It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Those damn improvement roadblocks, and free teaching
Post #41 Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:28 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
Just for the record: strong 2k/weak 1k both offering and looking for teaching games

Post #42 Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:20 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
I like the idea of having online teaching games on KGS. However, I do not like the idea of having a list of students and teachers and having to agree on appointments via PMs. I think this is just to much hassle.

I also agree that it is much nicer to do this within the L19 community than doing it in the KTL room.

But there was a GoDiscussions room on KGS a while ago. Is it still there? Do we have an L19 room instead now?

We could just use that room and whoever likes to teach or receive teaching just puts a game up with info 'Want Teaching' or 'Willing to Teach', or such. For me, that would be the best solution.

And then it would be very nice if we could have a thread here in the forum where people could just enter the teaching game they just played. This would be nice to keep track of the whole thing. At the beginning of this thread there should be a list which is maintained by someone :) . This list would also include the L19 and KGS handles and time of play. So people could even look up the teaching game records on KGS.

Post #43 Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
Hm, instead of a list of teaching games that happened at the beginning of a thread, it would be even easier to omit that and give a direct link to the SGF file on KGS with each post in the thread. That should suffice.

The only moderation effort for the thread would then be to make sure that only reports of teaching games that happened end up in the thread, no other chatter. Maybe a few short remarks. If someone feels the need for some explanations or diagrams, those could be put into HIDE tags.

So a post in this thread could look like this:

Teacher: {L19 handle} {Rank} - Student: {L19 handle} {Rank}

{Link to SGF file on KGS}

{optional short comment}

{optional lengthier comments in HIDE tags}

I think it would be advisable to have a standard format for the thread entries to allow for quick browsing.

Post #44 Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:36 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
As always, I love to teach.

Still in a transitional period in life, so I'm probably not available until February, but I will teach anyone who's interested ... beginner to 6k definitely welcome, and if you're stronger (say, from 2k to 5k) we can always do an even game plus a discussion afterwards. :D

As to a Teaching Ladder, perhaps just a list of teachers, something concerning their availability (Timezone and regular Go hours, if any), their strength, and their contact info ... and maybe a blurb about themselves. Teaching games can be arranged by the students with whatever teacher they wish, and the games can be played in the L19 room.

Post #45 Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
IGS: Exologist
Kaya handle: Exologist
Wow, that's pretty nice to have the free teaching. I've done quite a bit of teaching myself with people that have never played the game before and always trying to help people out if I manage to beat them at the club. I haven't considered teaching online, but that might be a good idea, although I'm not really that high of a level yet (still studying and reading!).

Only problem is I have yet to manage a regular game with anyone here, so I don't know how you could organize a teaching system.

Post #46 Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:54 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Topazg gave me a nice teaching game last week. Thanks again! We played the game with Skype on and discussed situations in the game as they arose. Sort of like a live Malkovitch with no hide tags. I quickly maneuvered myself into a hopeless position, and afterwards Topazg pointed out three memorable errors.

I enjoyed the game and the format, and in turn would like to offer a similar teaching game to any interested DDK. Cheers!

This post by daal was liked by: topazg

Post #47 Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:53 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
I'd also be happy to play with any DDKs (maybe... 12k or under? I can't imagine that I could really help anyone stronger than that).