Post subject: Re: Who will win the WAGC 2010
Post #21 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:22 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
HermanHiddema wrote:

I'm not suggesting we underestimate North Korea. Far from it, I think they stand a good chance to win it this year. Without a professional go system, they are in a similar situation to China 30 years ago, when they didn't have a professional system yet and players like Nie Weiping, Cao Dayuan and Ma Xiaochun won the WAGC. I just think it takes a bit of time with consistent results for "big" status :)

So far, it's been China (17x), Japan (8x) and Korea (4x, first time in 1998) that have been dominating the WAGC, with Hong Kong (1986) being the only other winner ever.

Regarding "big" status, I would say that it depends on personal opinion. When a country wins many times, it provides many positive data points that are likely to convince a good number of people of its "bigness"... But depending on the various factors that any particular individual takes into account to define what makes a "big status" country, people may come to different conclusions. I guess that I don't think that the "big status" is well-defined, so it's more of a personal opinion (i.e. how a person defines a country as "big") than anything else.

If I had enough faith in Antarctica that they were enough of a powerhouse in go to dominate the WAGC, I might call them a "big" go country, even if they hadn't won before. But I would probably have to have some other reasoning in mind other than game results to come to this conclusion.

So personally, I don't know enough about North Korea to call them one of the "big" countries myself, but maybe somebody that's taking other factors into account could rationally come to that conclusion.

Post #22 Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:32 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 33
Violence wrote:
... Big Three?

... Guys... North Korea is entering this year. I think we need to change this to Big Four.

Remember how they did at the WMSG?

For those of you who don't, Jo Tae Won took the gold in the ama-only event, with players like Jie Li, Hu Yuqing, and Victor Chow, along with the other Chinese rep, and both South Korean reps, who made it to the top 8.

Yeah. It's going to be a fun tournament to watch.

Yes North Korea rep is also very strong. The amazing thing about the WMSG final was that the North Korean player lost by time but the South Korean player didn't claim the win and they finished the game anyway. (I also heard that the South Korean player was leading by a few points in yose, and some said he allowed the North Korean to win as a gesture of good will for North Korean Go, may not be accurate tho ^^)

Post #23 Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:38 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 16
I miss the option to choose "Austria" ;-)
Bernd Scheid will crush everyone with the newest austrian special trick move :D

Post #24 Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:57 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
I just looked at the list of contestants, and I'm wondering how they're picked. There's 5k from Italy, a 6k from India, and several other kyus in the list. What gives? What kind of championship is this?

In any case, best of luck to T Mark. I hope you're happier in the tournament than your mugshot makes you look. :-)

Post #25 Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:01 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
kirkmc wrote:
I just looked at the list of contestants, and I'm wondering how they're picked. There's 5k from Italy, a 6k from India, and several other kyus in the list. What gives? What kind of championship is this?

Many of those are actually (among) the strongest players in their country. In the case of Italy, I hear the representative fell ill and a replacement was sent, though I do not know how that person was chosen.

Post #26 Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:00 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 41
HermanHiddema wrote:
kirkmc wrote:

Many of those are actually (among) the strongest players in their country. In the case of Italy, I hear the representative fell ill and a replacement was sent, though I do not know how that person was chosen.

You can check on their forums, but I think that Italy has a points system

Post #27 Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:05 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
kirkmc wrote:

Many countries have a system whereby a person cannot go to the WAGC more than once every so many years. If that number of years is more than the number of dan players who are able to go then sometimes you will see kyu players. I suspect there are several of the newer countries fall into the category.

Last edited by DrStraw on Tue May 25, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #28 Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:14 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Edit: DrStraw said it better than me.

Post #29 Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:29 am 
Gosei

kirkmc wrote:

I sometimes saddens me that I am a stronger player than half the participants there, yet I have zero chance of ever participating :)

Post #30 Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:31 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
HermanHiddema wrote:
I sometimes saddens me that I am a stronger player than half the participants there, yet I have zero chance of ever participating :)

Nonsense, you just need to start beating Geert Groenen and Merlijn Kuin regularly and you'll be there in no time, it's as easy as that :D

Post #31 Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:39 am 
Gosei

topazg wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:

Nonsense, you just need to start beating Geert Groenen and Merlijn Kuin regularly and you'll be there in no time, it's as easy as that :D

Yeah. And Frank Janssen, Emil Nijhuis, Michiel Eijkhout and Gerald Westhoff. And all the 5 dans. Easy. :lol:

There is, of course, some benefit of living within 100 miles of a dozen active 6 dans and 5 dans to play against regularly in tournaments ;)

Post #32 Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:48 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
HermanHiddema wrote:
Yeah. And Frank Janssen, Emil Nijhuis, Michiel Eijkhout and Gerald Westhoff. And all the 5 dans. Easy. :lol:

There is, of course, some benefit of living within 100 miles of a dozen active 6 dans and 5 dans to play against regularly in tournaments ;)

That's very true - Actually, I feel sure that the kyu representatives from India and Ecuador would envy your situation more than their own!

Post #33 Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:54 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 65
Was liked: 340
GD Posts: 2428
topazg wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:

That's very true - Actually, I feel sure that the kyu representatives from India and Ecuador would envy your situation more than their own!

I feel sure they envy Herman too...51 weeks out of the year.

Post #34 Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:00 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Herman, you can always move to kyu country, I'm sure you'd be welcome there. ;-)

Post #35 Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:13 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
kirkmc wrote:

In any case, best of luck to T Mark. I hope you're happier in the tournament than your mugshot makes you look. :-)

The lack of sponsorship this year will have had a significant impact on the quality of the field. It's no longer a case of sending the strongest player, but the strongest player who can also afford the flight.

Post #36 Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:54 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 16
Koffein wrote:
I miss the option to choose "Austria" ;-)

usgo.org wrote:
In one of Day 1’s most surprising upsets, Bernhard Scheid 5d (Austria) defeated Ondrej Silt 6d (l) of Czechia. Silt “made a joseki mistake and so I got the lead,” said Scheid, “but then he managed to complicate the game and my lead became less clear. But then he began to make mistakes in the endgame, and after a while he resigned.”

:D :D

Post #37 Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:21 am 
Gosei

Phelan wrote:
Herman, you can always move to kyu country, I'm sure you'd be welcome there. ;-)

I'm sure I would be, but I think the number of countries that will give me a passport in exchange for teaching their kyu players is rather limited. :lol:

No passport, no WAGC :)

Post #38 Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:53 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
HermanHiddema wrote:
Phelan wrote:

I'm sure I would be, but I think the number of countries that will give me a passport in exchange for teaching their kyu players is rather limited. :lol:

No passport, no WAGC :)

You are still improving and you afaik won games against former representatives as well, just work on the ratio. If you need some encouragement just start a poll here :P