It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help me sort my head out!!
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:35 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
KGS: markeemark
Online playing schedule: irregular due to work
Hi all

I need some real help with my psychology in this game.

I dont expect to become a good player without a lot of effort, but i get so dispondent as I am hammered in almost every game I play.

I know that I will probably lose a lot of games when i start but i just tend to blow up inside and make the same mistakes time after time (mosting still in life and death situations). This leads me to think Im wasting my time.

I play on KGS and when i started it rated me at 5 K (wrongly!).
I want to put the effort in and have invested in a few books but need some assistance in working out how to get through this difficult first stage.

Some people say that I should only play games and others say I should just study, I could do with a consensus on which is better?

Sorry for the length of this post but im really stuck,so early on in my Go career (2 months in).

Thanks
markeemark

Post subject: Re: help me sort my head out!!
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:37 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
markeemark wrote:
Some people say that I should only play games and others say I should just study, I could do with a consensus on which is better?
At the beginner level, there is more benefit in playing many games than in reading many books; try something like 90% playing and 10% studying.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:42 pm 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 114
markeemark wrote:
Hi all

I dont expect to become a good player without a lot of effort, but i get so dispondent as I am hammered in almost every game I play.

I know that I will probably lose a lot of games when i start but i just tend to blow up inside and make the same mistakes time after time (mosting still in life and death situations). This leads me to think Im wasting my time.

I play on KGS and when i started it rated me at 5 K (wrongly!).
I want to put the effort in and have invested in a few books but need some assistance in working out how to get through this difficult first stage.

Sorry for the length of this post but im really stuck,so early on in my Go career (2 months in).

Thanks
markeemark

Play games. Games games games games games.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:48 pm 
Dies with sente

They dont seem to be working thats the problem but thanks anyway

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
markeemark wrote:
They dont seem to be working thats the problem but thanks anyway

You've given yourself only 2 months.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:32 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
markeemark wrote:

Consider this... Its actually possible to play and lose every game, yet still improve considerably.

Think about baseball players. Great batters still strike out about 75% of the time.

Learn to embrace the loss as a learning opportunity. Have fun with it. Experiment. See what works and what doesn't, because it doesn't matter if you lose, you still win.

Post subject:
Post #7 Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:39 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Try to finish 100 games. 9x9, 13x13, or 19x19 doesn't matter. Just play. :)

Post #8 Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:20 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
markeemark wrote:
Hi all

xed_over makes a good point. Losing does not mean that you aren't learning. :) Losing can be discouraging, but remember, because of the accurate handicapping system in go, you will lose about half the time, even after you have improved. Get your opponents to give you more handicap stones, so that you win about half the time. You should change the handicap by one stone after each game, because you will be making rapid progress. :)

Quote:

You are making the same mistakes over and over? Then you know what to focus your learning on. Now, just saying, my groups die, does not mean that you are making the same mistakes. They may die for different reasons. Analyze your mistakes. Turn your weaknesses into strengths, so that you never make those mistakes again. Set up similar situations, so that you are sure that you know what the key elements of the positions are.

Quote:

It's a game. Have fun! :)

Quote:

Do both. :)

Good luck! :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:31 am 
Dies with sente

Thanks all

Very constructive comments!

Maybe your right Bill and I have been a bit hard on myself.

As the main issue is life and death and reading I think that is where I will start.

Thanks again my head isnt sorted yet but I am on the right path!