It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strange Situation
Post #1 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:43 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I was playing someone I play with quite a bit and we had a interesting thing come up in the Corner of the board. I had some black stones forming a border and right inside mine to the wall he had white ones. I had 3 Black stones within his thing of white stones. This made each of our liberties at two, his group and my group of three stones. What Happens? I can't try to kill is group because then I would lose but he can't try to kill me or else he will lose.

Post subject: Re: Strange Situation
Post #2 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:48 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
GoNoob wrote:
I was playing someone I play with quite a bit and we had a interesting thing come up in the Corner of the board. I had some black stones forming a border and right inside mine to the wall he had white ones. I had 3 Black stones within his thing of white stones. This made each of our liberties at two, his group and my group of three stones. What Happens? I can't try to kill is group because then I would lose but he can't try to kill me or else he will lose.

Both groups are alive if the situation doesn't change. Assuming that you are using standard Japanese rules, nobody gets any points in that corner.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:49 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 103
KGS: redundant/silchas
Tygem: redundant
Wbaduk: redundant
DGS: redundant
OGS: redundant
GoNoob wrote:

You seem to have discovered seki. Both groups are alive, and neither player gets any points there.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:02 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Thank you