It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The 1 kyu land grab
Post #21 Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:32 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 4
KGS: Something
I think trying to say that the difference between 1k and 1d is X isn't worthwhile. Some players don't even know the L+1 group at 2d AGA, whereas others know every basic corner and side L&D shape. Different players have different weaknesses at all levels.

Post #22 Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:10 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 353
Was liked: 107
GD Posts: 460
usagi wrote:
..... First, in Ota Yuzo-Shusaku, played August 13th 1843, Ota Yuzo played nikken tobi on the lower right side. This is what I would call a land grab move and as a result Shusaku was able to take the initiative. I am sure the nikken tobi was a strong move but it was clearly not sente in Shusaku's eyes.

If John Power's "Invincible" is correct then I guess you mean the game played on August 13th 1842. Game 6 in the book. Move W62. Indeed a move I wouldn't dream to be wrong.

Post #23 Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:03 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
I don't know. These large moves, or "land grabs" or "moyo moves", are important moves in the opening. Pro's play them constantly. Just look at databases like MasterGo. You'll find a lot of "land grab" moves at the beginning. In fact pro's - nowadays - rather play a large move than enclosing a shimari (e.g. Kobayashi or Chinese Fuseki) which goes against conventional wisdom and shows that a "land grab" move is considered superior to a local strong move by now. Why? Because it builds more pressure on the opponent and more pressure means more chances. So I don't think the "land grab" stuff has anything to do with it. Land grabbing moves are state of the art. The 1d wins against the 1k because he plays more consistent, i.e. he has a few less "blunder games", that's all. I was 1k and 1d KGS...and I played on the same level...but as a 1d I had one or two games less where I "messed it up".