It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rank obsession
Post #21 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:27 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
Toge wrote:
- What I find fascinating is how little one's attitude actually matters. Over the past year my rank has been somewhere between 1.5k - 0.5k . I've played on all days of week, all times of day, all states of mind. If you'd wake me up at night, I'd probably still throw a game at 1k level. There's no use trying to cheat the odds. Only playing at the very best condition and circumstances might give you another half a stone in strength, but conditions and states of mind are ephemeral. True progress is elsewhere.

Okay, but at some point between the first stone (when the odds of each player winning are .5) and the last stone (when the odds of one player winning is 1, and the other 0), something happens. Trying to track the probability as it changes is unpredictable and exciting, especially when the changes in the probability of one player's victory are changing as a result of amazing skill, rather than silly blunders.

Post #22 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:49 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
@gowan I was badly paraphrasing bantari, who actually said "primal".

Post #23 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:55 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
hyperpape wrote:

I feel my ignorance in go when I watch a game of professionals, or much stronger players. I do not feel my ignorance when I play people of my own strength or thereabouts. At least I don't feel it that acutely.

But when I wish to learn and become stronger, I think about wanting to understand the professional games that I watch.

P.S. Wanting people to not compete and indulge primitive notions of superiority isn't political correctness, it's hippy-dippy BS. Perhaps you dislike both, but they're very different things. ;-)

1. You actually give a pretty intelligent and good reason for wanting to improve - and one that I can wholeheartedly agree with. To understand better and thus enjoy more the games of stronger players. Probably the best reason I have ever heard.

2. I do not want people to 'not compete and indulge'. I guess what I am trying to do is to convince people to stop hiding behind cheap pretense and platitude. If beating others and leaving them weeping in the dust is what you enjoy - more power to you! If overtaking those once stronger than you rocks your boat - great, keep doing it! If you derive some silly pride from the rank number by your name - go fer it, even if I find that sad! Just don't call it 'love of learning/improvement'. And don't expect me to bow to you just because your number is bigger than my number, lol. ;)

Post #24 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:10 pm 
Gosei

jts wrote:
So if your question is "Would you enjoy spending lots of time studying, and never learning anything?" I would answer, "No, that would be ridiculously frustrating." But that can't get you to the conclusion that people don't enjoy learning!

Well, let me try to explain, since what you say is not really what I mean. First, some example questions:

1. Would you enjoy studying a joseki if you knew you will never have a chance to play it or anything like it?
2. More extreme - would you enjoy studying Go if you knew nobody else in the whole world will ever play it?
3. Or maybe - would you enjoy studying Go if you knew that you will never win a single game?
4. For your own example - Would you enjoy learning a formula if you knew it does not come up on the test and you will never use it?

My point is that for most people, learning is the means to achieve something, not the goal in itself. For most Go players, learning and studying is the means to beating other people. They think 'if I study hard and learn enough, i can beat him!' And so they learn and they study, and at the end they hope for the payoff - beating 'him'. If there was no 'him', most of us would not spend much time learning, we would be much weaker, and we would mostly play fun games rather than sweating over Go books.

So, what I was trying to say, is that I think that most of us do not really enjoy learning for the sake of learning itself.
All we want is to 'beat the sucker that clobbered us in that game last time' or some variation thereof.
And learning is the price we are willing to pay to get there.
And there is nothing really wrong with that.

But then we go all noble and PC and say 'we enjoy learning'.
Because saying 'we are mad at that guy and want to teach him a lesson and beat him good' would be somehow... cheap.

PS>
Present company excluded, of course.
Anyhow - this is what I was trying to say, more or less. Sorry for not making it more clear.

Post #25 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:12 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
There are a few topics in this thread, it seems, so I will only comment on one said topic.

Rank is important to me because it represents my chances of winning against a given person. Winning against a given person is important to me, because that is, to me, the objective of the game. Hence, if I improve myself to have a higher rank, I can win against more people, and be better at achieving the objective of the game.

If you don't play to win, you are just putting stones on the board. Monkeys can do that, too, but I doubt they get the same type of enjoyment from go as I do.

Post #26 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:17 pm 
Honinbo

Bantari wrote:
Because saying 'we are mad at that guy and want to teach him a lesson and beat him good' would be somehow... cheap.

I would say that I enjoy learning for a purpose: to achieve the objective of the game. That is, to win.

I suppose there is also some satisfaction to solving go problems in the same way that I get satisfaction from solving puzzles, for example. When you solve a puzzle, you feel some sort of accomplishment, and it feels nice.

I guess I could compare it to fishing. I like fishing if I catch a fish. I don't like sitting with a line in the water if I have no hope of catching everything. Without the hope of catching the fish, I don't get much satisfaction.

I guess it's OK if I ultimately don't catch a fish, but at least I need hope that I could catch one.

I guess with go, it's OK if I ultimately don't beat my opponents, but at least I want to have hope that I could be able to.

This post by Kirby was liked by: daal

Post #27 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:26 pm 
Gosei

Kirby wrote:
There are a few topics in this thread, it seems, so I will only comment on one said topic.

Rank is important to me because it represents my chances of winning against a given person. Winning against a given person is important to me, because that is, to me, the objective of the game. Hence, if I improve myself to have a higher rank, I can win against more people, and be better at achieving the objective of the game.

If you don't play to win, you are just putting stones on the board. Monkeys can do that, too, but I doubt they get the same type of enjoyment from go as I do.

Unless you play against the same people, regarding of your rank, this is flawed.
In real life, you usually play within a group of people with approximately the same rank as you. Thus your chances of winning each given game are approximately the same - about 50%. And this holds the same if you are 10k or 5d.

I assume what you are trying to say is that: rank is important for determining which group of people I should be part of and playing against.
Which i agree on. Rank is also important in determining handicap within this group.
But then rank is relative to this group only!
1d here can be 5k there and vice versa.

If you were literal in what you wrote, than such situation only existed in the past, when you were mostly confined within the small group of your fellow club players, and advancing in rank could really be a measure of how many people you can beat and how many can beat you. In other words - how many games a meeting you can expect to bring home. But in the age of internet and global village - this all looses its meaning.

Post #28 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:34 pm 
Honinbo

Well, the human population is finite, and fewer people exist at higher ranks (presumably).

So if I am a higher rank, I will have a better chance of beating a given individual, if his rank is unknown.

Post #29 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:28 pm 
Gosei

Kirby wrote:
Well, the human population is finite, and fewer people exist at higher ranks (presumably).

So if I am a higher rank, I will have a better chance of beating a given individual, if his rank is unknown.

Chances are - if you know the rules, you can already beat 99.9% of the planet's population.
Which pretty much mean 'any random person off of the street with the rank unknown'.

How much more hair do you wish to split? ;)

Post #30 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:51 pm 
Oza

Bantari wrote:
Kirby wrote:

Chances are - if you know the rules, you can already beat 99.9% of the planet's population.
Which pretty much mean 'any random person off of the street with the rank unknown'.

How much more hair do you wish to split? ;)

I think this is actually the strongest argument against your claim that the only component of go that all, or most people enjoy is knowing that they can clobber other people. I was most confident in my go abilities the day my dad taught me the rules, because I had figured out how ladders worked and he hadn't. Every improvement in my strength since then has further humbled me. As the percentage of the human population that I could beat rises, my feeling that I can easily crush other people slowly erodes. But that doesn't mean that I've been enjoying Go less and less. Rather the reverse, actually.

(To be technical, I think that as most people get stronger at something - doesn't have to be Go - the average ability of the set of people "who matter," the ones over whom a victory would be rewarding, rises faster than one's own ability.)

And I think I'm in the majority here. I'm not claiming that crushing people isn't fun; and it takes all types, so presumably there have been many people who enjoy Go exclusively to crush people (or because they make money off of it, or because it's a way to socialize, or as a non-negotiable part of social identity). But why is it that teaching games with stronger players (the stronger the better!) are so sought after, while playing with beginners is looked upon as a duty and an imposition? Why aren't we all sandbagging? On your theory, it's because we're really stupid and bad at getting what we want. On my theory, it's because a lot of players enjoy the intellectual aspects of the game more than victory for its own sake.

Post #31 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:22 pm 
Oza

Bantari wrote:
jts wrote:
So if your question is "Would you enjoy spending lots of time studying, and never learning anything?" I would answer, "No, that would be ridiculously frustrating." But that can't get you to the conclusion that people don't enjoy learning!

Well, let me try to explain, since what you say is not really what I mean. First, some example questions:

1. Would you enjoy studying a joseki if you knew you will never have a chance to play it or anything like it?

It's a little unclear what you have in mind (by definition, joseki occur regularly), but I think I can definitely say yes. One of the things that I enjoy most in studying joseki is understanding the inferior sequences that make the main line a joseki. That's the moment at which I "get" the joseki. If you'll let me use intellect as a verb, it's frequently the lines which I expect to never see in a game that allow me to intellect the joseki. And that's enjoyable.

Two more related points:
I find the device of "would you enjoy learning about X if X were impossible?" to be sophistical, because I think that in general you can't learn about things that are impossible. To learn about something either you have to interact with it, or the person you're learning from has to have interacted with it, or possibly both. Otherwise trying to think about this impossible, inconceivable, non-existent thing would be gears whirring in thin air, their teeth failing to connect.

On a tangent; there are certain tesuji and myoushu which I suspect I will never, ever be strong enough to spot in a game. Nonetheless, I think I may eventually be strong enough to understand them somewhat, and when I am, I suspect I'll enjoy studying them. And I think a lot of other players feel the same way.

Bantari wrote:
2. More extreme - would you enjoy studying Go if you knew nobody else in the whole world will ever play it?

I would still enjoy it, but not as much - in the same way I enjoy logic puzzles in general.

Another note:
My answer is connected to the point I made above about the nature of learning. Could I enjoy Go if no one else played Go? Could I enjoy reading if I was the only literate person who had ever existed? Could I enjoy skiing if I were the only person to ever ski? Of course, but only to a very limited extent. If there were no other Go players, I never would have advanced beyond a very primitive understanding of the game. If there were no other literate people, the great works of literature would never have been written. If I were the only skier, I would probably have stopped at a nice, easy wedge over a nearly-flat surface. I'm mixing together several different principles here, but what binds them is that it's hard to learn from yourself, and the less you learn, the less enjoyable an ability is.

Bantari wrote:
3. Or maybe - would you enjoy studying Go if you knew that you will never win a single game?

Yes. That sounds amazing. Like if I got the collective membership of the Nihon Kiin as my personal Go tutors, on the condition that we only ever played even games? Sign me up.

Yet another note:
As with many of your examples, Bantari, this one sounds a little weird, and it's hard to know with certainty how I would feel. But I have some experience with this - I can't remember the last time that I enjoyed winning a squash match. All of my regular squash partners are much, much better than I am... but I can put up enough of a fight that it's really fun. I can easily imagine I'll lose every match I play this year, but I'll still enjoy playing, or even just practicing by myself.

Bantari wrote:
4. For your own example - Would you enjoy learning a formula if you knew it does not come up on the test and you will never use it?

Yes, of course. This happens all the time, actually - I spend more time studying things that are intellectually stimulating than what I actually expect to show up on a test. This may be a personality quirk of mine, but I think it's quite common, as quirks go, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's especially common among Go players.

Bantari wrote:
My point is that for most people, learning is the means to achieve something, not the goal in itself.

Again, it depends who and what. Some people just dislike learning, period. Other people really enjoy it. With most (all?) activities, there are people who just want to know enough to get by, and people who become experts for the sake of expertise. Learning to drive - that's a good candidate for "means to an end". Driving is good for getting places, so learning to drive is good for getting places. Learning to play Go is good for X because playing Go is good for X... can you fill in the blank?

Bantari wrote:
For most Go players, learning and studying is are the means to beating other people.

Ah, okay, X={beating people}. I think I mentioned why this is unlikely in my previous post. It's grossly inconsistent with the way Go players actually behave, what they actually want, what they avoid...

Bantari wrote:
They think 'if I study hard and learn enough, i can beat him!' And so they learn and they study, and at the end they hope for the payoff - beating 'him'. If there was no 'him', most of us would not spend much time learning, we would be much weaker, and we would mostly play fun games rather than sweating over Go books.

Are you projecting? I would love to hear the story of the man who inspired you to study Go, and the final showdown in which the padawan became the master. But there has never been a specific person that I've wanted to beat at Go. I fear that here our personal experiences are giving us hugely different views of the psychology of the average Go player.

Self-indulgent reasons to think my personal experience is more widespread:
I think we all know that there's a sort of social hierarchy of victory. If there's a "him" who beats you at something, you don't have to beat him at the same activity to "beat" him. Like if he beats you for the last slot on the math team, you could sleep with his girlfriend. Bam, headshot! So we are looking at this population of people: (i) They play go games with other people. (ii) They lose to "him," and take the loss personally; "Vengeance shall be mine!" (iii) They decide that the best way to triumph over the person in question is... to beat him at Go. (iv) Then we need to integrate this population of people over the probability that their desire for vengeance, and certainty that Go is the correct arena for vengeance, are strong enough to motivate a certain number of hours of studying. (And remember - these people don't enjoy studying. It makes them sweat. I suggest they get iPads. I've been sweating much less during Go-study since I stopped flipping pages.)

Okay, so how many cumulative hours of Go-study do we have, after considering (i)-(iv)? What percentage of total hours of Go-study is it? I would guess very little, just because the chain of necessary events is so outlandish.

Bantari wrote:
So, what I was trying to say, is that I think that most of us do not really enjoy learning for the sake of learning itself.
All we want is to 'beat the sucker that clobbered us in that game last time' or some variation thereof.
And learning is the price we are willing to pay to get there.
And there is nothing really wrong with that.

I think I understand the conclusion you want to draw just fine. It was your initial argument for it that was too cute for me. ;)

Bantari wrote:

That's the second time you've called enjoying learning (or claiming to) "PC". What exactly does "PC" mean to you?

I really find it difficult to believe that you've ever studied Go in order to "beat him good".

Bantari wrote:
Present company excluded, of course.

I'm not at all immune to desire for victory, revenge, triumph, honor, the respect of others... no need to exclude me, at least. But to think that these are the only principles that motivate anyone to do anything is flat-out wrong; and I find it unlikely that these (and especially the first three) motivate people to study Go, in particular.

This post by jts was liked by 2 people: Aeneas, daal

Post #32 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:11 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
While I normally have a secondary reason for learning any one specific thing, I definitely do think I love to learn in its own right. A couple of years ago, I was looking for a game I could devote my mind to, as I had lost interest in gaming a few months earlier (after being disillusioned by SSBB, but that's another story). I wanted to satisfy my urge to compete, but also my urge to learn. I really do think learning is one of the most enjoyable things I do. You seem to be drawing some distinction between learning and improving, but I don't understand how that can occur in a thinking-based activity unless you simultaneously forget old knowledge as you learn new things, which seems unlikely in a normal human brain. Would I enjoy learning without ever improving? I would say I'm not really learning in such a case.

So, like I said in an earlier post, part of why I enjoy learning is to be stronger/better than others (in that subject field), fulfilling my competitive urges. However, were I not studying Go, or even competing at all, I would definitely have to find something else to fill my brain, as I don't like going more than a day or two without trying to learn things, and University is about to be over for the summer.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

This post by Dusk Eagle was liked by: Kirby

Post #33 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:40 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
Imagine the following situation:

Short after making your move (which was a normal move not an obvious mistake or so), you notice a nice tesuji for your opponent. If he finds it, you will lose a game where you thought you were ahead.
But your opponent misses the tesuji (suppose you are sure that he has really missed it, so no "found an even bigger move" kind of thing...)

Now, what are your feelings?
a- You are happy that your opponent missed it -> immediately fix the weakness in your shape
b- You get sad because the "true" game is somehow spoiled and you will eventually win a game you don't deserve
c- You still get upset with yourself (even though you are going to win) because you failed to see the tesuji beforehand

I think the honest answer to this question determines your attitude towards the game, in respect to this topic.

Post #34 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:00 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
'a' and 'c' for me.

Anyway, I was thinking about learning without improving more, and I was thinking about how learning Go history, for example, does not help your rank improve. I guess that provides a counterpoint to where I said "learning without improving is not really learning." Of course, you could always place that type of knowledge in a separate category than learning things about how to play the game itself...

Anyway, Bantari, doesn't the fact that many people enjoy learning Go history, for example, even though it rarely will improve your play, show that people do enjoy learning without any other benefit attached?

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #35 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:20 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
More interesting stuff in this thread too.

Kirby, I find it interesting that you see the rank as the benchmark that compares you against others and enables you to gauge where your winning chances are about even, which helps in your goal of achieving the objective of winning the game.

Maybe I'm odd, but my objective is almost entirely separate from the game result, which matters little to me. I like getting stronger, because the more strong I become the more I appreciate good moves, sequences and ideas in the game, regardless of whether I win or lose. Given the choice, I would like to play every game against a professional in an even game, despite 0% winning chances. Why? Because I get to admire and respect their skill by being on the receiving end, and I suspect I would learn and improve by just playing.

If I couldn't get any stronger, I wouldn't care about the game, even if I could beat everyone on the planet. It just wouldn't be fun for me. The fact with a lifetime's journey I'll never get there is unbelievably endearing to me. Am I the only one that just likes playing Go because it's elegant, deep, always just out of reach..?

Post #36 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:43 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 66
Was liked: 6
KGS: mic
topazg wrote:
Am I the only one that just likes playing Go because it's elegant, deep, always just out of reach..?

No ;-). I especially like Go because of its depth and being always out of reach. Altough I'm not sure what will happen to my interest if I'll ever reach some kind of plateau that I possibly can't overcome (wasn't there a thread about this?). Of course I can still appreciate good moves, but knowing that you'll never have the correct understanding / the ideas to play them by yourself could be quite tough.

I hope that this plateau -- if it exists -- is still far, far away.

Michael

This post by mic was liked by: topazg

Post #37 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:25 am 
Honinbo

topazg wrote:
More interesting stuff in this thread too.

Kirby, I find it interesting that you see the rank as the benchmark that compares you against others and enables you to gauge where your winning chances are about even, which helps in your goal of achieving the objective of winning the game.

...Am I the only one that just likes playing Go because it's elegant, deep, always just out of reach..?

Maybe the basis for my feeling is that it is difficult for me to really feel that I have become stronger if it is not reflected in being able to win more. I think that I feel that way in other areas of life, too.

I'm a software engineer in real life. It's hard for me to measure my "strength" as a software engineer unless I can see specific accomplishments that help my self-esteem. If I were very skilled as a software engineer, but it never amounted to anything that I could measure, it's hard for me to have any confidence in my ability at all. I could think to myself that I am awesome, but some part of me would say that I'm kidding myself.

In go, I can study and try to learn new things. If that effort is not projected into something that I can measure or feel, then I must admit that I have doubt that I'm really learning.

---
I will say that, in addition to winning, I do get some satisfaction from go problems. I feel like I've solved a puzzle, which is a good feeling. I can have that feeling because I feel accomplishment in getting a solution to the puzzle. In some ways, maybe solving a go problem feels like "winning the problem" to me.

If I were to work toward a game that had no solution, or no way to measure if I could win, it'd be hard for me to really tell if I was learning anything, or just... thinking, I guess.

When investigating go, I like to feel that I am improving, and not knowing less. If I do not have any sort of feedback (eg. winning, solving a go problem), it's hard for me to have confidence that I am really learning about go.

Post #38 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I definitely don't play go because it's "fun," and if you do I'd like to see your fun-o-meter while you're getting beaten in an even game. I do enjoy the thrill of battle up to a point; namely, up to the point at which I think that I still have a chance of winning. The only reason I play go is because I think it's cool.

Last edited by daal on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #39 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:30 am 
Honinbo

Dusk Eagle wrote:
...Would I enjoy learning without ever improving? I would say I'm not really learning in such a case....

Plus one to this thought... I would say that I can relate to this sentiment quite a bit. In addition, I treat winning and/or solving go problems as an indicator of improvement.

If there were another indicator of improvement, I might be satisfied with that as well. But so far I haven't found any. It's hard for me to have much confidence in improvement without a concrete indicator such as a win or being able to solve a go problem.

As a sidenote, I often wonder these days if I have gotten worse at go - probably because I do not experience these indicators as often as I used to... Maybe I'm just in a slump.

Post #40 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:15 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Bantari wrote:
hyperpape wrote:
But when I wish to learn and become stronger, I think about wanting to understand the professional games that I watch.

1. You actually give a pretty intelligent and good reason for wanting to improve - and one that I can wholeheartedly agree with. To understand better and thus enjoy more the games of stronger players. Probably the best reason I have ever heard.
Perhaps. But I also don't study as much as most people on the boards, or play as much, or improve as much. Maybe it's a coincidence, but perhaps really strongly wanting to win and compete is a better route to improvement.