It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7k games
Post #1 Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:28 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 176
Was liked: 488
This weekend I couldn't play against Ian because I participated in a tournament. I had interesting matches, but was not very satisfied with the result since I only won one game out of 5, so will probably be demoted to 8k. I recorded three games and reviewed lightly with LeelaZero.

Game 1 was against a 8k. The beginning was correct, but my main mistake was :w62:. I knew the geta didn't work, but I wrongly thought I would get good shape after. Instead I should have sacrificed my three stones. Afterwards I got two weak groups and one of them died. I didn't record a few desperate attempts I made before resigning.

Game 2 was my only victory. :w38: made a few points in gote but should have been used to close the bottom territory. At move 83 my position was not bad, but my invasion :w84: got killed, so I was behind just after that. Somehow, Leelazero says I was way ahead at move 108. After some moves which didn't work like :white: 128, I was behind again, but my opponent made a big mistake at move 209 which cost him the game.

Game 3: I was completely slaughtered. :b23: should have been at C12. :b31: was useless since it didn't allow me to get out. :b43: was a wrong invasion point since it allowed my opponent to launch a splitting attack, M17 would have been better. After that, I was so much behind that I made desperate attempts which didn't work.

I didn't record the last two games because I preferred to concentrate on the game. Game 4 started with a disaster, my opponent killed a group and made a huge territory. I was about to resign but continued nevertheless and managed to catch up a bit. This wasn't enough though, I lost by 12 points. In game 5 I was behind by 10-15 points most of the game and never managed to catch up.

Post subject: Re: 7k games
Post #2 Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:17 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
jlt wrote:
I didn't record the last two games because I preferred to concentrate on the game.

IIRC, Botvinnik recommended recording your move before playing it. (He was talking about recording it on paper, OC.) I tried that, in addition noting which plays I took one minute or longer on. I don't know if it helped, but IMX it didn't hurt. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: yakcyll

Post #3 Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:43 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Recording the move before you play it gives you a bit of seeing the move actually on the board before you play it. I recommend doing this. One benefit could be that you would make fewer blunders.

This post by gowan was liked by: yakcyll

Post #4 Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:58 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
If you record your move before you play it, realise it's a mistake and then play something different, is that gaining an unfair advantage / cheating in a tournament setting? I'd say yes. I believe in chess you record the move on your scoresheet first and then have to play it to avoid touch-move / takeback shenanigans.
Edit: I checked FIDE chess rules, should be after move too.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:04 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 176
Was liked: 488
The EGF tournament rules say:

Quote:
Recording If a recording medium of any kind is used, the move must be completed before it is recorded.

This post by jlt was liked by: yakcyll

Post #6 Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:02 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Uberdude wrote:
If you record your move before you play it, realise it's a mistake and then play something different, is that gaining an unfair advantage / cheating in a tournament setting? I'd say yes. I believe in chess you record the move on your scoresheet first and then have to play it to avoid touch-move / takeback shenanigans.
Edit: I checked FIDE chess rules, should be after move too.

Well, I hasten to say. First, times have changed since Botvinnik's time. Second, if you record your move on paper, even with pencil, it would be obvious that you changed your move after recording it. I certainly never changed my move, once recorded. OC, if the rules say that you have to move first, then record the move, that's what to do. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:57 pm 
jlt wrote:
I didn't record
And quite right, too, for Go is hard enough as it is without having to do other things at the same time, like breathing.

But there is a solution! I can lend you my $5 ebay mobile phone tripod, which you can point at the board and film the whole thing for later study.

Although, thinking about it some more, you need two tripods, one on either side of the board, and a string between them - no, better make that a stiff rod - from which you can suspend your phone camera so it points directly downwards, like NHK do for Saint Michael, so you will have a clear picture.

PS if you cant afford 2x$5, you can instead borrow my head-mounted bicycle headlight and tie the phone onto that so it will film where you are looking. Actually, that would be even better, for then you could play Go with real stones on a real Goban whilst cycling.