It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 8 to 16 hours of training???
Post #1 Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:11 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hi guys, lets cut to the topic, so i have a tournament coming up in a week and i want to have a training that improve my skills at go because i have so much free time to spare after this tournament im gonna get busy with life again so i want to break my limit and do my very best at this tournament. im about 1-2d kgs, i heard ppl saying train 8 hours a day or even 16 hours a day if you want to improve but 8hours?? Is that only play games or just doing tsumego??

So i want to know What is the most effective way of training if you have time to spare? Well at least i hope can reduce the amount of overplay in my games..

Please help...
Thanks
Cheers!!

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:27 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Quote:
i want to break my limit and do my very best at this tournament.
If we could up one stone in a week, everyone in one year would be past-AG level.

Enjoy and good luck at the tourney. :)

Post subject: Re: 8 to 16 hours of training???
Post #3 Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:26 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Didn't somebody else ask this question not too long ago?

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:25 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 176
Was liked: 488
I don't know the book https://senseis.xmp.net/?TrainLikeAPro but I was told it's a good one. The principle is to do all kinds of problems every day (besides playing/reviewing of course).

Don't expect to gain 1 stone in 1 week...

Post #5 Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:12 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Your goal is to perform well at the tournament and you have one week to prepare. To try and improve at Go itself significantly in that time frame is futile. The best way to use that week is to prepare for the tournament as such.

First of all, make sure you take enough rest. Go to bed at a decent hour for the whole week, so that you arrive fresh at the start. Eat well, cut alcohol and coffee. Go for a walk.

If you train, then simulate tournament conditions. Play live games with the same time settings. Go to a club where people are sitting next to each other, playing Go. Try to win, applying gamesmanship. This means: don't resign too early but try to come back. Don't lose on time. Manage your time well, using also your opponent's thinking time. Remain concentrated and especially take good care of your liberties as they become scarcer by the end of the game.

If you can't simulate the conditions, e.g. no club near, then keep a board next to your computer to get the feel of the stones.

You can inject some tsumego to nourish the brain, but I wouldn't overdo it. Resting is important.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by 5 people: Codexus, Elom, joellercoaster, wind&water, yakcyll

Post #6 Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:55 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
Most of what you learn in a week will come from preparing openings or finding a few key problems in your game you can fix quickly :).

Learning new information, changing your brain and improving your skill are part of the long-term strategy. The best short-term tactics include optimising your health and mental state to make the most of whatever skill you have.

I've heard that cramming is a common mistake when preparing for a performance-based tasks, like go matches or exams. Maybe it's because it takes time for knowledge to assimilate into the brain.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:09 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Thank you for your kind reply guys! Really appreciate it!! :)

Yes i will have enough rest and enjoy the tournament and hopefully perform better than i usually does! :)

Have a blast day guys!

Post #8 Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:03 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
It’s not unheard of for individuals to gain strength quickly in the 1-2 Dan range, though I think it’s rare and it might depends on how long you’ve been at that level. A week of full-time days might be a month or more of ordinary training. A full stone might be more than you can hope for, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get something out of it.

Dieter’s advice about rest is important. 16 hours is way too much to spend on anything and get adequate rest and take care of yourself. Pay attention to your concentration. If you find yourself getting losing focus, it may indicate you need to rest: pushing yourself to the point you can’t concentrate at the tournament will make you worse off.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:59 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 238
Was liked: 60
A disciple came to the famous swordmaster Banzo and asked him how long does he need to became a master.
- I am willing to pass through any hardship if only you will teach me. If I become your devoted servant, how long might it be?
- Oh, maybe 10 years - Banzo relented.
- My father is getting old, and soon I must take care of him - continued Matajuro- If I work far more intensively, how long would it take me?
- Oh, maybe 30 years. - Said Banzo.
- Why is that? Asked Matajuro. - First you say ten and now thirty years. I will undergo any hardship to master this art in the shortest time!
- Well- said Banzo, -in that case you will have to remain with me for 70 years. A man in such a hurry as you are to get results seldom learns quickly.

I often recall this story to me. :blackeye:
http://ashidakim.com/zenkoans/91thetasteofbanzossword.html
Galation ;-)

This post by Galation was liked by 3 people: daal, jonsa, wind&water

Post subject:
Post #10 Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:16 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Galation,

Thanks;
interesting..., an incomplete fable, and a much more reasonable version.

This post by EdLee was liked by: Galation