Just click through the games 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Another method 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: How to study pro games
Post #1 Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:35 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
I have always been curious on what is the perfect training schedule. Of course to be sure we would need test participants. That would be too much to hope for, so let's make polls. Let's start with how to study pro games. I do know that other recent thread, but I just prefer seeing polls. I have no answer myself to this question. Memorization take a huge load on time, but it could make one to notice some important stuff. Basically it seems like a question on unconscious learning against conscious.

Post subject: Re: How to study pro games
Post #2 Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:46 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
I don't think that there is any one best way to study pro games. And the best way for the same person may be different at different times.

I generally take about an hour on a game. I have heard that Takemiya takes fifteen minutes per game, but he is looking for new ideas. If studying pro games is your principal way of studying go, then you need to think about what moves were not played, and why. You might then take a day on a game.

For the most part I have studied commented games, and I have tried memorizing complete games. One method of study that I think is quite valuable is guessing the next move. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:07 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Run it twice; look through it once from B's perspective, then again from W's perspective. How you choose to look through it is up to you.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:12 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 5
Universal go server handle: Fadedsun
Bill Spight wrote:
One method of study that I think is quite valuable is guessing the next move. :)

I like to do this as well. I'll play a game out move by move and try to guess what the pro will play next. Sometimes I do guess correctly! It's a lot of fun when you do guess the next move. In my mind, if I can guess a pro's next move, then I'm starting to think in terms of a pro, right :P

Another method I prefer is to go over games with comments, since that can help me understand moves that I wouldn't be able to otherwise on my own.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:53 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 2
Universal go server handle: Katharsys
Online playing schedule: Shooting for twice a week between 20:00-03:00 (UTC -7)
I prefer games with commentary. That way I can understand good/bad moves and why that player chose to make that move at that time. I usually take my board and walk through it physically as well, that's where guessing the next move comes in. Also, I break them up into sections, beginning/middle/end and I will try and look at the whole board position and imagine how I would answer myself. That's about it though!

Most games don't have commentary but go4go.net/ is a great website that has a HUGE database of pro games. They are fun to work with, especially if you prefer a specific player, like how I like to watch Iyama Yuta play. :)