It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: learning together?
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: SJC91
So, I am new to Go, and I have always been interested in it.
I am buying a set for my own birthday next saturday, and I plan on bringing it to school to play with friends between classes.
Those said friends are also interested in learning.

I just have to ask this: Is it a good idea to learn with someone? Personally, I think it is a good idea, because we all can start getting an idea of the game through playing each other. I do plan on getting some books, but I plan to play more than read.

Post subject: Re: learning together?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:02 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
sjoecool1991 wrote:
Is it a good idea to learn with someone?
Yes. This applies to more than just Go as well.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:03 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
sjoecool1991 wrote:
So, I am new to Go, and I have always been interested in it.
I am buying a set for my own birthday next saturday, and I plan on bringing it to school to play with friends between classes.
Those said friends are also interested in learning.

I just have to ask this: Is it a good idea to learn with someone? Personally, I think it is a good idea, because we all can start getting an idea of the game through playing each other. I do plan on getting some books, but I plan to play more than read.

it is good to have competition. but for learning it is best to have someone strong.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #4 Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:22 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
KGS: antispin
Yes, I think it's good to learn with friends who are also beginners. But Magicwand makes a good point, that you'll improve faster playing stronger players.

Making sure you understand the rules is the first step. Then you can play with your friends. A little later, if you want to improve more quickly, perhaps try playing on KGS and reading some books.

It's great you say you are interested in go. One word of advice - keep at it even though you may feel daunted and confused at first. That does not mean you don't have a mind for this game - everyone finds it hard at first. Just gain experience and you'll learn naturally. The more you play, the more you see, and the more fun it gets.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:09 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 0
though magicwand definitely has got a point, i would say hold tight to those friends who seem interested. i have discovered go many years ago, but could never find someone to play, so i played a few games and had to give up. i than discovered you could play it on internet, but it's still not the same. play with your friends and don't worry so much, just have fun. later on, when you feel you want to get stronger faster, you can look for a club in your area, or a tutor, or whatever, taking magicwand's advice, but i would make playing with your friends who are interested in the game, and growing together, top priority for now. it's not so much the idea of competition, but rather of not being "alone" in it, i think it's much more fun like that. you have plenty of time, just have fun, don't rush.