Post subject: Re: punishing joseki
Post #21 Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:47 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
CXUD wrote:
I'm glad to get any help I can get.

I realize this sounds strange but I can't buy paper books, I've adopted an ahimsa policy, which is nearly impossible to follow, but I add each thing piece by piece and books have been added (along with meat and root vegetables ect.) if there's an online version I'll try to buy it that way though.

It's admirable to try not to do harm. Does your policy allow you to use library books? If so you might be able to get some go books on interlibrary loan.

Post #22 Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:57 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 408
Was liked: 422
GD Posts: 952
Punishing joseki mistakes is one of those things that I WOULDN'T get a book for.

The problem is, if you're categorizing your joseki and then memorizing responses, you'll get none of the excellent educational value from trying out your responses.

Many joseki "refutations" simply show one side to lose a ko threat, or have a slightly disadvantageous position, there are remarkably few joseki that you would see at the SDK level that will confer a major advantage/disadvantage.

It's better to think of a joseki as a framework, where they attack/defend in the joseki shows where the strengths and weaknesses are. Once you know this, if they deviate, you should ask yourself the question "What did the joseki move accomplish? What did this move neglect?"

Now, that doesn't mean "He neglected to protect his group so now I can kill"

It probably means "He neglected to protect his group, so now I have a target for attack"

Learning how to respond to both his deviation and address the weakness is a skill, you just need to practice it.

Last edited by shapenaji on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #23 Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:59 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
In the future if you lose a game where your opponent deviated from joseki, you can post it here in the forums for a review. Probably one of the things your reviewers will mention is whether you can take advantage of the deviation.

Post #24 Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:40 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 8
There is "Tricks in joseki" pocket size book with 80 joseki problems. i think they are good examples and at your level you can get something for thinking about.

Post #25 Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:33 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
CXUD wrote:

I realize this sounds strange but I can't buy paper books, I've adopted an ahimsa policy, which is nearly impossible to follow, but I add each thing piece by piece and books have been added (along with meat and root vegetables ect.) if there's an online version I'll try to buy it that way though.

I find that very interesting, on a philosophical level.
Always wondered what does more harm: cutting trees to produce books or all the industry necessary to give us the same books in electronic format together with the wonderful devices on which we view them. And how can a choice one way or another be argued?

Post #26 Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:02 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Oh it really is nearly impossible to follow. Anything produces harm, even windmill generated power kills birds. I just handle it through step by step measures. Industry such as plastics metals and power generation is brutal on all kinds of eco systems

gowan wrote:
CXUD wrote:

It's admirable to try not to do harm. Does your policy allow you to use library books? If so you might be able to get some go books on interlibrary loan.

Yes it does, I had forgotten about that entirely. Chew mentioned I could get books shipped in from other libraries, hadn't even occurred to me.

shapenaji wrote:
Punishing joseki mistakes is one of those things that I WOULDN'T get a book for.

The problem is, if you're categorizing your joseki and then memorizing responses, you'll get none of the excellent educational value from trying out your responses.

Many joseki "refutations" simply show one side to lose a ko threat, or have a slightly disadvantageous position, there are remarkably few joseki that you would see at the SDK level that will confer a major advantage/disadvantage.

It's better to think of a joseki as a framework, where they attack/defend in the joseki shows where the strengths and weaknesses are. Once you know this, if they deviate, you should ask yourself the question "What did the joseki move accomplish? What did this move neglect?"

Now, that doesn't mean "He neglected to protect his group so now I can kill"

It probably means "He neglected to protect his group, so now I have a target for attack"

Learning how to respond to both his deviation and address the weakness is a learned skill, you just need to practice it.

I think my view of it is less subtle because I get invaded so badly and it looks like total destruction.

jts wrote:
In the future if you lose a game where your opponent deviated from joseki, you can post it here in the forums for a review. Probably one of the things your reviewers will mention is whether you can take advantage of the deviation.

Yeah I'll probably do that, I just like the idea of having all the forms and concepts in my head (in other words I don't like to get beaten badly ;-) ).

Xyiana wrote:
There is "Tricks in joseki" pocket size book with 80 joseki problems. i think they are good examples and at your level you can get something for thinking about.

Cool, I'll add that to the library list.

Post #27 Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:10 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
p2501 wrote:

Xyiana wrote:

personally, I didn't find either of these two books very useful. they may be better aimed at dan level players

Post #28 Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:38 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 14
GD Posts: 2308
OGS: Kabit
xed_over wrote:
personally, I didn't find either of these two books very useful. they may be better aimed at dan level players

I think that's the problem with all of this advice.

CXUD - at 20k, if you know 10 basic joseki you're ahead of the game. Don't worry about joseki until you're at least SDK. Punishing joseki is easily a dan level topic.

For a 20k there are much better ways of study. Play a lot. Play through a lot of pro games (which will get you used to game flow, fuseki, and joseki). Practice very basic tsumego (1 move answers). Read basic books (I'm not sure what's available for beginner ebooks - if available the Elementary Go Series is good, Otake's book on fuseki is good too).

(")_(")      ~ Tarah ~

This post by malweth was liked by: snorri

Post #29 Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:00 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
p2501 wrote:

Yes, a lot of Mingjiu's teaching focuses on this area, including his lectures. As of today, he has 13 audio lectures on internetgoschool.com under the category "the correct way of using basic josekis." See http://internetgoschool.com/lectures.vhtml?tab=5#16.

He takes lots of examples from amateur games, usually low to mid dans because they have mistakes but not everything is a mistake so there some sensible context.

I think this is better than a joseki book for learning practical punishments for joseki mistakes, because the "bad lines" in joseki books often aren't the same mistakes that modern amateurs on, say, KGS make. But Mingjiu sees a lot of the latter from his students.

Post #30 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:54 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
malweth wrote:
xed_over wrote:

I think that's the problem with all of this advice.

CXUD - at 20k, if you know 10 basic joseki you're ahead of the game. Don't worry about joseki until you're at least SDK. Punishing joseki is easily a dan level topic.

For a 20k there are much better ways of study. Play a lot. Play through a lot of pro games (which will get you used to game flow, fuseki, and joseki). Practice very basic tsumego (1 move answers). Read basic books (I'm not sure what's available for beginner ebooks - if available the Elementary Go Series is good, Otake's book on fuseki is good too).

Sorry, I just updated my kgs ranking. I'm not convinced thats my actual level though, I think it's a little weaker than that.

Post #31 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:33 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
A few points:

1. Just because you have never seen a certain move before does not mean it is not joseki
  2. Sometimes, a move that is not normally considered joseki is playable due to unusual circumstances.
  3. For some joseki deviations, the "punishment" is a one or two point gain in the endgame.
  4. Other deviations are inferior only because they leave more aji. Trying to punish them immediately is probably aji-keshi.

Post #32 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:12 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
malweth wrote:
I don't get these kinds of comments. Easy example: 5 kyus should know the following :b5: is bad and the punishment.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ --------------------
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . 5 4 2 . . |
$$ , . . . . . X X . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . 1 . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ , . . . . . , . . . |[/go]

Post #33 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:50 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
hyperpape wrote:
malweth wrote:
I don't get these kinds of comments. Easy example: 5 kyus should know the following :b5: is bad and the punishment.

[go]$$B
$$ --------------------
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . 5 4 2 . . |
$$ , . . . . . X X . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . 1 . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |

Sorry for being off topic, but is this correct? :
[go]$$B
$$ --------------------
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . 5 4 2 6 . |
$$ , . . . . 8 X 3 7 . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . 1 . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |

After white 8 black has failed confining white into the corner and will lose either 5 or 3+7.

Post #34 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:58 am 
Tengen

It's just now occurring to me that there was an in depth discussion of this move here on L19, and that it's actually quite complicated. But that's one punishment.

Maybe a bad example.

Post #35 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:21 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
p2501 wrote:
hyperpape wrote:
malweth wrote:

[go]$$B
$$ --------------------
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . 5 4 2 . . |
$$ , . . . . . X X . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . 1 . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |

Sorry for being off topic, but is this correct? :
[go]$$B
$$ --------------------
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . 5 4 2 6 . |
$$ , . . . . 8 X 3 7 . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . 1 . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |

After white 8 black has failed confining white into the corner and will lose either 5 or 3+7.

There is a lot of material on this on Sensei's Library: http://senseis.xmp.net/?44PointOneSpace ... terception See the section on "Mistakes" towards the bottom of the page. Part of the problem is that the hane at b5 is the "mistake" but it has been played in pro games (see remark at the top of the SL page). The moral of this story is that mistakes might not be mistakes, and punishment of even fairly simple mistakes can be very complicated.

Post #36 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:36 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
hyperpape wrote:
malweth wrote:

[go]$$B
$$ --------------------
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . 5 4 2 . . |
$$ , . . . . . X X . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . 1 . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |

I was kinda hoping someone would bring this up as an example. The thing is, 5 is not always a mistake, and if it is, the punishment is only worth a couple points (assuming black doesn't play the disastrous continuation that 5k's like to play).

Post #37 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:38 am 
Tengen

Fair. Even 5kyus should know the disastrous continuation?

I'd also claim that the people playing it aren't playing it because they have any idea that it's appropriate. It's almost always a mistake when we see it. At best it's an ok play that the player doesn't understand.

Post #38 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:38 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
hyperpape wrote:
Fair. Even 5kyus should know the disastrous continuation?

I'd say it's more a matter of knowing there IS a disastrous continuation. If you know that one is there, then you'll only play it when you have a real reason to prefer it, like 'Oh, I have this stone really close, so it looks like my stones won't be able to be split/cut off too badly (ideally if you can read the followup, but regardless)'. For novices, I think it's better to play the wrong moves with good ideas behind them than to play the right moves without at least thinking about why.

Post #39 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:40 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 192
KGS: Str1fe, Midorisuke
I'm just gonna leave this game between AGA high-dans here...

Post #40 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:24 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
I think Shaddy just blew my mind while making my own point for me...