It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is skipping a turn allowed in GO?
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:46 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Is skipping a turn allowed in GO? Because there seems to be an option in KGS to pass so I was wondering if this allowed in the game.

Post subject: Re: Is skipping a turn allowed in GO?
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
knowsnogo wrote:
Is skipping a turn allowed in GO? Because there seems to be an option in KGS to pass so I was wondering if this allowed in the game.

You may pass any time you like, but this will give you a disadvantage (as your opponent thus gets 2 moves in a row) unless there are no more useful moves to make.

If there are no more useful moves, both players will choose to pass, and this is how we mark the end of the game - two consecutive passes.

Post subject: Re: Is skipping a turn allowed in GO?
Post #3 Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:51 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Yes. Passing is a valid option. Before the game is finished (i.e. boundaries of territory have been definitely established), it's not something that you usually want to do, because (hopefully) moves that you make are providing you some sort of benefit.

When both players pass subsequently, the game is over, and you can count. It's at this stage where the boundaries have been established, and you can count points. If you both pass and the boundaries aren't quite finished, then you should resume the game and finish up the boundaries.

Anyway, you typically don't pass until the end of the game - unless you want to insult your opponent or something (eg. "Even if I pass, I can still beat you! Hahahah!").