket2000 wrote:
I was always told that when you are black you should play your first move there as a sign of respect. But there is someone who when I play them they start of by immediately playing and threatening my stone as opposed to taking another corner because they say they feel like I invaded there side of the board. Is there something with that I am missing.

That's kind of funny. I've also heard that (in Japan) it's considered polite to play in the top right corner, but I've never heard of someone being offended by it. But what's the big deal? If he feels you've invaded his territory, then so be it. Invasion is part of the game. Let the fight begin!

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:12 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Then you can be the first to play at TWO of the other three open corners. Enjoy the game. :)

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:58 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Playing the first move in the upper right corner is considered polite, but its not a rule.

And in online play, it makes even less sense, because that move would be in the opponents lower left corner. I never see anyone playing their first move in my lower left corner :)

Its also considered respectful for white to play their first move in their own lower right corner (black's upper left). To do otherwise is considered a challenge.

So you opponent challenges you. Accept the challenge, and fight back (either directly, or by taking another empty corner, as Ed suggests)

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:14 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
I've never heard the etiquette rule about white playing his own first move in his lower-right corner. It may well exist, but I don't think it is followed even close to as often as the rule about black playing her first stone in her upper-right. For instance, just take a random sampling from this page, and you'll quickly see that White is willing to play in all three open corners for his first move. The difference is that when Black plays, all corners are equal, but that is rarely true on White's first turn.

To the OP: if your opponent decides to approach your stone, feel free to either respond or take another corner. Notice that if you've played a 3-4 for example, and white approaches at 5-3 or 5-4, you can tenuki and it will be the same as if your opponent started at 5-3 or 5-4 and you made a normal approach to his stone.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:39 pm 
Beginner

GD Posts: 7
KGS: MysticXG
The playing in the upper right corner rule, is for when they play on a real board, where they are sitting opposite of each other. The idea supposedly, is that it would be polite for a player to play there, so their opponent would not have to reach to the other side to respond. That being the case, although it tends to become a habit to do that online, the original meaning of doing that is lost lol.

In general though, whether you follow this tradition is up to the player, but there isn't really anything saying that your opponent must also play on your side instead of attacking the stone. It may be more beneficial in general if he does though.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:28 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
xed_over wrote:
Its also considered respectful for white to play their first move in their own lower right corner (black's upper left). To do otherwise is considered a challenge.

Where did that idea come from?

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:45 pm 
Oza

Bill Spight wrote:
xed_over wrote:

Where did that idea come from?

haha... I read it in a book, Master Play: The Playing Styles of Seven Top Pros by Yuan Zhou
page 3.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:16 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 353
Was liked: 107
GD Posts: 460
I'm just wondering. I never asked my opponent. But in online go is my upper right corner also his upper right corner?

Post #10 Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:26 pm 
Oza

cyclops wrote:
I'm just wondering. I never asked my opponent. But in online go is my upper right corner also his upper right corner?

yep.

silly, isn't it?

Post #11 Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:30 pm 
Beginner

KGS: Brisket21
Thanks everyone for the answers.