It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Learning from the computers
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:50 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Yesterday two stories caught my eye. They were both from the world of chess.

Two things surprised me here. That the video stream content these days seems to be of a better quality than the printed format, well sometimes of a better quality, and that AlphaZero actually played the Schliemann with Stockfish. Mainly though, I was struck by how well presented these new ideas
were.

Anyway, let's drop the chess. It seems strange to me that there is still a paucity of good material on the new ideas AlphaGo, et al, are demonstrating. Invisible, the games of AlphaGo is probably the bulkiest work, and Yuan Zhou has published a series of works. Senseis Library is very sparsely populated with updates, which I find a bit sad. The best open and accessible work which I have found has been the series from Dave de Vos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLvg67 ... D1BBp5qjvQ Where do you look to find good explanations of the new lines being played by AI these days? Is it possible to create a curated list we can show to beginners.

Post subject: Re: Learning from the computers
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:03 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 17
Was liked: 23
We are still in the process and we know now that there is a bit of revolution coming in, but still early to write on this, by lack of mastery mostly in my guess.

There are threads in other go forums which summaries much more resources as what you did, not sure what would be appropriate, to give a link here or to copy/paste things others did write.
Until I got idea on what to do, there are not that many english forums around about go... So you should find I guess.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:56 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
In-seong Hwang has about 10 hour-long lectures by now on various aspects of the play of AlphaGo etc. - probably about half on new joseki and half on strategy and local techniques (e.g., attachments and shoulder hits). Most require subscribing to his Yunguseng Dojang online school (not cheap) but he has published a few on YouTube: AlphaGo's four specialties, AlphaGo vs AlphaGo games

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:59 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Viktor Lin's blog has a translation of some WeiqiTV videos on AlphaGo teaching tool new ideas.
https://viktorlingo.com/2018/02/15/top- ... hing-tool/

I've made various threads on this forum such as:
forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15310

And of course there's Michael Redmond's excellent AlphaGo video series for the AGA, which are in the form of game reviews rather than condensed joseki knowledge.
https://www.youtube.com/user/USGOWeb/videos

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Elom

Post #5 Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:17 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Javaness2 wrote:
there is still a paucity of good material on the new ideas AlphaGo, et al

Writing good commentary / analysis takes very much time. I might write something but have been, and still am, busy with even much more time-consuming work about another still much neglected topic (endgame).