All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Later age beginners, replaying games
Post #1 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:19 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
KGS: johanesek
Hi,
I'm new to GO and I'm interested, if it is possible to get reasonably good when you start playing at later age. I mean, you constantly hear of some magic kid who can beat pros, but what about the older ones. I'm personally 28 right now, so my question is: Is here anybody who started playing around 30y and reached dan levels? I'm not quitting GO in case of negative answer, just curious about it. :scratch:
Second question, Janice Kim suggests to replay games on go board as a part of a study. Is this beneficial for player of my skill (20+ kyu)? If yes, which games to replay and where can i find them? Currently I'm reading Janice Kim's books, solving Graded go problems for beginners vol 1. and playing on KGS.

Post subject: Re: Later age beginners, replaying games
Post #2 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:25 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
People will tell you different things regarding whether it is possible to get good or not when you are older.

I personally believe that whether you "can" do something or not depends on you and you alone. The negative or positive opinions of other people are just that - opinions.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:20 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 45
You can definitely reach Dan level but it will most likely take several years and at a few points you will have to get pretty serious about studying.

I personally think that age is exaggerated as a handicap in learning go. Yes, a child's brain is different than an adults but children are also in a position for go to take up a larger portion of their lives and mental energies than adults.

I think the absolute worse thing you can do is convince yourself you're doomed to progress at a slow pace just because you're in your late 20s.

As for replaying professional games, I would wait until you're around the SDK range. I credit replaying pro game with getting me from 5-3k and if I had time to do it more often I'm confident it could help get me to dan level.

You are probably better off watching players in the 4-6k range.

You have many worlds to explore as you get deeper into go. There will be many barriers. Age is a relatively minor one.

P.S. I'm 27 and have been playing regularly for about 2 years. If you want some general lessons to help you with DDK players, let me know.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 10
GD Posts: 109
KGS: lovely
Tygem: imsohot
I don't think you can be too old to learn go. James Kerwin 1p started learning in college and went on to become a professional. The matter is, as RedStick mentioned, that children have more time. The only responsibility of kids is to go to school. I know if I started learning go as a youngster, I could devote 6-10 hours a day to go, because I have no other responsibilities. As an adult now, though, I realize that is almost impossible. I'm lucky if I can get in an hour or two daily.

If you want to reach dan level, it will take a lot of intensive studying once you become a single-digit kyu (9k-1k). Getting to that stage, though, isn't very hard; it mostly comes down to doing some basic problems, playing games, and reading a few books.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:32 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
I started at about 38, and got to 1d after about 5 or 6 years (can't remember exactly offhand). Took a lot of dedication and time, which is in short supply when you have a demanding job and a family, but it can be done. Helps if you love the game.

This post by quantumf was liked by: lovely

Post #6 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:45 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2339
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
I played my first game when I was 24. There have been various periods of intense activity and non-activity over the years. This included about three years in the late '80s when I almost stopped, following the birth of my children. However, Go is very forgiving if you enjoy it. Even when you do not have much time, there are always books to read and, these days, global forums of nit wits to natter away with. :blackeye: Welcome!

I have found playing through games to be enjoyable. But I am way past the age where I thought the payback from memorization was worth the effort. If you do it, just make sure that you do it in a way that is enjoyable for you! Take as much or as little away from each game as you find there. Go is a life-long friend that will always meet you half way. :)

Post #7 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:40 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I started when I was about 30 or 31. I reached 1 dan within about 5 years by playing for several hours one evening per week at the local club.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:44 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
oh am I not glad that i have started young!. I find I can challenge men twice my age now ;-)

Post #9 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:26 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 8
I started 19y old but quit after 1y with over 90% of my games as handicap games only, against dan players(best result 5stones win against country champion)

After 24y break i returned thx to Hikaru no go :lol: and needed close to 2y for 1d. So it is possible to reach dan levels even if you start much older than your current age. You can have even advantage with much more free time than in young wild age :twisted:

Post #10 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:25 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
There is only one good way to improve: tsumego. 90% of go strength is reading. Do as much as possible go problems.

Post #11 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:25 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
lobotommy wrote:
There is only one good way to improve: tsumego. 90% of go strength is reading. Do as much as possible go problems.

This is no universal rule. I've been doing tsumego for two years and haven't improved. Now I don't do tsumego to improve, I just do it for fun.

Post #12 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
Well work harder & play 50 games per week ;)

Tsumego as l&d problems is a one thing, the other is reading ability which need a lot of hard work on tsumego, tesuji & joseki. If you do a lot of tsumego your reading should improve. But you need to do it in a correct way. And of course you need to play a lot of games. But tsumego as a testing and training field is very important. Solving problems is not important, important is ability to concentrate and to read very deep before you get bored and decide to play stupid move - this is the most important ability you need to acquire through hard work with problems (tsumego, joseki, tesuji).

I think that playing through a pro games has a merit around 3-4 kyu not earlier. Of course it is only my point of view.

Post #13 Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:59 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 2
I'm 30 and I started about 6 weeks ago and am somewhere around 21-23kyu. I have personally found some benefit replaying pro games that have commentary. So far, doing so has helped me with my openings (along with reading Opening Theory Made Easy). It has also helped me to see how an individual move can accomplish multiple things. And while I haven't been able to put this second part into my own games as much, I like the "bigger picture" look it grants me.

I should mention, however, that I have spent most of my time on problems (going through GoChild and Graded Go Problems for Beginners) as well as playing when I can. With a job and a young child, it's hard to find time. Thankfully, my wife complains that I've become obsessed. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.