It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thermography
Post #61 Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:12 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Gérard TAILLE wrote:
Taking the three moves kosumi, keima and monkey jump is it possible to build a good (non ko) environment for which kosumi is the only correct move?
This is true for the keima and the monkey jump but what about the kosumi?

{snip}BTW, do you have the feeling that such environment exist or do you have some doubts?

In general I am leery of saying that thus and such situation on the go board cannot exist.

To review the current position and plays:

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bc Orthodox play
$$ -----------------
$$ | C C 3 4 1 C O |
$$ | X X 2 5 6 C O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O C C |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

In an ideal environment Black plays the large monkey jump with sente and White replies with the sequence through :w6:. The result has a count of -3 in the marked region at or above temperature 2. (Berlekamp coined the term, orthodox, to refer to correct play in an ideal environment.)

[go]$$Bc Black continuation
$$ -----------------
$$ | . 9 X 7 X 8 O |
$$ | X X O X O . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

Below temperature 2 Black continues with :b7: - :b9: for a net local score of -1.

We can transpose to the orthodox line, starting with the kosumi.

[go]$$Bc Transposition
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 1 2 5 . O |
$$ | X X 4 3 6 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

This transposition avoids the following reply to the large monkey jump.

[go]$$Bc Below temperature 1
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 5 1 6 O |
$$ | X X 2 . 4 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

This line is played by White below temperature 1 to prevent the Black continuation above. The reason is that the result is a local score of -2, 1 point better than the result after sacrificing a stone. The transposition is worse for Black than the orthodox line.

[go]$$Bc Orthodox after kosumi
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . B . . . O |
$$ | X X . 2 . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

However, the sagari, :w2:, is the orthodox reply to the (unorthodox) kosumi. The result is a count of -4 at or above temperature 1. This is 1 point worse for Black, on average, than the orthodox result at temperature 2 or above. But it is 1 point better than the local score if White gets to play locally instead of Black. That fact suggests that this play might be better in some non-ideal environment with a temperature of 2 or above.

[go]$$Bc Keima
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 1 2 . O |
$$ | X X . 4 . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

The keima is another unorthodox play where orthodox play after :b1: results in a local count of -4. It also suggests an environment with temperature 2 or above.

The fact that the keima and the kosumi are incomparable with similar preconditions to playing one of them instead of the large monkey jump makes me think that there is probably a non-ko environment in which the kosumi dominates the other two.

I really had not thought about that question much before now. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #62 Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:23 pm 
Honinbo

Gérard TAILLE wrote:
Oops the notation I used is not correct because it is not clear when I am reasonning one two boards and when I switch to one board. As a a consequence I see that what I wrote is quite unclear.
Let me take some time to rephrase all my analysis before rediscussing.

Using a second board is not necessary. It is only a convenience to indicate that the two positions are independent.

In the past, discussions about difference games on a single board have run into difficulties because truly independent positions were not constructed. Using two boards makes the construction easy. :)

In the board I used as illustration, for instance, I did not take the time to construct independently living groups, as I technically should have. I intended the positions to be understood as independent, given the prior discussion between us. Fortunately you understood my intent. :)

Please do not get sidetracked by the question of two boards or one. Independence and the lack of a ko fight are the criteria.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #63 Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:29 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 57
Bill Spight wrote:
Gérard TAILLE wrote:
Oops the notation I used is not correct because it is not clear when I am reasonning one two boards and when I switch to one board. As a a consequence I see that what I wrote is quite unclear.

Using a second board is not necessary. It is only a convenience to indicate that the two positions are independent.

In the past, discussions about difference games on a single board have run into difficulties because truly independent positions were not constructed. Using two boards makes the construction easy. :)

In the board I used as illustration, for instance, I did not take the time to construct independently living groups, as I technically should have. I intended the positions to be understood as independent, given the prior discussion between us. Fortunately you understood my intent. :)

Please do not get sidetracked by the question of two boards or one. Independence and the lack of a ko fight are the criteria.

OK Bill I will try to review my analysis using only one board and I will come back for your precious comments! Thank you very much indeed!

Post #64 Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:20 pm 
Lives in sente

Bill Spight wrote:
Gérard TAILLE wrote:

Here is my updated analysis using only one board:

Let's consider two positions A et B surrounded by an environment E with "good" carateristics (independancy? non-ko? ...)
Assume for example that, black to play, the optimum result of a game beginning from A+E is a win for black by say 10 points
Assume also that, black to play, the optimum result of a game beginning from B+E is a win for black by say 7 points
Let's call B' the mirror position of position B
The amazing result of theory is the following: black to play will wins the game A+B' by at least 3 points !!!

Let's us try to prove this "theorem":
Let's call E' the mirror position of position E and put on the board the four areas A, B', E, E'
Add on this board a very small area D made of one dame point.
Because that cannot penalise white, you can always impose to white to avoid using the D region except maybe at the very last move of the game.
First of all it is easy for black to win this new game by exactly 3 points by means of the following strategy:
Black begins by playing in A or E exactly as if she where playing a game with only the area A and E.
From this point till the end of the game the strategy of black is the following:
if white plays a move in A or E, black answers also in A or E exactly as if black were playing a game with only the area A and E on the board
if white plays a move in B' or E', black answers also in B' or E' exactly as if black were playing a game with only the area B' and E' on the board
in case white plays the last move in region A+E or in region B'+E', black answers with a move in D.
With this strategy is is clear that black will win the game by exactly 3 points.

Of course it may happen that this winning strategy for black is not the best result for black. That means that, by following the real best strategy, black may win by more than 3 points, say for example 5 points.

At that point comes the assumption that all areas (A, B', E, E', D) have good caracteristics allowing the following simplification:
The above game is made of the five areas A, B', E, E' and D. When you look at these five areas you see in particular the areas E and E' which look like perfect miai areas.
Here, we discover the basic assumption of all the theory:
Because E and E' are perfect miai areas, if black can win the game A+B'+E+E'+D by 5 points then, providing good independance between the five areas, we can completly ignore the presence of the two areas E and E' => black wins the game A+B'+D by again 5 points. In addition you can now ignore also the dame in D => black wins the game A+B' by again 5 points.

As a conclusion we have the equation
minMax(A-B) >= minMax(A+E) - minMax(B+E)

Is it now understandable and correct Bill?

Post #65 Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:15 pm 
Honinbo

Gérard TAILLE wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Gérard TAILLE wrote:

Here is my updated analysis using only one board:

Let's consider two positions A et B surrounded by an environment E with "good" carateristics (independancy? non-ko? ...)
Assume for example that, black to play, the optimum result of a game beginning from A+E is a win for black by say 10 points
Assume also that, black to play, the optimum result of a game beginning from B+E is a win for black by say 7 points
Let's call B' the mirror position of position B
The amazing result of theory is the following: black to play will wins the game A+B' by at least 3 points !!!

Let's us try to prove this "theorem":
Let's call E' the mirror position of position E and put on the board the four areas A, B', E, E'
Add on this board a very small area D made of one dame point.
Because that cannot penalise white, you can always impose to white to avoid using the D region except maybe at the very last move of the game.

Given the condition that E is a combinatorial game, you can exclude E + E' from the play without affecting the von Neumann game. And the dame will not affect the final score, either. So you can ignore it, as well. (Dame actually matter in CGT, but that's a nicety we can ignore when considering the von Neumann game. ;))

You can ignore E, E', and D in the von Neumann game, and doing so will simplify your task and your argument.

Edit: I mean the von Neumann game A - B. OC, E may well affect the games A + E and B + E.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #66 Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:41 am 
Honinbo

To return to the main theme

[go]$$B
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . . . . . O |
$$ | X X . . . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

For the region of play, here is the thermograph.
Attachment:
gerardTG.png
gerardTG.png [ 2.74 KiB | Viewed 17835 times ]

Edit: The thermograph is in error. See corrected thermograph in #70. My apologies. I have to stop posting late at night. :(

In an actual game, it is not too hard to find the count, -3, and the gain of the reverse sente, 4, as well as the bottom part of the right wall. The bottom part of the left wall, which reflects different strategies, is no so obvious, and might well be skipped in actual play. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post #67 Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:51 am 
Honinbo

A brief explanation of the thermograph

The mast

Above temperature 4 the mast rises vertically at count -3. Up to temperature 17½ it is colored blue, which indicates that Black can play the monkey jump with sente, threatening to kill the White group. Above that the mast is black, indicating that neither player will play locally. (Not that in actual play a go board will have anything like an ideal environment with a temperature that high. ;))

[go]$$Bc Sente
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 4 1 . O |
$$ | X X 2 5 6 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

The right wall

The right wall is red, indicating that White plays first. Between temperature 4 and 1 White to play plays the reverse sente.

[go]$$Wc Reverse sente
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . . . . . O |
$$ | X X 1 . . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

At or below temperature 1 Black continues with the hanetsugi, for a local score of -6.

[go]$$Wc Black gains 1 pt.
$$ -----------------
$$ | . 4 2 3 . . O |
$$ | X X W . . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

The left wall

Above temperature 2 Black plays the sente in the diagram above. Between temperature 2 and temperature 1⅓ (Correction: temperature 1) Black continues and saves her two stones, for a local score of -1.

[go]$$Bc Black saves her stones
$$ -----------------
$$ | . 9 B 7 B 8 O |
$$ | X X W B W . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

Edit: Correction.

[go]$$Bc White variation
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 5 1 6 O |
$$ | X X 2 . 4 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

This is orthodox play at or below temperature 1.

The discussion below is incorrect, the basis for the incorrect thermograph.

Between temperature 1⅓ and ⅚ White replies differently to the monkey jump. The local count is -2⅓, ⅔ point worse, on average, than the sacrifice above, but below temperature 1⅓ it is better than letting Black save her two stones, as above.

[go]$$Bc Different White reply
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 . 1 4 O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

After Black plays elsewhere White has the following sente.

[go]$$Wc White sente
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . B 1 B W O |
$$ | X X 2 . W . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

After :b2: the local temperature has dropped to ⅔.

Between temperature ⅚ and ½ Black continues and saves her single stone.

[go]$$Bc Black saves one stone
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . B 5 B W O |
$$ | X X . . W . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

The count is -1½.

At or below temperature ½ White continues, holding Black to 1 point in the corner.

[go]$$Bc White gains ½ pt.
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . B B B W O |
$$ | X X 6 . W . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

The local score is -2.

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Gérard TAILLE

Post #68 Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:45 am 
Honinbo

Now let's look at the thermograph for this position

[go]$$Bc keima best move
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . . . . . O |
$$ | X X . . . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X X X X X O |
$$ | . X . O O . O |
$$ -----------------[/go]

Attachment:
gerardTG01.png
gerardTG01.png [ 2.71 KiB | Viewed 17801 times ]

Explanation of the thermograph

The mast

With the addition of the position at the bottom the count has shifted 2½ points to the left, to -½.

The right wall

[go]$$Wc Reverse sente
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . . . . . O |
$$ | X X 1 . . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X X X X X O |
$$ | . X . O O . O |

Between temperature 4 and temperature 2½ White plays the reverse sente to a count of -4½.

[go]$$Wc Black continues
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . . . . . O |
$$ | X X W . . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X X X X X O |
$$ | . X . O O 2 O |

Between temperature 2½ and temperature 1 Black continues and captures the two White stones one the bottom side, for a count of -2.

[go]$$Wc White continues
$$ -----------------
$$ | . 3 . . . . O |
$$ | X X W . . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X X X X X O |
$$ | . X . O O B O |

At or below temperature 1 White gains one point with the hane, :w3:. The local count is -3.

The left wall

[go]$$Bc Monkey jump with sente
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 4 1 . O |
$$ | X X 2 5 6 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X X X X X O |
$$ | . X . O O . O |

Above temperature 2½ Black plays the monkey jump with sente.

[go]$$Bc Black continues
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . B . B . O |
$$ | X X W B W . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X X X X X O |
$$ | . X . O O 7 O |

Between temperature 2½ and temperature 2 Black continues and takes the two White stones on the bottom side, for a local count of +2.

[go]$$Bc White continues
$$ -----------------
$$ | . 9 B 0 B 8 O |
$$ | X X W B W . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X X X X X O |
$$ | . X . O O B O |

Between temperature 2 and temperature 1 White will continue and capture two Black stones on the top side, for a count of 0. We expect :b9: and :w10: to be played later.

[go]$$Bc keima best move
$$ -----------------
$$ | . 7 3 1 2 . O |
$$ | X X 6 4 . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X X X X X O |
$$ | . X . O O 5 O |

At or below temperature 1 Black starts with the keima to keep sente and capture the two White stones on the bottom side. White then takes his sente with :w6:. The local score is +1.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #69 Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:04 am 
Lives in sente

Bill Spight wrote:
Between temperature 1⅓ and ⅚ White replies differently to the monkey jump. The local count is -2⅓, ⅔ point worse, on average, than the sacrifice above, but below temperature 1⅓ it is better than letting Black save her two stones, as above.

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 . 1 4 O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

[go]$$Wc White sente
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . B 1 B W O |
$$ | X X 2 . W . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

After some time understanding your analysis I have now some doubts about your left wall at the temperature:
5/6 <= temperature <= 1

At such temperature, instead of your sequence above, isn't better to choose the following one ?

[go]$$Bc Different Black reply
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 5 3 1 6 O |
$$ | X X 4 . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

Post #70 Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:31 am 
Honinbo

Gérard TAILLE wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 . 1 4 O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

[go]$$Wc White sente
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . B 1 B W O |
$$ | X X 2 . W . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

After some time understanding your analysis I have now some doubts about your left wall at the temperature:
5/6 <= temperature <= 1

At such temperature, instead of your sequence above, isn't better to choose the following one ?

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 5 3 1 6 O |
$$ | X X 4 . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

You are right. :salute:

That was my original impression, which is why I suggested this sequence way back when.

[go]$$Bc Different White sente
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 5 1 6 O |
$$ | X X 2 . 4 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

But when I went to draw the thermograph last night, I miscounted the next position as -2 instead of -1. :oops:

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 7 3 1 4 O |
$$ | X X 5 6 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

So the thermograph is simpler. :)

Attachments:
gerardTG.png
gerardTG.png [ 2.71 KiB | Viewed 17777 times ]

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #71 Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:50 pm 
Lives in sente

I am not sure the thermograph is simplier Bill,

My view is the following:

if 1⅓ <= temperature <= 1 then black plays:
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 . 1 4 O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

but if 1 >= temperature >= ⅚ then black plays:
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 5 3 1 6 O |
$$ | X X 4 . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

In your new thermograph I believe you didn't take into account the first diagram above.

Post #72 Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:38 pm 
Honinbo

Gérard TAILLE wrote:

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 . 1 4 O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 5 3 1 6 O |
$$ | X X 4 . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

In your new thermograph I believe you didn't take into account the first diagram above.

Since both sequences started from the same position and each sequence has an even number of alternating plays, we can compare them with a difference game. :)

[go]$$Bc Sequence A - Sequence B
$$ --------------------------------
$$ | . . X X X O O | X X O . O . . |
$$ | X X O . O . O | X . X . . O O |
$$ | . X O O O O O | X X X X X O . |
$$ | . X X X O . . | . . X O O O . |
$$ | . . . X O O O | X X X O . . . |
$$ | . . . X X X X | O O O O . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . | . . . . . . . |
$$ --------------------------------[/go]

[go]$$Bc Sequence A - Sequence B, Black first
$$ | . . X X X O O | X X O 1 O . . |
$$ | X X O . O . O | X . X 3 2 O O |

Black first wins by 1 pt.

[go]$$Wc Sequence A - Sequence B, White first
$$ | . . X X X O O | X X W 2 O . . |
$$ | X X O . O . O | X . X 3 1 O O |

:w4: connects the ko for jigo.

If :w1: is at 2, :b2: at 1 makes a mirror position and jigo. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #73 Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:50 pm 
Lives in sente

Bill Spight wrote:
Gérard TAILLE wrote:

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 . 1 4 O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 5 3 1 6 O |
$$ | X X 4 . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

Since both sequences started from the same position and each sequence has an even number of alternating plays, we can compare them with a difference game. :)

Jigo.

It seems you don't see my point:

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 . 1 4 O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

and not
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 7 3 1 4 O |
$$ | X X 5 6 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

Post #74 Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:42 pm 
Honinbo

Gérard TAILLE wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Gérard TAILLE wrote:

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 . 1 4 O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 5 3 1 6 O |
$$ | X X 4 . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

Jigo.

It seems you don't see my point:

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 . 1 4 O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

and not
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 7 3 1 4 O |
$$ | X X 5 6 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 7 3 1 4 O |
$$ | X X 5 6 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

:w4: raises the local temperature to 2, as I recall, and gets a local score of -1 in sente (gote for Black).

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 5 3 1 6 O |
$$ | X X 4 . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

In this diagram :w4: gets a local score of -2 in gote (sente for Black).

$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 . 1 4 O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

In this diagram White gets a count of -2⅓ in gote, which is worse for Black than either other diagram.

What is the scaffold for :b3: as the extension? White decides how to reply, so it is this:

min(-2, -1-t).

Thus it is a vertical line below temperature 1, and a line inclined upwards to the right at 45° above temperature 1. These are the lines of the left wall of the corrected thermograph.

What is the scaffold for :b3: as the jump? Between temperature 1⅓ and temperature ⅚ it is a vertical line at -2⅓, which is worse for Black than both -2 and -1-t, except at temperature 1⅓, where the two scaffolds touch.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #75 Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:12 pm 
Honinbo

Now how about the thermograph for this position?

[go]$$Bc
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . . . . . O |
$$ | X X . . . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O X X X O |
$$ | . X O O O . O |

Attachment:
gerardTG04.png
gerardTG04.png [ 3.13 KiB | Viewed 17542 times ]

Edit: Corrected thermograph.

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #76 Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:28 am 
Honinbo

How about this one?

[go]$$Bc
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . . . . . O |
$$ | X X . . . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . X . X O O O |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X O O . O |

Attachment:
gerardTG00.png
gerardTG00.png [ 2.69 KiB | Viewed 17696 times ]

[go]$$Bc
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 3 4 1 . O |
$$ | X X 2 5 6 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . X . X O O O |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X O O . O |

At this point, the top and bottom are strictly miai, simple gote that gain 2 points. Each player gains 2 points for net 0 gain. Thus the straight vertical line at a count of -1 down to temperature 1.

[go]$$Bc
$$ -----------------
$$ | . 7 3 1 2 . O |
$$ | X X 6 4 . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . X . X O O O |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X O O 5 O |

At or below temperature 1, however, Black plays the keima to keep sente at the cost of 1 point on the top, but then is able to gain 2 points on the bottom, for a net gain of 1 point. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #77 Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:30 pm 
Lives in sente

It is not that easy but at least I believe I undertood your thermographs in your last posts.

BTW I continue to fail finding an environment in which kosumi is better than both keima and monkey jump.
[go]$$B
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 1 2 . . O |
$$ | X X a b . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

It seems that if this environment exists then after :b1: if :w2: black should play in the environment and depending on white answer, black chooses "a" or "b" accordingly (but I am not completly sure of that fact!)

Post #78 Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:39 pm 
Lives in sente

[go]$$B
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . . . . . O |
$$ | X X . . . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

Concerning the building of the left wall in the position above, is it true that beginning with

[go]$$B
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . . . 1 . O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

is correct (but not the only solution) at all temperatures?

Post #79 Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:31 pm 
Honinbo

Gérard TAILLE wrote:
It is not that easy but at least I believe I undertood your thermographs in your last posts.

BTW I continue to fail finding an environment in which kosumi is better than both keima and monkey jump.

Yeah, me too. Not that I have tried hard. It appears that for the keima and the kosumi to be in the running, the best follow-up to the monkey jump needs to be in the environment. Then it seems like keima and the kosumi come into play only below temperature 1. We can prove stuff about play at that level, so maybe there is a proof that the kosumi cannot be dominant in non-ko environments. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #80 Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:42 pm 
Honinbo

Gérard TAILLE wrote:
[go]$$B
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . . . . . O |
$$ | X X . . . . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

Concerning the building of the left wall in the position above, is it true that beginning with

[go]$$B
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . . . 1 . O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

is correct (but not the only solution) at all temperatures?

You surely need to work out the scaffold for it. :)

Edit: Anyway, above temperature 1 the play goes like this.

[go]$$Bc
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . . 3 1 4 O |
$$ | X X . . 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

This leaves a gote at temperature 2. The local count is -3.

Between temperature 2 and temperature 1 Black continues, saving her stones.

[go]$$Bc
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . 7 3 1 4 O |
$$ | X X 5 6 2 . O |
$$ | . X O O O O O |
$$ | . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . X X X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . |
$$ ----------------[/go]

The local score is -1. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next